• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do modern glossy paper bother anyone else?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

It’s one reason why I prefer reading on a tablet.  Fairly easy balance adjustment, the flexibility of the system across all types of presentation, old or modern.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, kav said:

any young timers think current spider man stories for instance atre better than the first 100 issues, are just confused.

The current Spider-Man run is so bad it I'd rather eat glass than continue reading. Stopped around issue 9.

I would much rather read the early run.

And they tell me I'm a "Young Timer" but kids these days call me old.

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

WW is looking good on this cover ...(spaghetti cover)

Wonder Woman #78

At the Motor City Comic Con some years ago, I spoke to William Messner-Loebs about his run on WW. He talked about the beautiful covers that Brian Bolland did during that time. He told me his Wonder Woman was modelled after actress Geena Davis. I said, yeah I can see that.

Then, when I met Bolland a few years later, I mentioned to him that I heard Geena Davis was his inspiration for Wonder Woman. He just looked at me and asked where the hell did I get that idea from?

1 minute ago, RadDude said:

Change it to the first 50 issues and I'll agree with you :foryou:

Rad, dude!

20 minutes ago, RadDude said:

What I hate more is the colored speech bubbles. I glad I don't have to read much Batman Who Laughs, the red words in black bubbles is ridiculous.

yep.  annoying.

5 hours ago, kav said:

Only Flash would eat spaghetti with no sauce- :facepalm:

Obviously they're low carb protein noodles. He finishes that off with a lean mean Isopure Keto friendly protein shake >:(!!! Look at the guy he's ripped to shreds 💪🏋️

Seriously though I agree with the dislike of how modern comics are produced. Especially the new attempts to recreate the FF...ughh that was rough to look at :sick:. Moderns give the impression too much technology is involved. Those old ads in that lovely newspaper stock were part of the charm. The smell the vintage look just everything about them. 

Edited by MGsimba77

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Obviously they're low carb protein noodles. He finishes that off with a lean mean Isopure Keto friendly protein shake >:(!!! Look at the guy he's ripped to shreds 💪🏋️

Seriously though I agree with the dislike of how modern comics are produced. Especially the new attempts to recreate the FF...ughh that was rough to look at :sick:. Moderns give the impression too much technology is involved. Those old ads in that lovely newspaper stock were part of the charm. The smell the vintage look just everything about them. 

this ^^^^^^^^
For god sake a 1000 times this!
Stop making comics for dumb adults-instead make em for smart kids.  STOP writing dialogue you learned from watching sitcoms.  Print on newsprint.
That should do the trick and sales will boom again!!!!

5 hours ago, jcjames said:

Old timers like us, everything was better back then. The paper was better, the art was better, the stories were better, even the ads were better. 

:preach:

Three Dog Night...Sea monkeys...Steve Austin figures...those super hero themed fruit pie ads! I mean c'mon, how do you top that :cloud9:

9 hours ago, kav said:

I hate glossy paper.  I really do.  I have to keep turning book to avoid glare so I can read the damn thing.  Boy do i miss newsprint.  Glossy screams cheap to me.

Totally agree - I hate the glossy paper - too hard to read.

12 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

At the Motor City Comic Con some years ago, I spoke to William Messner-Loebs about his run on WW. He talked about the beautiful covers that Brian Bolland did during that time. He told me his Wonder Woman was modelled after actress Geena Davis. I said, yeah I can see that.

Then, when I met Bolland a few years later, I mentioned to him that I heard Geena Davis was his inspiration for Wonder Woman. He just looked at me and asked where the hell did I get that idea from?

I can see it

10 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Three Dog Night...Sea monkeys...Steve Austin figures...those super hero themed fruit pie ads! I mean c'mon, how do you top that :cloud9:

Don’t forget Grit, Count Dante, and, of course, the Polaris Nuclear Submarine.  Just a classic period for comic ads.

We all have our favourites - so many to choose from.

Edited by Ken Aldred

12 hours ago, RadDude said:

What I hate more is the colored speech bubbles. I glad I don't have to read much Batman Who Laughs, the red words in black bubbles is ridiculous.

Yup.  The effects can sometimes enhance, but also sometimes involve poorly-considered, eyestrain-inducing colour combinations.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
13 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Don’t forget Grit, Count Dante, and, of course, the Polaris Nuclear Submarine.  Just a classic period for comic ads.

In retrospect, the only non-comics items I bought from those ads were the Revolutionary War Soldier sets.  I bought two of those.  I was probably too busy wasting all my money on comics, but I wish I had bought some of those other soldier sets. I think I saw someone on here that was trying to sell the Roman Soldier set.

image.thumb.png.d64ce49d24af54dc404bab2f33a9ac81.png

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Dont order this one folks-it's just a piece of paper that says to glue aluminum foil triangles on your eyelids when you are on stage.  As a 10 year old I didnt really see myself being on stage a whole lot.
Image result for flashing eyes comic book ad

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Log!

A little train humor and history - Pennsylvania Railroad advertisement, ca. 1940.

Rifleman's buddy I suspect.

1 minute ago, kav said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Log!

A little train humor and history - Pennsylvania Railroad advertisement, ca. 1940.

Rifleman's buddy I suspect.

Especially when Beddin' Down!! :banana: