• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Action comics #1
2 2

66 posts in this topic

Is Double Action comics real or not I am sure this subject as been discussed before. Would love to see a real clear big scan of this book, how much is a book like this worth. I would like this thread to be about double action comics and comics you would love to own but won't , mine is double action 1 and action comics 1 anybody have a real big scan of either.

Well that's not quite true. Overstreet claims a copy does exist, and was found in 1978 with 4 high grade Double Actions 2's. (See Overstreet 10.) He mentioned the book was saddle stiched. It was even listed for a while in the Overstreet with a value and sale price. It's an ashcan with a B/W cover. There is only one known copy.

Ian's photocopy has been debatable. Fishler claims its a fake and Ian's source wont give any background on the "color cover". It could very well be that both copies are real. Until we know more about both copies, the subject is still debatable.

Edited by Rip

Well that's not quite true. Overstreet claims a copy does exist, and was found in 1978 with 4 high grade Double Actions 2's. (See Overstreet 10.) He mentioned the book was saddle stiched. It was even listed for a while in the Overstreet with a value and sale price. It's an ashcan with a B/W cover. There is only one known copy.

Ian's photocopy has been debatable. Fishler claims its a fake and Ian's source wont give any background on the "color cover". It could very well be that both copies are real. Until we know more about both copies, the subject is still debatable.

Yeah, I knew about the saddle-stiched copy, but it's existence hasn't been verified. confused-smiley-013.gif If it does exist, I am surprised that no one has a picture of it. Has anyone outside of Overstreet seen it?

I'm guessing it does. The story has too much detail. I don't see how it could be a mistake.

I agree I wish someone would have a picture of it. But who knows confused-smiley-013.gif

I wish we knew more about both copies. frown.gif

The Action 1 ashcan has a hooded guy with a knife on the cover.

It also exists in color as a unused color cover for Detective 3.

Edited by Rip

I talked to Gary Calabono at the forum dinner in chicago about this book Both the color copy and the ashcan. He has been in D.C.'s vault looking at ashcans and said they didn't even have one of either the ashcan or the Color copy. By the way he has the only copy of all-american comics ashcan edition. If the king of ashcan's has never seen it it probably doesn't exist. Matt Nelson Made Ian Lavine's Recreation of Double Action # 1 So you might be able to contact him about the book.(If he will answer the phone)

Edited by thecollector

It's not a fake.

I promised not to break a confidence and I keep my promises.

But it's not a fake. It's the real artwork from the time. Whether a finished copy ever did exist and has been lost to the ravages of time I guess is a question that we will continue to ask.

Overstreet claims a copy does exist, and was found in 1978 with 4 high grade Double Actions 2's. (See Overstreet 10.) He mentioned the book was saddle stiched. It was even listed for a while in the Overstreet with a value and sale price. It's an ashcan with a B/W cover. There is only one known copy.

I still don't believe this.

It won't be the first mistake to appear in Overstreet.

One known copy.... then where is it ???

My reproduction of the original artwork is the only authentic Double Action 1 around. If this ashcan had a black and white cover, does it match the ghoul and the wolf cover ????

Overstreet claims a copy does exist, and was found in 1978 with 4 high grade Double Actions 2's. (See Overstreet 10.) He mentioned the book was saddle stiched. It was even listed for a while in the Overstreet with a value and sale price. It's an ashcan with a B/W cover. There is only one known copy.

I still don't believe this.

It won't be the first mistake to appear in Overstreet.

One known copy.... then where is it ???

My reproduction of the original artwork is the only authentic Double Action 1 around. If this ashcan had a black and white cover, does it match the ghoul and the wolf cover ????

I suspect Overstreet's story is real because of the details. I don't know where it is. As I've stated before there are many "lost treasures" that continue to turn up every year. To be able to suddenly produce such a unique book on demand is unrealistic. Until more information comes about both sources there will be a certain amount of doubt and mystery surrounding the book. If and when more info comes out I'm all ears.

But, I think you have to much a stake here to be an objective observer. poke2.gif

Edited by Rip