• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus's impact on the worldwide box office
3 3

572 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Hey @Bosco685can you come up with some figures on how Scoob did on its PVOD?  I tried, but I must not be googling the correct phrase because I cannot find any numbers.

‘Scoob!’ and ‘Capone’ Pull Strong VOD Numbers as Drive-Ins Lure Moviegoers

The big new movie of the week is VOD release “Scoob!” (Warner Bros.). (It’s available solely on VOD platforms at the cost of $19.99 for 48 hour rental, $24.99 unlimited rental.) All three VOD charts list the animated reboot at #1 for numbers of transactions (not revenue).

Warners had intended to release the Hanna Barbera feature in theaters, but moved it swiftly to PVOD where it clicked instantly, even faster than the April 10 PVOD launch for “Trolls World Tour” (Universal), which has remained high on VOD charts; three weeks ago it had been rented more than 95 million times in the U.S. With this apparent success, Warners Bros. might be expected to release some results, but unlike the theatrical box office, there is no established system for revealing immediate numbers.

Josh Trank’s “Capone” (Vertical), starring a cigar-chomping Tom Hardy as the ultimate gangster, was released last Tuesday at $9.99 (priced higher than the standard VOD release) and ranked as high as #2 on iTunes before settling there at #4 as well as FandangoNOW. It continues the pattern of star-driven titles gaining traction, such as last week’s “Arkansas” (Lionsgate) starring Liam Hemsworth. The question is whether “Capone” will sustain beyond the initial attention; in week two “Arkansas” plummeted.

‘The Lovebirds’ Is Netflix’s Number-One Movie, ‘Scoob!’ Leads VOD Charts

On the usual Memorial Day holiday, the summer box office is just reaching high gear. This weekend was supposed to launch “F9” into the stratosphere — until the pandemic forced Universal to push back the latest “Fast & Furious” franchise title to April 2, 2021.

As May comes to a close, “Scoob!” is continuing its premium VOD success for Warner Bros. (Generally, the top-ranked titles are similar to recent weeks.) This weekend’s newbie was Paramount’s once-planned April release “The Lovebirds,” starring Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani, which showed up at Netflix, while several other originals launched with varying reactions.

“Scoob!” soared everywhere.

“Scoob!” is the first movie to rank at number one at all four of our VOD viewing charts since IndieWire started tracking them in mid-March. While the volume of revenues remains unknown, the title led all total transactions, even when priced three-times higher than most other offerings.

Universal’s “Trolls World Tour,” which had already generated a reported $95 million several weeks ago, continues its strong showing, ranking as high as number two at Amazon Prime and FandangoNOW; for some reason, iTunes continues to not show it.

Amazon Prime

Ranked by number of transactions, with the daily position as of Monday, May 25

1. Scoob! (Warner Bros.) – $19.99/$24.99 to buy

2. Trolls World Tour (Universal) – $19.99

3. Bloodshot (Sony) – $5.99

4. The Hurt Locker (Lionsgate) – $1.99

5. Sonic the Hedgehog (Paramount) – 4.99

6. The Greatest Showman (Disney) – $3.99

7. Bad Boys for Life (Sony) – $5.99

8. Knives Out (Lionsgate) – $5.99

9. Fantasy Island (Sony) – $5.99

10. Jumanji: The Next Level (Sony) – $5.99

FandangoNOW

Ranked by revenue accrued not transactions, for the week ending Monday, May 25

1. Scoob! (Warner Bros.) – $19.99/$24.99 to buy

2. Trolls World Tour (Universal) – $19.99

3. The Invisible Man (Universal) – $14.99

4. Sonic the Hedgehog (Paramount) – $4.99

5. Bad Boys for Life (Sony) – $4.99

6. Capone (Vertical) – $9.99

7. Bloodshot (Paramount) – $4.99

8. Fantasy Island (Universal) – $4.99

9. Jumanji: The Next Level (Sony) – $4.99

10. Emma (Focus) – $5.99

Spectrum

Ranked by transactions for May 15-21; all are $6.99 except as noted

1. Scoob! (Warner Bros.) – $19.99

2. Fantasy Island (Sony)

3. Sonic the Hedgehog (Paramount)

4. Bloodshot (Sony)

5. Bad Boys for Life (Sony)

6. Capone (Vertical) – $9.99

7. Trolls World Tour (Universal) – $19.99

8. Blood and Money (Screen Media)

9. The Photograph (Universal)

10. Call of the Wild (Disney)

iTunes

Ranked by number of transactions, with the daily position as of Monday, May 18; excludes premium VOD rental-only titles

1. Scoob! (Warner Bros.) – $19.99, $24.99 to buy

2. Jumanji: The Next Level (Sony) – $5.99

3. Emma (Focus) – $5.99

4. Bloodshot (Sony) – $3.99

5. The Gentlemen (STX) – $5.99

6. Sonic the Hedgehog (Paramounnt) – $5.99

7. Bad Boys for Life (Sony) – $5.99

8. Birds of Prey (Warner Bros.) – $5.99

9. Midway (Lionsgate) – $5.99

10. Fury (Sony) – $4.99

Yeah, I saw where it was doing "good", but nobody is reporting numbers, so it is hard to say how good is good.

We bought it when it released on PVOD, so far two of my kids have watched it 5 times (age 7 and 11).  I've watched it twice ( once I gave it my full attention, the second time it was background noise).  It isn't a bad movie, especially for kids. 

3 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Yeah, I saw where it was doing "good", but nobody is reporting numbers, so it is hard to say how good is good.

We bought it when it released on PVOD, so far two of my kids have watched it 5 times (age 7 and 11).  I've watched it twice ( once I gave it my full attention, the second time it was background noise).  It isn't a bad movie, especially for kids. 

The kids enjoyed it that much?

We got Sonic last night as a gift. The kids loved it!

Just now, Bosco685 said:

The kids enjoyed it that much?

We got Sonic last night as a gift. The kids loved it!

Yeah, my two boys really enjoyed Scoob.  However they were in a scoob phase before the movie came out.  They have been watching the old Scooby Doo on Boomerang.  And I have to say that the Scooby Doo: Mystery, Inc series that ran from 2010 to 2013 is really good.

My kids loved the Sonic movie. 

Now that VOD has been proven as a viable platform, studios might be interested in shortening the gaps between theatrical releases and on-demand.

Movies might end up heading to on-demand even sooner after their theatrical runs following the coronavirus pandemic. The entertainment industry has undergone a lot of changes over the past few months, largely because of the pandemic. Not only did it shut down movie theaters back in mid-March, resulting in numerous films being pushed back, it also forced countless film and television productions to be delayed. Streaming services might be on the rise, but the traditional means of entertainment are struggling to find new ways forward. Arguably, theaters have been hardest hit by the pandemic, and they are the ones who especially threatened by the onset of streaming and VOD.

Universal was the first to break ranks by releasing Trolls World Tour directly to VOD instead of waiting for a theatrical run. It was an unprecedented move, and one that seemed to ultimately pay off for Universal. Because of that, the studio expressed its desire to continue exploring early VOD releases, as evidenced by its move to send The King of Staten Island and The High Note to on-demand without any chance of a theatrical run. However, this was met with intense disapproval from theater chains and owners, with AMC Theatres being the first to say they would no longer show any Universal films on their screens.

As this pandemic continues, the future of movies and how they will be shown continues to evolve. This latest update, courtesy of Deadline, suggests the window between a film's theatrical release and on-demand debut could end up being shortened. Typically, it takes 90 days for a movie to turn up on-demand after coming out in theaters. However, according to analyst Robert Fishman, that stretch of time is "an inefficient period that studios can no longer afford."

In place of SDCC, WB/DC is going to do its own virtual event.

Sources at GWW have received information and documentation that DC is currently planning to host a free, multimedia virtual fan experience on August 22, currently titled “DC FanDome“. It is planned to only be accessible for only 24 hours, starting at 10 am PDT, and will be a global event that promises new announcements from WB Games, Film, TV and comics. Current titles expected to be present at the event, including virtual appearances from the casts and creators, include feature films The Batman, Black Adam, The Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman 1984, as well as TV shows such as Titans, Doom Patrol and Stargirl.

The event promises to offer highly anticipated announcements and exclusive footage, as well as themed worlds to cater to fans of the movies, TV shows, video games, and of course the comics. Special presentations will be optional to the user, and it’s being described as a “virtual con” where fans will also be able to participate in events that have been localized for their specific region.

One has to wonder whether this news means that DC will be choosing to skip an appearance at the recently announced virtual SDCC this year, as any big announcements could just be saved for the FanDome event just the following month. This could also be a big move that other companies follow on the heels of, as SDCC has seen more and more big studios drop out as of late. Disney already has their own D23 convention, perhaps this will signal more studio-sponsored fan cons in the future.

and the dominoes keep tumbling:  Tenet to July 31, WW 2 to October

‘Tenet’ Moves To July 31; 10th Anniversary Re-release Of Christopher Nolan’s ‘Inception’ To Go On July 17

‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Jumps To October Following ‘Tenet’ Summer Shift

Edited by paperheart

On 3/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, paperheart said:

using wildly optimistic assumption that things open up again in July, US box office could be $5.5BB this year vs. $11.3BB in 2019

probably $5BB now

Edited by paperheart