• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

Another week, another Atlas run from zzutak. :cloud9:

Zzutak, can you give us some history on how you compiled this amazing set.

It's pretty standard stuff, really. My family didn't own a television, so card games and reading were our primary forms of entertainment once the sun went down. Most of my early acquisitions came via used bookstores and church/school bazaars. I grew up in Berkeley, so I also had access to some of the earliest brick-and-mortar comic shops and shows (Berkeley Con, Bay Con). Although I participated in some of the early telephone auctions, I've done very little buying since internet auctions became common. I was fortunate to meet Brian Peets (A-1 Comics) shortly after he retired from the NFL. Brian always has a great selection of vintage material -- so much so that my hoard should probably be called the "Zzutak-Peets Collection."

lol

99% of my books were purchased raw. However, the fragility of life has a way of becoming increasingly evident as one ages. So I've recently taken a few steps to consolidate my holdings. Sending the better portion of my Atlas collection down to Sarasota for certification was one element of this process.

Zzut - great job on a great title. Here's coupla innards to complement the compliment... (#s 14, 15, 24 respectively ...)

Thanks, Pat. My runs would look a lot better if someone (ahem) hadn't touted these books so much in the Comic Book Marketplace days. :baiting: It would not surprise me if fully half the readers of this thread discovered the joys of Atlas horror through your "Adventures Into Weird Words" feature.

:censored:lol

For the record, there's nothing sexier than a man with full mastery of the English language! :banana::banana::banana:

Zzut - great job on a great title. Here's coupla innards to complement the compliment... (#s 14, 15, 24 respectively ...)

Thanks, Pat. My runs would look a lot better if someone (ahem) hadn't touted these books so much in the Comic Book Marketplace days. :baiting: It would not surprise me if fully half the readers of this thread discovered the joys of Atlas horror through your "Adventures Into Weird Worlds" feature.

:censored:lol

For the record, there's nothing sexier than a man with full mastery of the English language! :banana::banana::banana:

Because it will appear sexist I will get slaughtered for saying this, but I speak from personal experience - there is nothing sexier than a woman without full mastery of the English language! lol

Edited by alanna

Zzutak, can you give us some history on how you compiled this amazing set.

It's pretty standard stuff, really. My family didn't own a television, so card games and reading were our primary forms of entertainment once the sun went down. Most of my early acquisitions came via used bookstores and church/school bazaars. I grew up in Berkeley, so I also had access to some of the earliest brick-and-mortar comic shops and shows (Berkeley Con, Bay Con). Although I participated in some of the early telephone auctions, I've done very little buying since internet auctions became common. I was fortunate to meet Brian Peets (A-1 Comics) shortly after he retired from the NFL. Brian always has a great selection of vintage material -- so much so that my hoard should probably be called the "Zzutak-Peets Collection."

lol

99% of my books were purchased raw. However, the fragility of life has a way of becoming increasingly evident as one ages. So I've recently taken a few steps to consolidate my holdings. Sending the better portion of my Atlas collection down to Sarasota for certification was one element of this process.

Thanks so much for the back story zzutak!

Johnny

Because it will appear sexist I will get slaughtered for saying this, but I speak from personal experience - there is nothing sexier than a woman without full mastery of the English language! lol

Professor Higgins certainly ended up thinking so ... though he had to teach her proper pronunciation.

Professor Higgins certainly ended up thinking so ... though he had to teach her proper pronunciation.

He didn't have to - he just enjoyed it!