• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
27 27

9,340 posts in this topic

That makes complete sense. The artists were so creative that in some instances, the side panel art was better than the interior story. As far as I know Atlas was the only publisher that did this technique on their covers. The vignettes really add charm to these books! (thumbs u

St John did it a lot.

pr12_zps28ae1056.jpg

1173770004a_zps12f9f93b.jpg

Very cool! Thanks for those and the other examples. I guess Atlas just sticks out in my mind as the most common. The other companies I didn't even notice.

That makes complete sense. The artists were so creative that in some instances, the side panel art was better than the interior story. As far as I know Atlas was the only publisher that did this technique on their covers. The vignettes really add charm to these books! (thumbs u

St John did it a lot.

pr12_zps28ae1056.jpg

1173770004a_zps12f9f93b.jpg

Very cool! Thanks for those and the other examples. I guess Atlas just sticks out in my mind as the most common. The other companies I didn't even notice.

I think they are kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes, as you note, the side panels are most interesting than the main panels. At other times, I wish the artist drawing the main panel had had the whole cover to work with.

I was bidding, but forgot about it and it slipped by...someone got a steal, kicking myself this morning.

..... I was at work and didn't put in a higher bid (285) because I fully expected it to break 900 bucks.... kind of just tracking it. Hard to beat an Everett cover with Wolverton inside. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Nice eBay transaction with garagesalesabbatical ...... all books are nicer than his grade. He's still got a few left. GOD BLESS...

MIA1.jpg

MIA12.jpg

MIB16.jpg

MIB22.jpg

MIB24.jpg

..... yes. The two 1958 (not really GA) Marines in Battle are probably my favorites..... they have those "Drucker period" Colan stories that I can't seem to get enough of.....man, what a Marvel Masterworks those would make. There's a lot of Sinnot in them and it's a shame his claim to fame is for inking Kirby.... his Horror and War are some of my favorite stuff from Atlas. The 22 has a fantastic Severin story, whose sparse output on the insides is lamentable..... but he was such a prolific cover artist. If I get motivated later I'll snap some shots and post them. The D.C. War canon (pun intended) was so top notch that almost everything else is overlooked.... and Atlas is chock full of fantastic stuff.... though the occasional dud will be encountered. Another favorite artist in the Atlas war gentre is Paul Reinman..... he's in many, many issues and rarely hits a "foul". My pal, Richard doesn't understand my fixation on Atlas..... but YOU do old friend. Once you get bitten by the Atlas "bug".... it's terminal you know. GOD BLESS...

Yep, I'm an Atlantean for life! ;)

Would love to see some Severin pages! :wishluck:

...... I don't know whether to thank him or hate him (just kidding)..... but I probably have Gene Carpenter to credit for having such a fantastic Atlas inventory several years ago. Pat Calhoun made me aware of them in CBM ( (worship) ) ..... but I never really saw many until I found out about Gene's " behind the table" boxes :o GOD BLESS....

...... I don't know whether to thank him or hate him (just kidding)..... but I probably have Gene Carpenter to credit for having such a fantastic Atlas inventory several years ago. Pat Calhoun made me aware of them in CBM ( (worship) ) ..... but I never really saw many until I found out about Gene's " behind the table" boxes :o GOD BLESS....

I actually started seeking them out in my first OSPG after rearing some of the reprinted stories that were published in the Marvel Bronze Age Horror titles...

What fun times! :cloud9:

I actually started seeking them out in my first OSPG after rearing some of the reprinted stories that were published in the Marvel Bronze Age Horror titles...

Ironically, that's kind of what primed the pump for me, too. I was snagging the BA books to catch the vintage Kirby and was exposed to the occasional "rot gut" Atlas reprint. I was probably in my early teens in those days and liked them a lot but had no clue what or where they were. By the time I had my paper route and could swing some mail order and the once or twice a year local conventions, I was dead ahead on FF , ASM, and such. I DO remember a show where a vendor had a box full of high grade Atlas pre heros and pre codes and they were BEAUTIFUL. ..... but he wanted 5 bucks a piece and my route generated maybe 10-15 a week.... so 5 was steep for me. To put it in perspective, at that same show I ended up snagging VF/NM copies of X-men 1 and JIM 85 for 5 bucks each. GOD BLESS...

Ironically, that's kind of what primed the pump for me, too. I was snagging the BA books to catch the vintage Kirby and was exposed to the occasional "rot gut" Atlas reprint. I was probably in my early teens in those days and liked them a lot but had no clue what or where they were. By the time I had my paper route and could swing some mail order and the once or twice a year local conventions, I was dead ahead on FF , ASM, and such. I DO remember a show where a vendor had a box full of high grade Atlas pre heros and pre codes and they were BEAUTIFUL. ..... but he wanted 5 bucks a piece and my route generated maybe 10-15 a week.... so 5 was steep for me. To put it in perspective, at that same show I ended up snagging VF/NM copies of X-men 1 and JIM 85 for 5 bucks each. GOD BLESS...

Well thanks to Stan Lee and some of the other editors for placing those tiny "*Originally Published in Menace #5" footnotes at the bottom of the fist page of the stories or I wouldn't have had a clue as where to start looking! lol

....do you remember the first pre code you ever bought ? GOD BLESS....

Had to think on that one a bit but yes...it was of course not an Atlas book! :o

At a flee market probably around 1978-79 I picked up 2 EC comics, Tales From The Crypt # 41( which I still have)

and Vault Of Horror # 26 (that I gave to Zeman (Kenny) for the Boards Secret Santa way back a while ago).

I believe my first Atlas precode was this baby! :cloud9:

AdventuresIntoWeirdWorlds24_zpsf048b86e.jpg

Had to think on that one a bit but yes...it was of course not an Atlas book! :o

At a flee market probably around 1978-79 I picked up 2 EC comics, Tales From The Crypt # 41( which I still have)

and Vault Of Horror # 26 (that I gave to Zeman (Kenny) for the Boards Secret Santa way back a while ago).

I believe my first Atlas precode was this baby! :cloud9:

AdventuresIntoWeirdWorlds24_zpsf048b86e.jpg

:headbang:

My first was Weird Chills # 1 in about Fine for 50 bucks..... maybe 20 years ago.... guess I was a late bloomer. I'd read reprints before.... just didn't aquire the real McCoy until then..... GOD BLESS...

My first was Weird Chills # 1 in about Fine for 50 bucks..... maybe 20 years ago.... guess I was a late bloomer. I'd read reprints before.... just didn't aquire the real McCoy until then..... GOD BLESS...

Good choice! (thumbs u

Doesn't matter when you start. When you're hooked, you're hooked! :insane:

Or this one...can't remember exactly. :blush:

MysteryTales12_zpsf30e1fb4.jpg

..... covers like that almost make a fella say "Everett..... what Everett ?" .....GOD BLESS...

P.S. Where you up your way back then.... with access to the Jersey/ New York market ?