• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

Bigfiver, those Atlas war covers rock! I'm sure Battle #30 just ended up on a dozen want lists since you posted it. I'd be more than happy with one in that shape! I've got to snag more pre-code Atals war books - so much cheaper than their DC counterparts and every bit as cool.

Bigfiver, those Atlas war covers rock! I'm sure Battle #30 just ended up on a dozen want lists since you posted it. I'd be more than happy with one in that shape! I've got to snag more pre-code Atals war books - so much cheaper than their DC counterparts and every bit as cool.

I was totally lucky to get that book... it's actually a CGC 7.0 ow/c (only one in the census) that I picked up off ebay a few years back... for something like $65. I had a lower grade copy, but this is definitely one that's nice to have in FN or better.

Atlas war has been a nice sideline whenever the DC war collecting gets too painful!! The stories and interior art aren't as consistent as the DC war books of the 1950s, but you cannot beat the Atlas covers... especially Heath's. They really, really are something else.

Shep

You've posted a lot of great Heath covers and they are certainly very different from his DC work, where, during this time, he was sparingly used on covers. He just wasn't asked, which I think is a shame.

Adamstrange,

Over at DC, Kanigher had a thing for Jerry Grandenetti on his covers (which were often fantastic). I wonder if Heath's penchant for the gory/violent/terrifying vibe on his covers put Kanigher off? It's documented that Kanigher hated the pre-code violence, and that he took a lot of pride in putting out comics that were entertaining, yet still wholesome.

But yeah, I think he just wasn't asked by Kanigher to do them.

By the way, nice covers yourself!

Shep

She's gonna slap him whether he kisses her or not. What a [embarrassing lack of self control]! 27_laughing.gif

Patsy's red hair and dress almost looks as though it has been silkscreened; it really makes the cover pop!

missA53.jpg

I wish most modern comic artists would learn something, ANYTHING, from the great Russ Heath.

Hey guys,

As promised, a smattering of Russ Heath's Atlas war covers. None in super high grade - but they're still killer. I love these. Here's my absolute favorite from my collection.

Battle30.jpg

That's killer. Great background colors too.

: bumpit.gifJIUW13.jpg

Nice Everett cover. The bouffant hairdo on the gal is a nice touch.

One of Heath's earliest war covers... possibly his first.

WA7.jpg

Off the top of my head, definitely not Heath's earliest War cover for ATLAS. I have his original artwork for the cover to BATTLE ACTION # 3, published June 1952 (which pre-dates WAR ACTION # 7 by four months):

11hf3ev.jpg

No idea if there are earlier examples . . . might be worth investigating.

As a quick postscript, the earliest Heath Atlas WAR covers I can find are:

BATTLE # 6, January 1952

WAR ADVENTURES # 4, May 1952

Followed by:

BATTLE ACTION # 3, June 1952

BATTLEFIELD # 2, June 1952

BATTLEFRONT # 1, June 1952

COMBAT # 1, June 1952

June '52 was a good month for Heath covers . . .

The classic Gung-Ho cover. I love this.

war26.jpg

I'm going to have to look for that one thumbsup2.gif

I took a minute to scan some more Atlas Wars. Don't expect anything high grade of course.

Heath - Battlefront 29

1257282-Battlefront29.jpg

1257282-CombatCasey30.jpg.4f082aa79a00d1edf258c9ba0e562212.jpg

Couldn't resist reposting Navy Action 4 -

1257285-NavyAction4s.jpg

That is such a cool cover that I forgive you. flowerred.gif