• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
27 27

9,323 posts in this topic

My first Spaceman, and hopefully not my last - Everett cover, 3x Maneely stories, and 1x Romita piece. A perfect raw reader for me...

5acfffa2-b57a-41f8-b8b7-443d6dc0c3fb_zps6abdfec0.jpg

I like that cover. It's on my list to look for at Wizard next week. :acclaim:

Been a busy summer at the house so not much time scanning.

Here's a recent buy, Western Kid # 2. In it you get 3 Western Kid stories by Romita behind the Maneely cover and 1 filler but by Jack Katz whose Atlas output I generally find interesting and the tone of the story added to Katz's artistic effort. Some might not like the Western Kid stories as so much of the plot is carried by Whirlwind and esp. Lightning that many times, Tex Dawson a.k.a. the Western Kid appears dumber than the animals but I like that kind of stuff so count me in as a Western Kid fan :)

WesternKid2_zpsc9d090c6.jpg

That sounds like a very solid Atlas Western (thumbs u

Outlaw Kid # 9 - Another Maneely cover and this time it's a Wildey trio inside. The Outlaw Kid is a fairly generic character though I like his style as portrayed on the cover but it's really odd to see him wander around town with his mask / scarf on all the time, esp. with that name though it's clear to every one he is a good guy. Heck, they rally and cheer when he appears. As his alter ego, he made a promise to his father not to fight and that's why he takes on his Outlaw Kid persona.

Wildey is unapologetically spending more time on his splash pages than he is on any other pages which gives the stories an unbalanced feel unfortunately.

OutlawKid9_zpsda80a7d8.jpg

OutlawKid9-WildeySplash-Story2_zps8a13745b.jpg

Thanks for posting those Westerns, Scrooge. it's always nice to see full size scans of Maneely covers.

Here is the latest addition to my paltry Atlas collection. Picked it up because I liked the Sale cover. Interestingly it has both a Feb. 11 date stamp, and a neatly handwritten date of "Feb. 13, 1954" above the C in the title, which I'm guessing was added by the purchaser. I t features interior art by a couple decent artist I'm unfamiliar with, Mac Pakula & C.A. Winter, the latter whose style is somewhere between Berg and Elder.

justice045_zpse4f340f1.jpg

Thanks for posting those Westerns, Scrooge. it's always nice to see full size scans of Maneely covers.

Here is the latest addition to my paltry Atlas collection. Picked it up because I liked the Sale cover. Interestingly it has both a Feb. 11 date stamp, and a neatly handwritten date of "Feb. 13, 1954" above the C in the title, which I'm guessing was added by the purchaser. I t features interior art by a couple decent artist I'm unfamiliar with, Mac Pakula & C.A. Winter, the latter whose style is somewhere between Berg and Elder.

justice045_zpse4f340f1.jpg

Judging by the word bubble, there may be a Scooby-Doo cameo in this one. hm

You're correct that's a book I've not often seen.

From the recently-in pile - Young Men # 19

YoungMen19_zps414c7c7c.jpg

Highlight is this Everett story: Revolution -

YoungMen19-Revolution2_zps99fca121.jpg

YoungMen19-Revolution3_zpsc211caa9.jpg

YoungMen19-Revolution4_zps1245da31.jpg

YoungMen19-Revolution5_zps8d7ac0b3.jpg

..... thanks, Mike...... you're always cool about posting shots of the actual stories and it's greatly appreciated...... especially when it's Everett :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. As I've started paying closer attention to the Atlas War genre, I've found a renewed fascination and respect for the Gene Colan efforts. He's been a favorite of mine since the SA Daredevil days when I was a kid..... and then Tomb of Dracula..... but the War shorts of his are so obviously labors of love.

That's a perfect example of what I love about Atlas war. For issue 20 Everett continues Washington's story with "Valley Forge."

Those are nice, Atlas books look so nice in grade..... and many of the war and westerns are still less than 100 bucks in high grade..... IF you can find them. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u