• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
27 27

9,323 posts in this topic

Complete Collection of Jungle Action, Jungle Tales, Jann of the Jungle, and Lorna, the Jungle Girl.

I saw these at a local convention yesterday.

Not a genre I collect, but I was nonetheless impressed with the overall colors, gloss, and page quality of the collection.

All from the same source, they had a stamp on the back I hadn't seen before.

Dummy me, forgot to take a picture... doh!

Thanks for sharing the splash page. Very cool. (thumbs u

This issue features a nice Everett story

GirlConfessions17_zpsfd5a32b3.jpg

Here's the splash:

GirlC17Everettsplash_zps960a130b.jpg

Here's one of my SDCC pick-ups featuring a really cool Heath cover:

WarComics23_zps73dce0d6.jpg

This cover should be broken out as a classic no doubt.

I completely agree with you!

War Comics 11 sports THE classic Heath flamethrower cover, but this one isn't to bad either.

Battlefield6_zpseda4247e.jpg

Edited by gojira

Here's one of my SDCC pick-ups featuring a really cool Heath cover:

WarComics23_zps73dce0d6.jpg

This cover should be broken out as a classic no doubt.

The color design was done by Heath as well. He was very pleased with his work, which isn't always the case with art from his early days.

I've posted this book but, iirc, it was a while back in a different thread.

Battlefront.jpg

I've posted this book but, iirc, it was a while back in a different thread.

Battlefront.jpg

:takeit:

One of these days I am going to take a census of all Atlas books graded 9.6 - I bet there would be less than a dozen.

This is a complete freak of nature like the Uncanny in the Clink auction.

To my knowledge there is no Atlas book graded a 9.8.

Edited by Johnny545

One of these days I am going to take a census of all Atlas books graded 9.6 - I bet there would be less than a dozen.

A quick check on Greg's site :hail: is 17

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/customissues.asp?pub=Atlas%20Comics&ShowDetail=N

Of course, I don't / can't know how consistent CGC is at listing Atlas Comics for these books and there are some goofy stretch of time in there, meaning it includes some later issues of TTA and TOS. You can amuse yourself looking at each title here:

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/titlechoice.asp?pub=Atlas+Comics

to ferret out which 17 they are. For example, there is a 9.6 Millie # 6 from 1947 and also 9.6's of Patsy Walker # 8, 9 & 12 from 1947. Also there are both a Marvel Tales # 110 & 111 in 9.6

Also note that there are 2 listed in 9.8 including a Patsy Walker # 2 from 1945.

Thanks Scrooge!

17 is more than a dozen, but still amazing that out of all Atlas books only 17 graded a 9.6 and only two made 9.8.

Amazing.

Titles x issues per title x print run per issue = (insert rough calculation of how many tens of millions).

Insanely rare to have a 9.6 Atlas book.

Johnny

I think that including books from 1945 and 1947 isn't appropriate when trying to understand what "Atlas" produced. Patsy Walker 8,9 had "Marvel Comics" printed on the cover. Marvel Tales 93 - 96 might be considered early Atlas but they all have the Marvel Comics bullet on their cover. It isn't until Dec 1951 with issue 104 that you see an Atlas globe.

The transition from Timely to Atlas is fairly confusing as it included books with a Marvel logo followed by inconsistent use of different Atlas logo's over a several year period. I think there was a CBM or Alter-Ego that had an extensive article on the evolution of the logo.

There are probably a few books out there that are 9.6s that just haven't been slabbed.

WorldofSuspense8.jpg