• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
27 27

9,323 posts in this topic

Heath likes to draw realistically and he likes to color realistically, though in an interesting way. Typically the explosion would be shown against a black background but what Heath wanted to do was to show the scene lighted at the point when the explosion generated the peak amount of light.

He made the colors of the uniforms match what they would look like under the reddish light of the explosion. This is why the caps' Red Star doesn't look very red (red under a red light looks dark) and why the green of the Commie's uniform looks particularly intense.

As I stated:

"Of course, I don't / can't know how consistent CGC is at listing Atlas Comics for these books and there are some goofy stretch of time in there"

There were no complaints on my end for what you posted. I was just elaborating on how messy it would be to try and "clean up" the numbers. :foryou:

Evidently Heath did not get paid for coloring. If he was turning work into the office and he had time he would ask if he could do the color design and they were generally happy to let him. He didn't indicate he did it for anyone else's covers so I generally look for it only on his covers when I see them "stand" out from the typical Atlas coloring.

I know from conversation with him that he did War 23 but I think that he also did the color design for this book.

BattleGround5.jpg

Evidently Heath did not get paid for coloring. If he was turning work into the office and he had time he would ask if he could do the color design and they were generally happy to let him. He didn't indicate he did it for anyone else's covers so I generally look for it only on his covers when I see them "stand" out from the typical Atlas coloring.

I know from conversation with him that he did War 23 but I think that he also did the color design for this book.

BattleGround5.jpg

Never saw that cover before. Great Heath!

I've gone through my Atlas war from time to time trying to speculate on which books he may have contributed to from a color perspective. The problem is that -- as a rule -- Atlas war had really nice coloring on the covers in that '53-'55 time frame.

I've gone through my Atlas war from time to time trying to speculate on which books he may have contributed to from a color perspective. The problem is that -- as a rule -- Atlas war had really nice coloring on the covers in that '53-'55 time frame.

Don't strain yourself. Give them all to me and I'll figure it out. :angel:

Here's another Atlas war book I picked up at SDCC.

Battlefield2_zpsc6ede98d.jpg

The interior on that one is great as well. If you haven't read "Atrocity Story"... well, get to reading!

Yes, that story is quite something!