• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

It does certainly seem Everett stepped up the detail on most of the post code covers. Perhaps it was his way of making a tamed down cover more interesting? Whatever the reason, his post code work is spectacular!

It does certainly seem Everett stepped up the detail on most of the post code covers. Perhaps it was his way of making a tamed down cover more interesting? Whatever the reason, his post code work is spectacular!

Everett's often superb post-code covers were all about implied menace and foreboding, and usually promised considerably more than the stories within the book.

It may be the code spurred an adjustment but I think it more likely that he had continually refined his talent through his years in the industry.

At that point he was in his late 30s and I suspect had a level of control and craft to enable him to draw most anything he imagined. Sadly, I don't think he ever fully recovered from the Atlas implosion as he had a lot of great comic art still in him.

It may be the code spurred an adjustment but I think it more likely that he had continually refined his talent through his years in the industry.

At that point he was in his late 30s and I suspect had a level of control and craft to enable him to draw most anything he imagined. Sadly, I don't think he ever fully recovered from the Atlas implosion as he had a lot of great comic art still in him.

Yes I agree but it did seem that he used much more stippling and crosshatching in the post code covers. So much so that I believe it is easy to identify between pre/post code styles. Here is a splash I posted before from his Skywald work from Nightmare #2 in 1971.

143414.jpg.89c9ca2cd25dd96f04b46a4740774c4e.jpg

Magnificent!!!!

IIRC, that's from the very brief period after he gave up drinking and started to get his mojo back.

Everett's often superb post-code covers were all about implied menace and foreboding, and usually promised considerably more than the stories within the book.

Also agree. Sadly that was true of most pre-code books also! :(

Magnificent!!!!

IIRC, that's from the very brief period after he gave up drinking and started to get his mojo back.

I'd like to believe so too but there is no date to confirm if the artwork was done for that particular issue or if it was something he had done in the past and let them publish.

When Everett drew the cover & the interior for pre-code horror I think he delivered but too often there were other lesser artists packaged inside one of his covers.

When Everett drew the cover & the interior for pre-code horror I think he delivered but too often there were other lesser artists packaged inside one of his covers.

Everett was a tough act to follow no matter who was inside. Severin was also at that level IMHO. The Pet Shop issue actually has some decent work inside.... a Drucker, Torres, and Kweskin, among others..... but the stories are kind of tame. Other than the slight miswrap on our copy, it's pretty sharp..... and I was thinking about you when I got it..... that it was the kind of book you might have in your "freak of nature" collection. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thought I would post this here also. I believe this is the 2nd highest. (The census shows a 9.0 and a 9.2, but from the HA archives it looks like that is the same River City copy that was taken out of the old label holder, pressed and re-slabbed... I could be wrong. If anyone knows send me a PM.).

IMG_3981_zpsb0f11ef8.jpg

I just noticed they show blood on the blade of the guillotine. Wicked. (thumbs u

Correct. The River City ST #16 in CGC 9.0 (SN 0011254003) was sold at auction in May 2010. It subsequently reappeared as a unpedigreed CGC 9.2 (SN 0179074006) in May 2011. Six months later, it sold at auction again ...... for a mere 54% of the 2010 sale price. The original label was never surrendered to CGC.

Sometimes Karma can be a real person_without_enough_empathy. lol

That's a fact, but it isn't as difficult as ST22.

The highest graded ST22 is a 6.5 - which seems strange/inexplicable.

I can only assume there are higher grade copies out there, but maybe not.

Can anyone recall seeing one?

Edited by Johnny545