• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oops, I won. Can you do local pickup from Hakes?

15 posts in this topic

So I won something kinda big, shipping is crazy, Im only 1.5 hr drive away. 

Does anyone know if Hakes allows for local pickup? 

(I figured I'd ask here since some of you guys dont go over to Comics General, and you guys also strike me as the likeliest to do a local pickup)

5 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

(I figured I'd ask here since some of you guys dont go over to Comics General, and you guys also strike me as the likeliest to do a local pickup)

Call them?

9 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Yeah Im happy about it if I can get around the $250 shipping cost.... 

1903795374_comicstand.thumb.jpg.ea60075145913e0a090577bbc3138a9e.jpg

It looks like a fun item! I would have no idea how to value something like that--somewhere between $200 and $500, maybe? Am I close?

16 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Hi MM

It appears you can pick-up.  I think you should still call and schedule but from their terms of sale - 

https://www.hakes.com/Article/1250/160925/Terms-Of-Sale

6. Pennsylvania, Maryland, California, New Jersey, New York, Illinois and Virginia residents must pay state sales tax or provide re-sale number. Out of state bidders picking up items at our office are subject to 6% PA state sales tax, unless a copy of your re-sale number is provided.

Got an Email from Heather at Hakes this morning. 

Yep Pickups are just fine. 

BUT

Guess what they arent doing during the Covid19 shutdown/social distancing? 

Yep

No Local Pickups. But she said to check back in at the end of the week and see where things stand. And they dont mind holding it for me until the policy changes at their office. 

11 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

It looks like a fun item! I would have no idea how to value something like that--somewhere between $200 and $500, maybe? Am I close?

Yep, won it for $481. I never seem to find them in decent shape, or close enough to pick up. So I didnt mind paying the high end of the value. I also like the rack more than the spinner (just my thing) and seem to see the spinner more often. 

9 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Yep, won it for $481. I never seem to find them in decent shape, or close enough to pick up. So I didnt mind paying the high end of the value. I also like the rack more than the spinner (just my thing) and seem to see the spinner more often. 

Everybody remembers the spinner racks fondly, but what I remember about them is that comics would often flop forward over the wires and get spine stress. The rack you bought looks like it would do a much better job of protecting the books.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/14/2020 at 7:21 PM, tpetty said:

Yikes.  $250 seems crazy.  That thing can't weigh more than what, 25 pounds?

It's big and metal. Probably more than 25 lbs and then there's all the packing....

Either way it's staying in Pennsylvania for the time being...

On 3/14/2020 at 6:21 PM, tpetty said:

Yikes.  $250 seems crazy.  That thing can't weigh more than what, 25 pounds?

I don't think the weight is causing the high shipping cost. First, it is very cumbersome, so finding a weigh to ship will be difficult. Second, the size of the box to ship it would be very large; I think UPS and FedEx factor this when determining shipping costs. Lastly, as the post above this post says, packing it so it arrives will also be difficult.

I do think $250 is high, but I would like to know the amount UPS or FedEx would charge for delivering the package.