• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Market on Disney Books?

39 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Doesn’t matter much to me if Ducks are a good investment or not, I enjoy owning them.

FC 29 is my hands down all-time favorite Duck book, so I sprung for this raw mid-grade back in January... and am very happy I did (near white pages, too).

EC92D21E-54D5-4162-A36A-251D4349B5DD.jpeg

Beautiful copy!

46 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

We’ll for starters they had probably never been there as that book would have come out shortly after Disneyland opened and was probably produced before it opened in July of ‘55. Additionally, they were trying to jam as much as possible into the cover rendering and took much liberty with whatever information they had.

By the way have you ever seen the original concept art for Disneyland by Herb Ryman? It’s been reproduced but I’ve been lucky enough to see the original in person; an amazing piece of work.

I just found it online.  Pretty impressive.  I still have a large Disneyland wall map from the 1960s.  I never did put it on the wall...:whatthe:

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Doesn’t matter much to me if Ducks are a good investment or not, I enjoy owning them.

FC 29 is my hands down all-time favorite Duck book, so I sprung for this raw mid-grade back in January... and am very happy I did (near white pages, too).

Beautiful book, Steve, of what I think is the hardest Barks issue to find in high grade.

21 hours ago, Bronty said:
23 hours ago, tth2 said:

A Four Color #9 in CGC 9.4 with C-OW pages just sold for $38k.  'Nuff said.

Is that higher than past sales?

Yes, last sale of a FC 9 in 9.4, with OW pages, was $31k.

21 hours ago, Bronty said:

What are your thoughts on FC9?   Personally I think #29 is the better book.    You can really see the 'shared' duties on #9 when you look at the interior pages.

As a comic, FC 29 is a better book than FC 9.  But FC 9 is the first Barks Duck book, and that trumps everything else. 

One might prefer Detective 31 to Detective 27, but the first appearance of Batman will always trump every other Bat book.

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Sweet looking copy, Steve! :applause:

10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

We shall see in May how Disney books do.  Heritage has an amazing array of high grade issues coming up for sale.  I know I will be watching quite a few and hopefully bidding on some.

You beat me to it, I was just going to post about all the high grade Duck books in the upcoming Heritage auction.

There's also a FC 9 in 9.0, FC 199 in 9.6, FC 367 in 9.4 and WDCS 98 in 9.4, among others. 

Edited by tth2

Many Disneys, especially the earlier ones, have gorgeous artwork.  This is actually true of a lot of '40s and '50s Dells in general.  It's a shame the hobby has become so massively focused on just super-heroes.  These mid-century non-hero books can be spectacular, particularly in grade, and the colors, even on photo-covers, often just pop.  The paper quality on Dells was often decent, and the quality and look of their books was in many ways ahead of its time.

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

You beat me to it, I was just going to post about all the high grade Duck books in the upcoming Heritage auction.

There's also a FC 9 in 9.0, FC 199 in 9.6, FC 367 in 9.4 and WDCS 98 in 9.4, among others. 

They are offering up a pretty spectacular array of books.

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yes, last sale of a FC 9 in 9.4, with OW pages, was $31k.

As a comic, FC 29 is a better book than FC 9.  But FC 9 is the first Barks Duck book, and that trumps everything else. 

One might prefer Detective 31 to Detective 27, but the first appearance of Batman will always trump every other Bat book.

That was the conventional thinking.

Last 20 years or so I think it’s become understood that the first works of an artist are often nothing to get excited about.    Even the first frazetta in tally-ho is not a sought after book.   there’s really no reason for #9 to carry a premium over #29 except inertia from the old guides.    Furthermore, I’m not convinced that 9.4/9.6/9.8 copies of 29 wouldn’t beat equal copies of #9 at auction.   

Edited by Bronty

Certainly the days of Disney or Barks Ducks being comparable to Superman or Batman have gone the way of New Coke. 

that said when a 3.0 Archie 1 sells for $25k Scooby 1 9.4 is a $10k book.  It may be time find value in some Disney keys. VG 1950s non keys are $2 forever. 

Fc 178 and other Scrooge keys like 179. 9.4 of each are still affordable and impressive 

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

That was the conventional thinking.

Last 20 years or so I think it’s become understood that the first works of an artist are often nothing to get excited about.    Even the first frazetta in tally-ho is not a sought after book.   there’s really no reason for #9 to carry a premium over #29 except inertia from the old guides.    Furthermore, I’m not convinced that 9.4/9.6/9.8 copies of 29 wouldn’t beat equal copies of #9 at auction.   

I think there's a difference between first work of an artist and first work of an artist on a series they're specifically associated with.

2 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I think there's a difference between first work of an artist and first work of an artist on a series they're specifically associated with.

That’s fair, but there’s also a difference between that and the first appearance of a character , which was the analogy originally drawn.   

On 3/14/2020 at 12:39 AM, Mac Man said:

I have ALWAYS loved the covers of the GA Disney Books, but given the prices, I'm forced to look at them from a collector / investor POV.

With that in mind, do you believe that Disney books are an investment worth making? 

No, not at all. Only buy them if you are a fan.

Recently returned to enjoying and collecting comics.  Disney was a huge part of my childhood, at least on Sunday nights.  To have a chance at a piece of that feeling again is much appreciated.  My first attempt at dipping my toes into the Disney waters is this raw, as found copy.  The best part of it all, is that my folks may have read this book back in the day..

IMG_4974.JPG

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I love Disney books and have 100s but the vast majority I have bought at discount to guide prices. I like to say I channel my inner Uncle Scrooge when buying Disney and almost always look for the bargain. Collect what you love and you will never be disappointed.:x

FC_147_CGC_FRONT.9.4.thumb.jpg.eaf222bc214ecfb811328e4e4f356ed2.jpg

You can find a lot of vintage Disney's on ebay for under guide prices, but the best scores are at conventions where you can haggle with the seller in person.  Always carry a price guide and pound on it for effect.  They seem to love it...lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian