• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Strange Adventures 12 (GRADE IS IN)

49 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I disagree with CGC here. I can see a 9.4 after pressing.

This is why I won't send my raw books in for grading. That's what I see as well. I'd be burnt up if there were spine ticks and I got a 9.8 and I'd be burnt up if my obvious 9.4 came back as anything less.

Sometimes I think - despite some obvious benefits - that we have relied too heavily on third party grading. I have 2 books that are slabbed at 10.0 which I agree with because they look like they were printed right into the slab, but someone else might say NO book deserves a 10.0. But since they belong to me, there becomes an obvious bias. To me, third party grading only matters if one is a seller. Otherwise, does it matter? My only real criteria is I want certain books and they must present a certain way. No one wants to own a rat. Unless they are cute and fuzzy.

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

This is why I won't send my raw books in for grading. That's what I see as well. I'd be burnt up if there were spine ticks and I got a 9.8 and I'd be burnt up if my obvious 9.4 came back as anything less.

Sometimes I think - despite some obvious benefits - that we have relied too heavily on third party grading. I have 2 books that are slabbed at 10.0 which I agree with because they look like they were printed right into the slab, but someone else might say NO book deserves a 10.0. But since they belong to me, there becomes an obvious bias. To me, third party grading only matters if one is a seller. Otherwise, does it matter? My only real criteria is I want certain books and they must present a certain way. No one wants to own a rat. Unless they are cute and fuzzy.

I guess I have the only 9.8 in history with spine ticks 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I buy CGC for SS and authentication. 10/Gem Mint must exist for "perfection" reference point. Your perception is 100% valid, though.

Just now, LDarkseid1 said:

I guess I have the only 9.8 in history with spine ticks 🤷‍♂️

As I mentioned, I have an issue with grading ambiguity. There are 9.4 and 9.6 Green Arrow/Green Lanterns with ticks up and down the spine. They just don't present like NM. The problem being a seller will want 9.4 or 9.6 money for it while they present as a 7.5 realistically. I have collected Strange Adventures Adams Deadman run slabbed and SS and most of them run in the 7.0-8.5 range. Some of the 7.0's are really REALLY nice for that grade. Means I can buy a nicely presenting book for 7.0 prices. It's just weird the way they grade sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

As I mentioned, I have an issue with grading ambiguity. There are 9.4 and 9.6 Green Arrow/Green Lanterns with ticks up and down the spine. They just don't present like NM. The problem being a seller will want 9.4 or 9.6 money for it while they present as a 7.5 realistically. I have collected Strange Adventures Adams Deadman run slabbed and SS and most of them run in the 7.0-8.5 range. Some of the 7.0's are really REALLY nice for that grade. Means I can buy a nicely presenting book for 7.0 prices. It's just weird the way they grade sometimes.

I just think you’re comparing apples to oranges there. You’re talking Bronze Age books to Golden age. Considerably different paper quality and will change how CGC grades the books.

Edited by LDarkseid1

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I buy CGC for SS and authentication. 10/Gem Mint must exist for "perfection" reference point. Your perception is 100% valid, though.

Same here for the most part. I like to think I'm adroit enough to be able to recognize say Neal Adams signature or Wrightsons. So, I can buy signed raw books. Frank Frazetta? Not so much. The reason I like 3rd party grading is mostly restoration detection. I'd be heartbroken to pay $20-$30k for a book to find out it was heavily restored. I can handle "slight color touch" but not giant chunks added and color touch added with a paint roller. Isn't that basically why 3rd party graders came into being?

5 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I just think you’re comparing apples to oranges there. You’re talking Bronze Age books to Golden age. Considerably different paper quality and will change how CGC grades the books.

Agreed. As I say, I am unaware of their grading criteria between all the ages. Maybe golden age white means antique white. I saw a GA book awhile ago where the cover was probably 4.0-ish but the pages were bone white. Really really white. I wish I had kept a picture of it.

Agreed. As I say, I am unaware of their grading criteria between all the ages. Maybe golden age white means antique white. I saw a GA book awhile ago where the cover was probably 4.0-ish but the pages were bone white. Really really white. I wish I had kept a picture of it.

I’m not sure if I’ll sell by the way. Part of me wants to unseat the current CGC registry set leader for Strange Adventures, but it’s not going to be easy. He has a lot of points. I got some other solid copies I sent in though that will help and I have more to send. So we’ll see.

Edited by LDarkseid1

9 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m not sure if I’ll sell by the way. Part of me wants to unseat the current CGC registry set leader for Strange Adventures, but it’s not going to be easy. He has a lot of points. I got some other solid copies I sent in though that will help and I have more to send. So we’ll see.

When I have something unique, I never sell. I mean it's just a Bat #234, but it's unique and "rare" enough to be part of the permanent "family". Part of this is bragging rights as well. Far more valuable than money. LOL! You have something unique.

4 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

When I have something unique, I never sell. I mean it's just a Bat #234, but it's unique and "rare" enough to be part of the permanent "family". Part of this is bragging rights as well. Far more valuable than money. LOL! You have something unique.

Yeah it’s tough sometimes. I own a low grade Tec 27 I’m trying to complete. It’s horribly tough to find the missing parts and even more expensive 😁. I may sell someday, but not sure as it’s not easy coming by first Batman.

Edited by LDarkseid1

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah it’s tough sometimes. I own a low grade Tec 27 I’m trying to complete. It’s horribly tough to find the missing parts and even more expensive 😁. I may sell someday, but not sure as it’s not easy coming by first Batman.

People are starting to sell single pages now as you know. Those things can command some money. I don't think I would sell anything but the non Batman pages. I mean if I were convinced I probably wont be able to complete the book.

I held an Action1, Supes 1, All Star 3, Bat 1, Tec 27 and an All American 16 in my lap once. A friend who was LOADED loved comics and bought whatever she wanted. She showed me what a real GA collection looked like. I thought I was going to pass out.

8 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

People are starting to sell single pages now as you know. Those things can command some money. I don't think I would sell anything but the non Batman pages. I mean if I were convinced I probably wont be able to complete the book.

I held an Action1, Supes 1, All Star 3, Bat 1, Tec 27 and an All American 16 in my lap once. A friend who was LOADED loved comics and bought whatever she wanted. She showed me what a real GA collection looked like. I thought I was going to pass out.

Yeah they’re all tough to obtain. I have a couple pages of action 1, but not any of the Superman pages.

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah they’re all tough to obtain. I have a couple pages of action 1, but not any of the Superman pages.

I'm sorry about that. I have come to terms with the idea I will likely never own a copy of any of them. That same friend I mentioned scored 3 raw Bat 1's the classic way. Bought them from an old farmer who had a run of Bat 1-52. 3 #1s, 3#2's and 2#3's in the bottom of the bag. She offered me one of the #1's in 1983 for $3k. I did not have $3k being a 20 year old kid. All three were in the 6.5 range. That's as close as I will ever get. It's always out of reach no matter what. Metro (or someone) wants $800K for the 8.0 Larson copy. I don't have $800k either.

My wife is funny, though. She says "If you ever get one/find one, we can sell it and buy a bigger house." If I ever "get one/find one", I would NEVER sell it unless I needed food. That's the grail right there, buddy.

4 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I'm sorry about that. I have come to terms with the idea I will likely never own a copy of any of them. That same friend I mentioned scored 3 raw Bat 1's the classic way. Bought them from an old farmer who had a run of Bat 1-52. 3 #1s, 3#2's and 2#3's in the bottom of the bag. She offered me one of the #1's in 1983 for $3k. I did not have $3k being a 20 year old kid. All three were in the 6.5 range. That's as close as I will ever get. It's always out of reach no matter what. Metro (or someone) wants $800K for the 8.0 Larson copy. I don't have $800k either.

My wife is funny, though. She says "If you ever get one/find one, we can sell it and buy a bigger house." If I ever "get one/find one", I would NEVER sell it unless I needed food. That's the grail right there, buddy.

No don’t sell, just hold that treasure if you ever get a hold of one! And it’s all good, I own the first page to feature Zatara so that’s my pride and joy until I get a Supes page 😁

30732CEB-248D-437C-838D-80B4E23C065D.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

3 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No don’t sell, just hold that treasure if you ever get a hold of one! And it’s all good, I own the first page to feature Zatara so that’s my pride and joy until I get a Supes page 😁

30732CEB-248D-437C-838D-80B4E23C065D.jpeg

That's a nice page! What are they doing to produce these pages? Are they from incomplete books? How do they get them so they don't have a frayed edge toward the bindery side and if they are trimmed, why doesn't that show up as "trimmed"?

That's a nice page! What are they doing to produce these pages? Are they from incomplete books? How do they get them so they don't have a frayed edge toward the bindery side and if they are trimmed, why doesn't that show up as "trimmed"?

All good questions, which I have no answers to haha. My other one is truthfully just as nice. Save for a couple small chips.

F536D377-011C-4DA2-9195-900B7B2727C3.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1