• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HG SA Marvels!!! Are there really a lot more out there?

101 posts in this topic

because no one cares about Strange Tales?

Yeah, no one cares about Strange Tales....

These are pretty solid prices and when ComicLink buys one, you know Josh is assuming that the price still has room for moment.

HG Strange Tales

Yes, those Paradise auctions were pretty strong on a lot of books...

the bidder "raymondstgiles" won over $10K in books. Never saw that id before today, and his feedback is private, so hopefully he is legit.

Yes, those Paradise auctions were pretty strong on a lot of books...

the bidder "raymondstgiles" won over $10K in books. Never saw that id before today, and his feedback is private, so hopefully he is legit.

I actually got the graders notes on a few books I was interested in. Not that I would have paid the price for the TOS #57 CGc 9.4 that it ended at, but the pre-grader only gave it a 9.0.

blush.gif

The other two books got 9.4's across the boards but there sure were a lot of notes (i.e. small spine stress, stress on back cover, fingerprint on back cover, etc.).

These auctions still show that there is plenty of demand for HG pre-1965 books (and late 60's Silver Surfer books).

thought the 57 9.0:9.4:9.4 would be 9.2, right?

NOPE.

I actually believe that the FINALIZER gets to determine the final grade (sounds pretty obvious actually). I'm sure that person takes into the opinion of the other graders, but I don't believe the final grade is necessarily an average of all three peoples grade.

And the Finalizer is the only one that determines page quality.

NOPE.

I actually believe that the FINALIZER gets to determine the final grade (sounds pretty obvious actually). I'm sure that person takes into the opinion of the other graders, but I don't believe the final grade is necessarily an average of all three peoples grade.

This is correct. On a 8.5 Mannarino book for instance, the pre-grader might've graded it a 9.2, but the final grader called it a 8.5, due in large part to the page quality.

This is correct. On a 8.5 Mannarino book for instance, the pre-grader might've graded it a 9.2, but the final grader called it a 8.5, due in large part to the page quality.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To someone like me where page quality isn't as important; would there be a quick way to know that the book is actually 9.2 other then calling up CGC and asking for the grader notes?

NOPE.

Is the finalizer one of the three graders? Or are they in addition?

NOPE.

Is the finalizer one of the three graders? Or are they in addition?

One of the three. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To someone like me where page quality isn't as important; would there be a quick way to know that the book is actually 9.2 other then calling up CGC and asking for the grader notes?

A high quality scan. Which is why I called CGC on the Mannarino books during the Heritage auctions: I kept seeing near flawless copies with no obvious indication of why they were 8.0s or 8.5s and that picqued my interest.

I used to be down on Heritage, mostly because of their unpredictable customer service. But now, I think they are the best place to purchase graded comics from.

Sometimes it seems like I am living in some weird twisted parallel dimension from the other people who post here. Is there anyone who actually believes they can just run out and buy a CGC slabbed 9.8 run of a bronze title? And that they can buy them for less than $100.00 each? I agree, later 80's issues of popular titles are fairly easy to obtain, a 'la Byrne FF's. But even these are starting to hit the $60.00 to $75.00 range for issues which are not overly represented in the CGC census.

I am thinking of Captain Marvel, (for example) where pretty much ANY 9.8 (aside from the first few issues and the Starlin run) is the only one known to exist (if there actually is one) and will easily surpass the $100.00 mark. Starlin 9.8's are generally at $300-$600 (where copies exist). And any 9.8 prior to #18 is more likely to pull $1000 than it is to pull down $100. So where is the flood of 9.8's that should be chasing this money?

I think too many people base their opinions on sales of Flagship titles that they see day in and day out. Spidey, FF, X-Men, these were all printed in large numbers, widely distributed, and protected by speculators, collectors, and dealers for years. They really are plentyful in high grade compared to the lesser-loved series. Off-series are not under-represented in the census because people have stacks of high grade issues in their closets they don't want to slab, it is because they probably in all likelyhood never survived into this new century.

-Rival

okay Rival, heres the thing..

Those of us who talk about late 70s and 80s books as common in HG arent talking about slabbed copies. The presumption is that while only a few may already be for sale in slabs, there are countless more sitting raw out there. Perhaps "countless" is too many, so how about "plenty" or certainly many more than are accounted for so far.

So while I agree that putting together runs of these books is difficult and that they sell for 100 - 300 or more today, the general consensus is that is a temporary reality, and certain to change as time goes by and they all get graded.

I personally think these prices you quote are years ahead of the market, and feel no incentive to "lock in" on runs now. And then theres the whole 9.6 vs 9.8 issue... Many of us just dont care about the slim differences between them.. and feel that CGC isnt always consistent, so that they are not worth the premiums the market places on them today.

for all these reasons, you wont have to worry about me bidding against you, or losing sleep as you build a phenominal 9.8 collection of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The page quality (especially Cream to Off-White) should not pull the grade down. But if there is discoloration on the exterior or interior cover, that would pull the grade down. Especially tanning of the edges on the interior cover, which basically means the book has not been preserved very well.

That of course doesn't diminish the eye appeal of the book unless it's on the outside cover.

right, the reason why these books that guide for $5-$12 in NM in the guide are so tough to find in 9.8 is that people haven't submitted them because they may not even make their money back if they wind up being 9.6s. I'm personally sitting on a bunch of these tweeners and I have no faith in my ability to differentiate between 9.4 - 9.8 raw, so, one day, in theory, i'll take my 50 best and go the pre-screen route to see if I have any ability to pick 'em. the problem with that is that if I'm right....I may need to shell out $750+.

heck, i'm surprised when I DO see these books submitted and for sale.

right, the reason why these books that guide for $5-$12 in NM in the guide are so tough to find in 9.8 is that people haven't submitted them because they may not even make their money back if they wind up being 9.6s. I'm personally sitting on a bunch of these tweeners and I have no faith in my ability to differentiate between 9.4 - 9.8 raw, so, one day, in theory, i'll take my 50 best and go the pre-screen route to see if I have any ability to pick 'em. the problem with that is that if I'm right....I may need to shell out $750+.

heck, i'm surprised when I DO see these books submitted and for sale.

Well said.

I used to be down on Heritage, mostly because of their unpredictable customer service. But now, I think they are the best place to purchase graded comics from.

I don't know about the "best place" but their scans certainly give the buyer enough info to make an informed decision. i've stayed away from many 9.4 auctions due to their scans showing what i consider to be ugly warts. kudos to them.

Sometimes it seems like I am living in some weird twisted parallel dimension from the other people who post here. Is there anyone who actually believes they can just run out and buy a CGC slabbed 9.8 run of a bronze title? And that they can buy them for less than $100.00 each? I agree, later 80's issues of popular titles are fairly easy to obtain, a 'la Byrne FF's. But even these are starting to hit the $60.00 to $75.00 range for issues which are not overly represented in the CGC census.

I am thinking of Captain Marvel, (for example) where pretty much ANY 9.8 (aside from the first few issues and the Starlin run) is the only one known to exist (if there actually is one) and will easily surpass the $100.00 mark. Starlin 9.8's are generally at $300-$600 (where copies exist). And any 9.8 prior to #18 is more likely to pull $1000 than it is to pull down $100. So where is the flood of 9.8's that should be chasing this money?

I think too many people base their opinions on sales of Flagship titles that they see day in and day out. Spidey, FF, X-Men, these were all printed in large numbers, widely distributed, and protected by speculators, collectors, and dealers for years. They really are plentyful in high grade compared to the lesser-loved series. Off-series are not under-represented in the census because people have stacks of high grade issues in their closets they don't want to slab, it is because they probably in all likelyhood never survived into this new century.

-Rival

As a collector of BA and even CA books I want to believe what you say about high grade books not surviving into the new century but somehow I don't think that's the case. If they are out there great, but I hope a bunch of them never hit the census.

I don't know about the "best place" but their scans certainly give the buyer enough info to make an informed decision. i've stayed away from many 9.4 auctions due to their scans showing what i consider to be ugly warts. kudos to them.

I forgot to mention that I've been getting better deals through Heritage recently than anywhere else, including eBay. I've even been able to pick up one sweet certified SA book, while selling off an equally graded CGC copy to a dealer and netting myself 40% difference in the process. How's that for deal making?

But no one has to know that gossip.gif