• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

Nice pickup, Mike. That's a really nice looking 5.0, and great PQ too!

Unless something has changed, I believe that Overstreet still deems Action #29 to be the 1st Lois Lane cover. However, I think there was a thread a year or two ago making the argument that the girl on Action #27 looks like Lois Lane.

Do you know if either the Action #27 or the Action #29 cover is similar to a slash, or panel in an Action Comic from around that time-frame, similar to the cover to Detective #40 being similar to one of the splash pages in Batman #1? If so, perhaps that would provide more support to the argument for either Action #27 or Action #29 being the first appearance of Lois Lane on the cover (that or checking with Bob Overstreet to see why he deemed Action #29 to be the first Lois Lane cover).

I remember a great discussion about it at least 5 years ago. The advice to get it changed in OS was to provide scans to them of both the #27 and #29 cover and note the recommended change. I believe if this is done, OS will make the changes. It's pretty clear that is Lois on the cover of #27.

I remember a great discussion about it at least 5 years ago. The advice to get it changed in OS was to provide scans to them of both the #27 and #29 cover and note the recommended change. I believe if this is done, OS will make the changes. It's pretty clear that is Lois on the cover of #27.

The girl on Action #27 looks as much like Lois Lane to me as the girl on Action #29, so what you're saying makes sense to me, unless Bob has some other reason for deeming Action #29 to be the 1st Lois Lane (like my theory about a possible matching splash or panel or story line involving Lois Lane for the image on Action #29 but not for the image on Action #27, although I haven't actually heard that to be the case - I guess I should dig out my reprints sometime and check it out, and search for that old thread too, lol . ).

The girl on Action #27 looks as much like Lois Lane to me as the girl on Action #29, so what you're saying makes sense to me, unless Bob has some other reason for deeming Action #29 to be the 1st Lois Lane (like my theory about a possible matching splash or panel or story line involving Lois Lane for the image on Action #29 but not for the image on Action #27, although I haven't actually heard that to be the case - I guess I should dig out my reprints sometime and check it out, and search for that old thread too, lol . ).

I found the thread. It's wasn't easy. lol Arnold Bloomburg makes a comment about this possible misprint in this thread. He also comments on how to get it changed.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=669171&fpart=1

I found the thread. It's wasn't easy. lol Arnold Bloomburg makes a comment about this possible misprint in this thread. He also comments on how to get it changed.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=669171&fpart=1

Nice thread find, Mike. It looks like burntboy's thoughts in there paralleled some of mine, including... "i voted lois based on looks alone. does anyone have these issues or are there archives of these. perhaps the covers do correlate to the interior stories - that would answer the question............"

From what I recall, the covers didn't always line up with the stories inside, so I'll see if I can dig up my archives and see if either cover matches any of the interior stories from around issues in the 20's to early 30's...

Nice thread find, Mike. It looks like burntboy's thoughts in there paralleled some of mine, including... "i voted lois based on looks alone. does anyone have these issues or are there archives of these. perhaps the covers do correlate to the interior stories - that would answer the question............"

From what I recall, the covers didn't always line up with the stories inside, so I'll see if I can dig up my archives and see if either cover matches any of the interior stories from around issues in the 20's to early 30's...

I thought it was funny that a zerox was required, instead of a scan. Also, why couldn't Arnold take care of this after reading and posting in the thread? doh!

I thought it was funny that a zerox was required, instead of a scan. Also, why couldn't Arnold take care of this after reading and posting in the thread? doh!

lol

I flipped through Action Comics Archives Volumes 1 and 2 (reprinting issues 1 through 36), and didn't find conclusive evidence that the girl on either Action #27 or Action #29 is Lois Lane, so unless Overstreet knows something we don't, based on looks alone, I would agree that there is pretty much as much support for Lois Lane being on the cover of Action #27 as there is for her being on the cover of Action #29.

Support for Lois being on the cover of Action #27 (aside from looking like Lois, which isn't exactly foolproof, since she didn't always wear a yellow dress prior to issue #27, although she usually did):

i. Action #28 involves a circus type story, and it is in close proximity to issue #27

Non-conclusive because:

i. No lion is involved in the story in Action #28

ii. While at the circus, Lois is wearing a green jacket and a black hat, neither of which appear on the girl on the cover of Action #27

Support for Lois being on the cover of Action #27 (aside from looking like Lois, which isn't exactly foolproof, since she didn't always wear a yellow dress prior to issue #29, although she usually did):

i. Action #26 has a panel showing Supes leaping while carrying Lois who is wearing a yellow dress, and is in relatively close proximity to issue #29

Non-conclusive because:

i. Lois is not bound and gagged or jumping over a car in the image in issue #26

ii. Might be stretch to associate a panel from 3 issues back to the inspiration to the cover of issue #29 (although you never know since the buzz saw image on a panel from Action #13 appears to be eerily similar to the cover to Action #85, as is the Action #7 cover to a panel from Action #1...)

Action #7

Picked this up a few months ago (after it had sold on Heritage) but just now got around

to taking some of my own pictures.

A book I really thought I’d never have a chance to own, and really a surreal moment for me as a collector. A book I will be putting into the chest for the long haul.

The defect on this one is obvious. But the rest of the book is so nice in quality and color that it almost makes up for it. And again to just be able to own it, you’ll here no complaints from me.

Hindsight really is 20/20, I believe I was the first to post this book when it went up for auction on Heritage, and was defiantly not in favor of the piece missing. Passed on the book on heritage, regretted it ever since. As luck would have it when I started searching around for an early Action Superman cover, one of our boardies (none other than Rick aka Gator), had a line on this copy from its then anonymous owner who would sell if we figured out a price point. The rest is history. And I’m a happy man for sure.

Humongous thanks to Gator for making this happen, if not for you it would not have!

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg