• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

Thanks, guys. Anybody have an opinion on how tough Supes in the #50-#75 range are in general? I haven't been much of a GA DC collector, but I've heard that some of the late Golden Age stuff can be tougher than some of the earlier books. Seems like you see the 53 and the 76 fairly frequently on ebay, but I haven't paid much attention to the rest of the run in that range until now.

great pickup!

50-75 are tougher than earlier issues, but not 'tough', depending on what grade you are after. Typically non-key issues go a decent % less than guide in midgrade. #50 and 66 are particularly elusive from experience.

You are right in that there seem to be a million copies of #53 around...

Edited by mattbird

You are right in that there seem to be a million copies of #53 around

ya know just at Chicago con a few weeks ago, there was a dealer who had 3 Superman #53's, and was still trying to tell me that it was a rare issue, yeah rare compared to what ? a Superman #75 black bag death issue ? and he was telling me that 2 of his 3 copies that he had would likely be sold in the next week. ..

well, yeah, their still listed on C-link.

I want to get a #53 someday, but It's not what I would call rare. can't stand when a dealer or seller says, "rare", "gonna be going up in the guide next year", "these will all be gone by next week". sheesh..

893applaud-thumb.gif Very nice. I like how prominent the Superman figure is on this cover. It's nicely straddling the logo and the background image giving extra dimension to the overall scene. The white highlight behind Supes is making him pop out as well. Good use of coloring as well. It's simple and very effective. A cool addition. thumbsup2.gif

I thought this was the most appropriate thread for this. I'm slowly working my way through the Superman war covers and this one just arrived 2 days ago. The story in this is incredible. I'll try to leave a brief synopsis when I have time.

1375267-Superman23a.JPG

1375267-Superman23a.JPG.26eff4210d28accbea905608f43e7a66.JPG

Edited by buttock

one of the best war covers ever buttock,

I'm slowly working my way through the Superman war covers

so, what issues do you have left to get ?? popcorn.gif

I haven't even considered the actions yet. But I'm trying to go in priority. So far all I have is a Supes 14, 17, and the 23. I'll probably go for an 18 or 20 next. You have any doubles you want to get rid of? My birthday is coming up soon... poke2.gif

And I agree about this being one of the best. The look on Superman's face is unique, as is the interior story.

heck, I wish I had doubles of these books, your off to a great start with the 14, 17 and 23, I'd love to get a 13 or 18 next. once again great book and I look forward to seeing your next GA Superman purchase thumbsup2.gif

Nice pickup buttock! For some reason a Supes 23 was not on my want list at first, but it has definitely grown on me. It is a very unique cover unlike any other Superman cover from that era. And a war cover too. I want one. sumo.gif

I like Supes #23 for the same reason I like Action #63...it's rare to see Supes REALLY mad.

That coupled with one of DC's more "editorial" depictions of the Nazis is what really attracted me to this one. DC had it's fair share of war covers, but they were a far cry from the stuff that Schomburg, etc. did for other companies.