• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC GIANT, 80pg Giant: 750FB 800M2?

18 posts in this topic

I'm trying to protect a few comics for storage and i'm not sure how to best handle these 80pg Giants.

I have 750FBs and 775M2s, but when i put one of these giants in there its way to snug for me.

I only have a couple, wondering if i can get away with using my current 750FBs and picking up some 800M2s?

anyone have any tips for the Giants.

Thanks, 

Scan_20200319.jpg

I have extra 750FBs, trying to see if i can avoid buying more then i need. 

To me the 750FB seems to be appropriately sized, its just the thickness of the comic that's making it a very tight fit once in the 775M2.

Just seeing if i can get away with only buying a small pack of 800M2? or 825M2?

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is there a way to sharpen those?

Yes, of course - but I don't know how.

What do you plan to do with it?

Just now, lizards2 said:

I meant if you needed to trim boards lol

Eventually dulling would happen, but also, I dont know ho cheap they are to where IF they dull, is it cheaper to buy a new one?

I personally dont need it to trim boards, but it does seem practical for other things to get a straight cut (thumbsu

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I meant if you needed to trim boards lol

Eventually dulling would happen, but also, I dont know ho cheap they are to where IF they dull, is it cheaper to buy a new one?

I personally dont need it to trim boards, but it does seem practical for other things to get a straight cut (thumbsu

I have never used it for shady dealings, but use it every day to customize backing boards, packing boards, etc.  It has never let me down, and it is about 10 years old.  I think it cost under $50

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I have never used it for shady dealings, but use it every day to customize backing boards, packing boards, etc.  It has never let me down, and it is about 10 years old.  I think it cost under $50

Ah ok no worries, I saw the post, and I know someone who has an old one in the garage. It's been sitting up, and I didn't know the life the blades have.... is all

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

That's a "tool" I remember first using back in grade school in the 60's.  Funny how they used to teach and trust us to use stuff like that at an early age back then :popcorn:

10 hours ago, apeg said:

I'm trying to protect a few comics for storage and i'm not sure how to best handle these 80pg Giants.

I have 750FBs and 775M2s, but when i put one of these giants in there its way to snug for me.

I only have a couple, wondering if i can get away with using my current 750FBs and picking up some 800M2s?

anyone have any tips for the Giants.

Thanks, 

Scan_20200319.jpg

As for your book, what ever bag or mylar lets it lie flat and rested like it would out on a table, is what you should use.  Too tight of a protection can give the book a warp (after a long time) 

42 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I always trim my boards 1/8 to 1/4 with the square bound giants.  

I took to doing that with all but the earliest Dell Giants. If you use the thick gold or super gold (poly) bags, there's too much wasted space. Take a gold board trim an 1/8" or so and you get a clean fit with a golden age bag, AND they still fit in a standard comic box (as long as you've previously massaged, smooshed, or generally re-worked the box after assembling).  :nyah:

1 hour ago, kav said:

I use GA bags for everything.

Well, in the case of the early SA DC 10-centers, poly bags fit really snug, so I can see why. I've done this, but I find that if a few books are bagged and boarded with GA sizing in a box with mostly SA-sized bagged and boarded books, they wind up getting pinched at the bottom and bowed. I know a few collectors that put everything in magazine boxes, but that would waste so much more space that I could never afford to do it with run boxes. I just wish they made a box that held GA without fitting to books so snugly (even after my aforementioned re-working of the box).  

Thanks for the help. im going to give the 800's a try and if i don't like what i see i'll grab gold FB's as well. 

Trimming is taking it to another level for me, odd they don't sell boards to the trimmed specifications.

52 minutes ago, apeg said:

Thanks for the help. im going to give the 800's a try and if i don't like what i see i'll grab gold FB's as well. 

Trimming is taking it to another level for me, odd they don't sell boards to the trimmed specifications.

I believe it is because there are so many variances in sizes and thicknesses of books that it is not economical.  One of the best investments I've ever made is getting a paper cutter for my wife's birthday (she teaches elementary school). lol

I deal with a lot of incoming books, and sell quite a bit too. On the incoming books, using a paper cutter is quick, efficient method to fit my standard supplies to a variety of books. If I have a package of FullBacks with a substantial dint on the corner of some of the boards, then I put those aside, and trim the dints off for use with larger books, like the squarebounds, annuals, books with spine roll, etc.

For the outgoing sale books, since I mostly deal in Bronze and Silver, I trim all those used boards down to basically Silver Age size, and recycle them with sale books.  I don't know why, but I get a crapton of Bronze and Silver books in the mail encased in those giant Golden Age bags and boards - probably the standardized system of the those other collectors. 

Last year I went through some of my stockpiles of used boards, and trimmed about 300 of them down to a standard Silver Age size.  I'm to the point where I need to do that again.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:57 PM, apeg said:

I have extra 750FBs, trying to see if i can avoid buying more then i need. 

To me the 750FB seems to be appropriately sized, its just the thickness of the comic that's making it a very tight fit once in the 775M2.

Just seeing if i can get away with only buying a small pack of 800M2? or 825M2?

The thickness of the comic is one perspective. The thickness of the board is another. Why not try a HB?