• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking hammer results during the COVID-19 pandemic
5 5

217 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Ya, not looking terribly abnormal so far.

I just updated through the first night's listings. I was tired, went to bed early, and now I'm wide awake. :(  At least the bidding has stopped so I don't make any bids fueled by insomnia and pandemic isolation.

I will try to remember to watch the auction tonight. Caught final hour last night. I never buy from them anyways. They dont give away any perks like ebay does. I can't use paypal. No cover of back book. Book would have to be at least 30 percent below market just to deal with their stupid sticker on the slab. Good work keeping track though. Interesting to see if market drops. It never has before imo but this can get pretty bad and there is a lot of new breed of people around.  

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

On Ebay 

I mean yeah it's under FMV but still...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153882047568

Bids look colossally messed up too

Certainly several shills there.  Or punishment bids. They look the same.

7 hours ago, lizards2 said:
11 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

On Ebay 

I mean yeah it's under FMV but still...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153882047568

Bids look colossally messed up too

Certainly several shills there.  Or punishment bids. They look the same.

That's why I would never ever waste my time with bothering to bid on an eBay auction or any other site that has a similar type of platform.  :p

The whole thing seems to be based upon you throwing in wild snipe bids at the end like this one here something like 13 bids within the final minute od the auction.  :censored:

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's why I would never ever waste my time with bothering to bid on an eBay auction or any other site that has a similar type of platform.  :p

The whole thing seems to be based upon you throwing in wild snipe bids at the end like this one here something like 13 bids within the final minute od the auction.  :censored:

I agree...and sadly it is the only way to win an auction on Ebay.

39 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's BS in 99% or more of auctions.  I win stuff all the time with anchor or tracking bids.  You just have to decide how much your willing to pay, and stick to it. I win stuff all the time that is below GPA/OSPG.

There was an book last night on Clink that went for 1/2 GPA, and I had the winning bidder at his maximum.  I could have won it with one more bid increment of $10, but chose not to, as in my judgment the GPA was inflated - obviously.

14 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That's BS in 99% or more of auctions.  I win stuff all the time with anchor or tracking bids.  You just have to decide how much your willing to pay, and stick to it. I win stuff all the time that is below GPA/OSPG.

There was an book last night on Clink that went for 1/2 GPA, and I had the winning bidder at his maximum.  I could have won it with one more bid increment of $10, but chose not to, as in my judgment the GPA was inflated - obviously.

I respect your judgement 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I don't agree with this. I've won multiple books on both Ebay and Clink with basically tracking bids.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

That's BS in 99% or more of auctions.  I win stuff all the time with anchor or tracking bids. 

38 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I don't agree with this. I've won multiple books on both Ebay and Clink with basically tracking bids.

Probably true as it really depends on the types of books you are bidding on.  (thumbsu

The worst part about eBay and auctioning of comic books is the fact that the overwhelming majority of their offerings are on the BIN format asking sky high prices, instead of the traditional auction format.  Even then, they don't tend to have many truly quality vintage collectible books as those generally get sent to the major auction houses where the right set of eyes are looking at them.  hm

On 4/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

ComicLink April Focused lots start closing tonight. I'll be following the fun at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=1174426755

Join the watch party on Discord at https://discord.gg/QvVYe4z. (Discord is a chat service. This Discord server is not affiliated with the CGC boards. It's just me making a place for comic collectors who want to chat. If you feel like the forums have pushed you to the limit of your tech capacity, just ignore this part. If you like Discord, you know the desktop app is more friendly to use than the web client).

Fun is underway. One high grade DD #1 under FMV, one mid-grade well over.

See links above.

4 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Fun is underway. One high grade DD #1 under FMV, one mid-grade well over.

See links above.

Spiderman 100 is last updated one I see on your list. Seen daredevil 1 as of last night was 2 grand below. I forgot auction again. Came in at ff 12 or something. Wasn't going to bid on it. Wouldn't keep it, would be instant flip. Spend 7 grand to hopefully make 2? Not horrible but with economic uncertainty I dunno. Assumed it would go for more as well but you never know. Be a good book to hold onto but at moment would rather have $ than book being a negative 7 grand in my budget for 3 years or however long. Maybe that can have effect on market. Good deal on book but in 2 months it might be another grand cheaper. People thinking that way could lower prices. Haven't seen it yet. I am sure the dd1 went for 8500 to 10 but dunno. Maybe you got it for 7500. If so congrats. 

18 hours ago, romanheart said:

I'm not looking to closely at sales but there isn't much change in the prices that I see. So either there is manipulation, or the cash crunch hasn't hit yet.

Imo cash crunch doesn't affect collectibles in the manner it affects stocks and "other" stuff.

We live on a different playing field of supply and demand, we live in the realm of "want" over "need"...

People need gas, less need less demand more supply....value of product drops

That doesn't apply to collectibles until someone relies heavily upon their collectibles for survival...then you will see a crunch...

19 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Imo cash crunch doesn't affect collectibles in the manner it affects stocks and "other" stuff.

We live on a different playing field of supply and demand, we live in the realm of "want" over "need"...

People need gas, less need less demand more supply....value of product drops

That doesn't apply to collectibles until someone relies heavily upon their collectibles for survival...then you will see a crunch...

You don't think having less cash impacts people's ability to buy things they want? If anything, "wants" are impacted well before "needs"...

Edited by Callaway29

51 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

You don't think having less cash impacts people's ability to buy things they want? If anything, "wants" are impacted well before "needs"...

Of course it impacts it

But does the seller devalue a product just because the buyer doesn't have enough money?

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Of course it impacts it

But does the seller devalue a product just because the buyer doesn't have enough money?

Maybe, maybe not. All comes down to how motivated the seller is... Personally, I'm in the market to sell some books at the moment, and they aren't moving... I'm not going to give them away because I don't need to... But, I'm sure some people are being forced to...or perhaps are spooked by the uncertainty of the market and are willing to let books go in fear of them being worth even less months from now.

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Maybe, maybe not. All comes down to how motivated the seller is... Personally, I'm in the market to sell some books at the moment, and they aren't moving... I'm not going to give them away because I don't need to... But, I'm sure some people are being forced to...or perhaps are spooked by the uncertainty of the market and are willing to let books go in fear of them being worth even less months from now.

I totally agree

This is updated through last night's results. I doubt that I will add any more for this auction. This one seemed pretty normal so far. I'm still curious over time how things do as unemployment could remove many buyers from the market.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=1174426755

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

This is updated through last night's results. I doubt that I will add any more for this auction. This one seemed pretty normal so far. I'm still curious over time how things do as unemployment could remove many buyers from the market.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jkkDxV_f3dn0-2hUcW5zY2UX59Tmxih2sB2O6DKl_A/edit#gid=1174426755

Only one of interest is the werewolf 32. Is the fmv correct on it? Did it have a miswrap or off white pages. Over graded. Pretty good percentage off. 

If market gets effected it won't be until people stop getting their full unemployment. 30 million people can lose jobs but if they are getting their full pay plus government bonus checks they are buying more than ever.