• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie--The First Year: Cover Gallery
2 2

103 posts in this topic

Pep Comics #36

February 1943

And last, but certainly not least, my vote for all time classic Archie cover (and the beginning of the end for the MLJ superheroes...)

905425-pep36.jpg

905425-pep36.jpg.a9811cc34ba03f6d15a5747f04082b25.jpg

Edited by 143ksk

Excellent thread - I don't know if it's a bonus for Archie collectors that those Peps & Jackpots have such great covers, or a curse for fans of classic WW2 covers that early Archie appearances raise prices and create competition. wink.gif

Of course there is no doubt where 143ksk sides.

Wow 143ksk,

Great seeing these all in a row! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Who is the Blonde on the cover that the Shield and the Hangman are always saving?

I think she's mostly the generic damsel in distress, but at least on the cover to Jackpot 7 she's Jane Dickson of the Secret Service.

Pep Comics #36

February 1943

And last, but certainly not least, my vote for all time classic Archie cover (and the beginning of the end for the MLJ superheroes...)

905425-pep36.jpg

To me that cover says it all! That's why I love golden age so much!

First appearance of Archie's Jalopy--which amazingly enough changed very little over the next 30 years.

hail.gif Great covers!

Now who changed more in appearance after just a few years, Archie, the Peanuts gang, or Mike Doonesbury?

Marc

Well, Archie changed dramatically in the first couple of issues of Pep--going from a 12 year old (or so) to a mid teenager. After that he was pretty consistent for several years. So, I would have to go with Peanuts as my answer 27_laughing.gif