• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie--The First Year: Cover Gallery
2 2

103 posts in this topic

Now who changed more in appearance after just a few years, Archie, the Peanuts gang, or Mike Doonesbury?

Marc

Well, Archie changed dramatically in the first couple of issues of Pep--going from a 12 year old (or so) to a mid teenager. After that he was pretty consistent for several years. So, I would have to go with Peanuts as my answer 27_laughing.gif

When did the buck-teeth stop?

OT: Did you ever see the Yale Doonesbury cartoons? Unbelievable difference in the art. Did Trudeau just get good fast or is there some mystery ghost?

Marc

First appearance of Archie's Jalopy--which amazingly enough changed very little over the next 30 years.

hail.gif Great covers!

Now who changed more in appearance after just a few years, Archie, the Peanuts gang, or Mike Doonesbury?

Marc

Well, Archie changed dramatically in the first couple of issues of Pep--going from a 12 year old (or so) to a mid teenager. After that he was pretty consistent for several years. So, I would have to go with Peanuts as my answer 27_laughing.gif

When exactly did this change in age take place in terms of issue number.

Which age category did Archie belong to in his first Jackpot Comics appearance in issue #4?

You know, I'm still not sure who did that cover for Jackpot 6. It's been attributed to Novick at one time and to Montana at another time. What do you think?

I have a harder time believing that it's by Montana than by Novick, but I don't think it's obviously either confused-smiley-013.gif

When did the buck-teeth stop?

OT: Did you ever see the Yale Doonesbury cartoons? Unbelievable difference in the art. Did Trudeau just get good fast or is there some mystery ghost?

Marc

The buck teeth went well into the '50s, but I'm not sure when they ended. Archie was getting more and more attractive during that time frame and the buck teeth became more stylized. This gives me a new idea for a thread: "The Beautification of Archie 1941-1961." 27_laughing.gif

My guess on the Trudeau issue is that the Yale paper was willing to print the poorly drawn version of Doonesbury, but Trudeau knew he had no chance of selling it to a syndicate if it didn't look a whole lot smoother. So, I would assume he practiced and spent more time on each strip and the effort showed.

Which age category did Archie belong to in his first Jackpot Comics appearance in issue #4?

Actually, Pep 22 was the only issue where Archie and Betty appeared to be in the pre to early teen stage. Even by Pep 23, they were considerably older. Jackpot 4 would also fall into the older catagory. If you sign up to Shield's site www.goldcomics.com, you can view all the early Archie appearances (not to mention all the other MLJ characters).

The buck teeth went well into the '50s, but I'm not sure when they ended. Archie was getting more and more attractive during that time frame and the buck teeth became more stylized. This gives me a new idea for a thread: "The Beautification of Archie 1941-1961." 27_laughing.gif

Rather than start that new thread, I'll just lazily post in this one. tongue.gif Archie kept the gap in his front teeth after becoming cute; and since I literally had nothing better to do, I found that in Archie #92 (May/June 1958), he has no gap, but in Archie's Christmas Stocking #5 (1958, no month), he has the gap on the cover headshot, and in some but not all of the interior panels.

Conclusion: er, sometime in 1958. yay.gif

You know, I'm still not sure who did that cover for Jackpot 6. It's been attributed to Novick at one time and to Montana at another time. What do you think?

I have a harder time believing that it's by Montana than by Novick, but I don't think it's obviously either confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree, it almost looks like two artist did the cover, one did the background and another for the main action. Steel Sterling looks like Novick's work, but could also be King.

Actually, Pep 22 was the only issue where Archie and Betty appeared to be in the pre to early teen stage. Even by Pep 23, they were considerably older. Jackpot 4 would also fall into the older catagory. If you sign up to Shield's site www.goldcomics.com, you can view all the early Archie appearances (not to mention all the other MLJ characters).

OK, here are some representative pictures from the very early Pep issues:

Archie in Pep 22:

915457-p22archie.jpg

Betty in Pep 22:

915458-p22betty.jpg

Both are clearly not the 16/17 year olds we expect of the Archie group.

Here's Betty in Pep 25 (I would have shown a pic from Pep 23, but I'm not brave enough to scan it 27_laughing.gif). Clearly, Betty is significantly older than she was 3 months ago!

915461-p25.jpg

And, finally, the first appearance of Veronica one month later:

915462-p26.jpg

Note Archie's tongue blush.gif

Rather than start that new thread, I'll just lazily post in this one. tongue.gif Archie kept the gap in his front teeth after becoming cute; and since I literally had nothing better to do, I found that in Archie #92 (May/June 1958), he has no gap, but in Archie's Christmas Stocking #5 (1958, no month), he has the gap on the cover headshot, and in some but not all of the interior panels.

Conclusion: er, sometime in 1958. yay.gif

Looking at the title Archie Comics, the tooth gap is coming to an end in the 1955/56 period. The last issue that has the gap on the cover is Archie #75 July 1955):

915447-a75.jpg

The first issue that clearly does not have the gap is Archie #78 (Jan 1956):

915451-a78.jpg

Archie #81 (July 1956) shows the classic Archie title (with the Archie head) that would become standard for Archie books into the early '70s:

915455-a81.jpg

I would assume that the change to the non-gapped tooth Archie on the "mast head" of the flagship title showed a definite editorial decision to eliminate the earlier version. As kakapo points out, however, there were scattered appearances of the "old" Archie for at least a few years. I don't know if that was stockpiled art or if some artists were just slow to adopt the new look confused-smiley-013.gif

Pep Comics #36

February 1943

And last, but certainly not least, my vote for all time classic Archie cover (and the beginning of the end for the MLJ superheroes...)

905425-pep36.jpg

To me that cover says it all! That's why I love golden age so much!

Yeah, I liked it so much I comissioned a recreation. It's by Dan Parent (a current Archie artist) and is twice up size. Sorry about the flash, I haven't really figured out how to take good pictures of original art frown.gif

934774-pep36.jpg

934774-pep36.jpg.c9633878f7dd96ba63b5bf374b0a5a7e.jpg

Edited by 143ksk

The only MLJ titles that I've seriously collected have been Pep, Jackpot, Hangman and Shield-Wizard. Never been a big Top-Notch, Blue Ribbon or Zip fan. At this point though, It's pretty much just the Archie titles for me.

OK, thanks to Timely I now have the books to post Archie's second year in covers. Once again, I plan to cheat a little and post all of the Pep run that has superheroes on the cover. That will get us to Pep 50. After that issue, even though they continued through Pep 65, there are no more superhero appearances on the covers.

Pep Comics 37 March 1943. Cover by Harry Sahle.

1267452-cgc12008.jpg

1267452-cgc12008.jpg.aa62491c2a3119da01cc557f5d7a91f0.jpg

Edited by 143ksk

Pep Comics 38 April 1943. Archie is becoming more popular as shown by the banner across the masthead. The cover is one of the better of the late Pep war covers and is at least partially by Alex Schomburg.

1267458-cgc12009.jpg

1267458-cgc12009.jpg.a0c3062093e419ee98a1f91cc4b751eb.jpg

Edited by 143ksk