• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Alex Toth Model Sheets from 1973

6 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting these and congratulations. I have seen many of the cel style versions over the years, but rarely see paper originals. Toth was such an incredible master of line thickness and with relative simplicity conveyed an image that was beautifully stylized and more complex than it would seem. I grew up on his cartoon designs and discovered his comic work years later. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2020 at 8:28 PM, Nick Berntson said:

Original model sheets of Aquaman by the legendary Alex Toth for the initial run of Super Friends.

These pre-production model sheets were mocked up in March 1973 for Hanna-Barbera Productions (6 months prior to the original air date).

20200205_054103-1.thumb.jpg.f20cff1c1fbd153a297c6cbca0cb2e16.jpg

Toth started his art career in comic books, working in the industry from the '40s-'80s, (being inducted into the Jack Kirby Hall of Fame in 1990).

However; Alex is possibly best known for the animation work he did with Hanna-Barbera.

Aside from his contributions to Super Friends from '73-'74 he also embarked on many other projects for the Studio. 

Most famously credited as the creator Space Ghost, Sealab 2020, Birdman & the Galaxy Trio, and the Herculoids.

20200205_054134-1.thumb.jpg.12b876d3785516684ec1fee97be6e048.jpg

Though he also worked on many other show the company, most notably Johnny Quest and Scooby-Doo.

Inherited from the estate of a close family friend (an Emmy award winning animator who also worked for H-B).

Unfortunately both pages have small tears on the upper right corners. I'm thinking they from the removal of the glue (which I hope isn't too acidic) from a storyboard.20200205_074139-1.thumb.jpg.eef683281bef0b015c73a4b3a8d64f15.jpg

Anyway thanks for looking. 💪👽👌

Congrats! I'm very envious- I just acquired a stack of Toth model sheet Xerox copies used by artists (in this case, Mike Royer) for the tv shows. Fantastic art!!

Included were originals by Sparky Moore.

Edited by MR SigS