• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan lee Signature series premium CGC
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Is there a way of estimating how much a Stan Lee signature increases the price on a key book (CGC slab).

For example would a Hulk 181 increase by 50% in price ? How do you guys price SS slabs ?

I ask this question because I'm not sure how to price a FF 48 (5.0) and FF 49 (7.0) bought signed by stan lee.

Not much sales history either to base my prices. 2018 and 2019 sales don't mean much.

In today's market (with the Covid-19 crisis), I'm getting lowball offers so far.

I know it's not a good time to sell grails, but I need the money, but I'm not willing to go way bellow FMV.

Thanks

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's no default %. I'm a SS collector. I've probably paid on average 10% more per book, but, I don't have SA keys. They're mostly Bronze/Modern.

I tried to compare on ebay but most sellers overprice Stan Lee's SS in hopes of having some sucker bit.

1 minute ago, migmtl76 said:

I tried to compare on ebay but most sellers overprice Stan Lee's SS in hopes of having some sucker bit.

Yeah. I also don't have any Stan Lee sigs. Let's pretend that you're beginning at a price that is spot-on FMV per whatever data source. I would probably pay an additional... $200-300 for a good Stan Lee signature on a SA key. I have no idea if that follows any SS trends. That would simply be my personal price range.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah. I also don't have any Stan Lee sigs. Let's pretend that you're beginning at a price that is spot-on FMV per whatever data source. I would probably pay an additional... $200-300 for a good Stan Lee signature on a SA key. I have no idea if that follows any SS trends. That would simply be my personal price range.

On key silver age comics, it's often +50% of normal FMV value.

Just now, migmtl76 said:

Well, :censored:. lol

On Moderns, I normally add $100/sig. So, Infinity Gauntlet #1 CGC 9.8? All 4 contributors' signed? $500.

50% is ridiculous IMO and it looks like I'll never own a key with Stan's sig if that is a continuing market trend. 2c

If you can get a 50% hike, though, more power to ya.

8 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Zero chance this is true.

In high grade, many collectors shy away from SS books.

In my experience, lower grade books do better with SS as opposed to higher grade, especially with keys - I’m talking about SA.

40 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Is there a way of estimating how much a Stan Lee signature increases the price on a key book (CGC slab).

For example would a Hulk 181 increase by 50% in price ? How do you guys price SS slabs ?

I ask this question because I'm not sure how to price a FF 48 (5.0) and FF 49 (7.0) bought signed by stan lee.

Not much sales history either to base my prices. 2018 and 2019 sales don't mean much.

In today's market (with the Covid-19 crisis), I'm getting lowball offers so far.

I know it's not a good time to sell grails, but I need the money, but I'm not willing to go way bellow FMV.

Thanks

Here is one data point from GPA - the 5.0 FF48. Regular blue label GPA is $216

SS 5.0 Sgnt series (Stan Lee File Copy)
--
--
--
--
$500Dec 2010

SS 5.0 Signed by Joe Sinnott
--

--
$600Oct 2019

SS 5.0 Signed by Stan Lee

--
$800Oct 2019

I am providing this as a PSA - Pay for GPA. It's worth it!

21 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Zero chance this is true.

In high grade, many collectors shy away from SS books.

In my experience, lower grade books do better with SS as opposed to higher grade, especially with keys - I’m talking about SA.

I have seen some but they don't sell fast :) But yes mid grade keys are 50% more but don't sell (especially now)

You should be able to look at other grade comps in nearby grades to see what sort of premium the Lee signature puts on the book. 

The main thing is to look at recent data only as the market spiked when he passed, but has settled since. 

lemme take a look at GPA and see what I can estimate...

Too many variables to generalize 

FF48 in 5.0. Universal at $1200, Stan SS trending upward. Last 16 months has gone from $1350>$1800>$2500

meanwhile a 5.5 universal which is almost the same price, but a 5.5 Stan sig sold for $1290 (10/2019)

and a 6.0 ($1500 GPA avg) has had Stan sales for just under $3k (so 2x)

in the other direction a 4.5 universal ($1k) has Stan sales around $1800-$2k so almost 2x

So it looks like a near 2x multiple is in effect for a stan signed FF48. I'd price it at $2400-$2500, but take an offer north of $2k.

[note these are all ballparky swag numbers, if you want the exact data, GPA is worth the cost, especially for determining the value of a $2000 book. ]

Edited by miraclemet

now FF49 in 7.0

Also hasnt had a stan sign sale in 6 months (which was for over $2k and may have been a BIN)

Universal value right now is around $900ish

That puts the Stan multiplier at over 2x, which seems steep considering FF49 is LESS key than FF48, but that's all based on one data point/sale. So lets look at surrounding numbers. 

CGC6.5, a $700ish book, that sold for $1100ish with stans sig

CGC6.0 a $600 book, that sold for $1000ish with stans sig. 

no good sig data at CGC7.5

CGC8.0 is a $1600ish book that had a Stan/Sinnott sale at $2600 (single data point) also looks like a BIN maybe. 

I'd say for the FF49 the stan signed version is probably a 60% price bump  if in auction. which would be $1440. 

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

now FF49 in 7.0

Also hasnt had a stan sign sale in 6 months (which was for over $2k and may have been a BIN)

Universal value right now is around $900ish

That puts the Stan multiplier at over 2x, which seems steep considering FF49 is LESS key than FF48, but that's all based on one data point/sale. So lets look at surrounding numbers. 

CGC6.5, a $700ish book, that sold for $1100ish with stans sig

CGC6.0 a $600 book, that sold for $1000ish with stans sig. 

no good sig data at CGC7.5

CGC8.0 is a $1600ish book that had a Stan/Sinnott sale at $2600 (single data point) also looks like a BIN maybe. 

I'd say for the FF49 the stan signed version is probably a 60% price bump  if in auction. which would be $1440. 

Thanks, this has been a great help for my pricing of FF49. I was offered 1350, I price at 1999, might counter with 1550 (this comes to about 1350 after ebay + paypal fees )

12 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

FF48 in 5.0. Universal at $1200, Stan SS trending upward. Last 16 months has gone from $1350>$1800>$2500

meanwhile a 5.5 universal which is almost the same price, but a 5.5 Stan sig sold for $1290 (10/2019)

and a 6.0 ($1500 GPA avg) has had Stan sales for just under $3k (so 2x)

in the other direction a 4.5 universal ($1k) has Stan sales around $1800-$2k so almost 2x

So it looks like a near 2x multiple is in effect for a stan signed FF48. I'd price it at $2400-$2500, but take an offer north of $2k.

[note these are all ballparky swag numbers, if you want the exact data, GPA is worth the cost, especially for determining the value of a $2000 book. ]

I price the FF48 (5.0) SS at 2499 and got zero offers. I sent an offer to watchers at 2299. No response. So probably the sweet spot is asking around $2099 and getting $1999.

25 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

You should be able to look at other grade comps in nearby grades to see what sort of premium the Lee signature puts on the book. 

The main thing is to look at recent data only as the market spiked when he passed, but has settled since. 

I have FF50 (6.0 CGC) Signed by stan lee also. Priced at 899 maybe too much I will do some research.

28 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I have them at buy it now and make an offer. I haven't tried an auction because I'm afraid it might sell for too low. What would be a good auction strategy you think ?