• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gallery told to drop 'gay' Batman

93 posts in this topic

I'm so glad they did. It seems today they want everyone to be gay. Next you'll see art showing Kerry and Bush slipping the big one. This whole thing is getting ridiculous and quite weird. What is wrong with being straight?

Its because most of Hollywood is a bunch of limp wristers and they push their agenda via tv shows etc. Every second show on tv today has to have some kind of fruit element to it. Give me a frickin break.

Surfer, nice reactionary imbalanced comment there. What agenda?? What the hell are you talking about?? "Fruit element"??? What a load of homophobic, paranoid toss.

893applaud-thumb.gif

See, i kinda agree with SS on this one. It seems like a lot of shows have homosexual roles and or are built around homosexuals. I know that this sounds hollow, but, nothing against homosexuals, but i dont want or need to see them running around on the tube that often.

I'm so glad they did. It seems today they want everyone to be gay. Next you'll see art showing Kerry and Bush slipping the big one. This whole thing is getting ridiculous and quite weird. What is wrong with being straight?

Its because most of Hollywood is a bunch of limp wristers and they push their agenda via tv shows etc. Every second show on tv today has to have some kind of fruit element to it. Give me a frickin break.

Surfer, nice reactionary imbalanced comment there. What agenda?? What the hell are you talking about?? "Fruit element"??? What a load of homophobic, paranoid toss.

893applaud-thumb.gif

See, i kinda agree with SS on this one. It seems like a lot of shows have homosexual roles and or are built around homosexuals. I know that this sounds hollow, but, nothing against homosexuals, but i dont want or need to see them running around on the tube that often.

Give me a break.

Does your television not have one of these?

onoff.jpg

Failing that, do you have one of these lying around?

remote_vertical.jpg

If you don't want to watch a show featuring them dang homosexuals, don't.

Yes,my TV has both, and yes,if i dont want to watch a show featuring homosexxuals, or , or right wing Christians i can switch the channel. I was making a comment on the prevelance of homosexual characters on tv now. not whether i agree or disagree with thier lifestyle.

Whoa whoa whoa, take a chill pill, Dr. Savage.

Your post sounds one small step above the "don't buy race records" posters that were plastered around small towns in the 1930s and 40s.

Wait, I take that back. It's not one step above.

And not to go off on a rant here, but it always amazes me when people flap about how contemporary culture is becoming more "gay" and "liberal" and such. If anything, we're becoming the reverse.

Take the recent movie Troy, for example. Now, if you've bothered to ever read The Illiad, you know why Achilles rejoins the war and goes on a rampage against Hector after the death of Patroclus.

If you haven't read the poem, here's a subtle hint: Achilles was banging Patroclus.

Now, what do we get in our newfangled, "liberal hollywood" version? Oh, Achilles and Patroclus are COUSINS now. So that's why he's so pizzed off. Hmm, ok, I see. Right.

Folks, if anything, we're sliding the other way, and become more shockingly intolerant as we go. Don't kid yourselves.

Plato wrote in the Symposium that the highest form of love is man/man, but now homosexuality is "newfangled" and a "new thing." Just look at what's become of the phrase "platonic love." In order to compartmentalize homosexual activity as a pathology, "platonic love" has come to mean a sexless relationship. Go read Plato. It means anything but.

I'm not saying you have to agree with Plato (I don't). But don't kid yourself as to what direction our culture is "headed." We're putting the blinders on and jumping off the cliff, kiddies.

Some people just never learned not to speak their innermost biases out loud. We live in a PC age, and thats got good and bad aspects. Sometimes we get (over) exposred to lifestyles and vieewpoints we dont agree with. So be it. So those of you who hate blacks, Indians, gays, jews, Christians etc etc etc... Just remember that these same freedoms apply to YOUR lifestyle choices too. and be nice and roll with it.

And not to go off on a rant here, but it always amazes me when people flap about how contemporary culture is becoming more "gay" and "liberal" and such. If anything, we're becoming the reverse.

Take the recent movie Troy, for example. Now, if you've bothered to ever read The Illiad, you know why Achilles rejoins the war and goes on a rampage against Hector after the death of Patroclus.

If you haven't read the poem, here's a subtle hint: Achilles was banging Patroclus.

Now, what do we get in our newfangled, "liberal hollywood" version? Oh, Achilles and Patroclus are COUSINS now. So that's why he's so pizzed off. Hmm, ok, I see. Right.

Folks, if anything, we're sliding the other way, and become more shockingly intolerant as we go. Don't kid yourselves.

Plato wrote in the Symposium that the highest form of love is man/man, but now homosexuality is "newfangled" and a "new thing." Just look at what's become of the phrase "platonic love." In order to compartmentalize homosexual activity as a pathology, "platonic love" has come to mean a sexless relationship. Go read Plato. It means anything but.

I'm not saying you have to agree with Plato (I don't). But don't kid yourself as to what direction our culture is "headed." We're putting the blinders on and jumping off the cliff, kiddies.

I see what you are saying, but I dont agree totally. I really dont think we are headed in ANY one direction, toward one extreme of the other. Compared to 30-40 years ago, the current attitude toward homosexuality is in a honeymoon phase. A far cry from the then prevailing fear and animosity that kept 99% of all gays deeply in the closet. If you are gay, NOW is the best time (since Roman days) to do so, wouldnt you agree?.... It is this open attitude (which is still only 10-20 years old) that is still being worked out. Sure, they are popular characters on TV, and popping up everywhere it seems. But they have ALWAYS been there, just hiding in the shadows. So everyone who hates it, get used to it cause until its just so commonplace so as NOT to even attract attention, youre just gonna be upset every time you go outside.

and if it bothers anyone THAT much, go see a shrink and see whats REALLY behind your fear and loathing of it...

Aman, I see what you're saying too, but I would counter by saying that gays haven't always been around or hiding in the shadows, because there were no gays until the very late 18th century, or really the 19th century.

What? No gays?

Here's what I mean: Yes, there was of course the activity...sodomy, lesbianism, whatever else. But there was no point of identification as "gay" until the 19th century headshrinkers started to label homosexual behavior as a brain abormality or whatever. Nobody was gay; they just did gay, know what I'm saying? It was considered a preference (not always a historically popular preference) along the lines of what kind of food you'd like for dinner. Nobody thought of themselves as "gay", "straight," whatever. You only had sex or committed buggery. It wasn't considered intrinsic to your nature.

So I would argue that even the new presence of a gay identity is potentially a form of culturally regressive behavior, historically speaking....unless somebody can prove to me that there is in fact a "gay" gene. Maybe so...who knows, jury's not quite out on that one, i suppose.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Give me a break.

Does your television not have one of these?

onoff.jpg

Failing that, do you have one of these lying around?

remote_vertical.jpg

If you don't want to watch a show featuring them dang homosexuals, don't.

Just for the record I don't. What now you guys are going to deny that in the last few years there isn't a Will and Grace type show on every second channel? Maybe my "fruit" comments were insensitive but because I said I don't like it now I'm a homophobe? My biggest problem is that it is thrown in your face on tv day after day. Robin is gay anyways (not that there is anything wrong with that). 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

Homer's intent is debatable, and never classifies the relationship in the poem itself by using the terminology that would have "outed" the two for certain, nor is there a sexual act between the two even alluded to. If you didn't like Troy, you must have found Alexander more your speed tongue.gif

This view of the two as cousins, raised as brothers in the same household would explain the intense "love" between the two, Achilles' level of grief and passion for revenge in Homer's writings. I don't see why this view can't be as valid as the former (that they were gay lovers).

....unless somebody can prove to me that there is in fact a "gay" gene. Maybe so...who knows, jury's not quite out on that one, i suppose.

Wouldn't a "gay" gene strictly speaking tend to breed itself out of the population after a few generations of un-closeted, un-restricted homosexual preference? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I see your point... but whatever they called themselves, being homosexual has always been around. And, Im sure they knew who they were etc and where to go and not go. I never thought much about it but I have to assume that the "gay" lifestyle has always been a paralell or subset of EVERY community worldwide during eras of greater or lesser acceptance in their societies. If 'gay' is anewfangled term for it, fine. And if its origin came from psychoanalysis, again fine, And interesting. But its always been with us, in the secret corners etc. And Im happy for the friends I have who finally are free to act "normally in society even white they practice their abnormal love techniques!! : )

I also think its another of modern life's ironies that many of those who speak the loudest in condemning gays are in the clergy, where apparently sex with little boys is somehow 'different' and not at all 'gay' or the least bit hypocritical....or they are in the Moral Majorities loudly deriding anyone who thinks differently than they do while such "brotherly disdain" seems completely counter to their God's directives to "love thy neighbor as thyself". It doesnt then say "Unless they are such and such etc"

....unless somebody can prove to me that there is in fact a "gay" gene. Maybe so...who knows, jury's not quite out on that one, i suppose.

Wouldn't a "gay" gene strictly speaking tend to breed itself out of the population after a few generations of un-closeted, un-restricted homosexual preference? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's a mutant gene... oh crahp! HOUSE OF M!

It's a mutant gene... oh crahp! HOUSE OF M!

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif