• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you guess color touch removal?
2 2

59 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:
1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I wish slight color touch was not considered resto.  Why can't it have a blue label that just states there is slight color touch.  It's really nothing...just like rice paper for support.  It's dumb to put those in the same category as a book that's had large pieces replaced...

There are several GA books in a blue label with the notation, "Small amount of color touch" 

Overstreet guides/updates from the late 1980s to early 1990s had the following under the Very Fine/Near Mint (VF/NM) grade:

"microscopic dot color touch-up, unobtrusive arrival date erasure or other similar invisible alterations, on an otherwise perfect copy is permitted in this grade"

I was always amazed at how there was probably more ink on a cover from a date stamp written than minor touch up on some books, but the touch up copy was the kiss of death.

Edited by DanCooper

6 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Overstreet guides/updates from the late 1980s to early 1990s had the following under the Very Fine/Near Mint (VF/NM) grade:

"microscopic dot color touch-up, unobtrusive arrival date erasure or other similar invisible alterations, on an otherwise perfect copy is permitted in this grade"

I was always amazed at how there was probably more ink on a cover from a date stamp written than minor touch up on some books, but the touch up copy was the kiss of death.

Yep...it's a conspiracy I tell ya...hm

11 hours ago, Ryan. said:
11 hours ago, D84 said:

People damaging books to receive a blue label is making me consider getting out of the hobby.

I understand that viewpoint. Physically scraping away a piece of the cover to obtain a different color of the grading company's label means, to me, that the hobby officially has its head so far up its own ace that it can no longer see what it's doing.

10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

The concept of further damaging a book to increase its value is ludicrous. Unfortunately that is the market we are a part of.

Sad to say, although the introduction of the multi-colored label system implemented by CGC was done with all good intentions, as Borock himself admitted after the fact, it unfortunately resulted in the unintended consequences of demonizing or stigmatizing the restored books because it was now so much easier to target and paint them all with the same PLOD paint brush, regardless of the extent or type of restoration done to the book.  :(

As I have stated many times before in the past, this whole unfortunate situation with books being butchered just so that they can get encased with a blue label could all have been avoided in the first place if CGC had simply started off with a uni-color label system in conjunction with both a 10-point condition grading system combined with a 10-point rstoration rating system, similar to the one that Jon Berk Had proposed in an issue of CBM back in the day.  (thumbsu

16 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Exactly. Makes no sense at all.

18 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Date stamps convey specific information, color touch conveys nothing.

There’s nothing amazing about it, some people like date stamps and some don’t. (shrug)

19 minutes ago, buttock said:
1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

There’s nothing amazing about it, some people like date stamps and some are wrong(shrug)

Fixed that for you

Similarly I would imagine, some collectors like signatures and some collectors don't.  hm

It's really a case of to each, their own as it's their money they are spending. (thumbsu

16 minutes ago, Daveb25 said:

:gossip:  Dave, go back one page on this very same thread and see Gotham Kid and Batman_Fan posts on page 2

Not sure if my timing is good, but I am announcing my new high tech color touch removal service.  I have a guaranteed, money back if I do not fully remove any book's color touch, you get a 100% refund including shipping.  I use the most advanced technology to ensure the quality of my work.

sander.jpg

3 hours ago, Daveb25 said:

🤣 thank you. Guess I’ll pass and keep my 3.5. 

93A8E6AC-EE6D-417B-AD78-DCF279D631E3.jpeg

I much prefer your 3.5 to the ComicLink 5.5

Heritage has this if you're interested.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-58-dc-1941-cgc-vg-fn-50-light-tan-to-off-white-pages/a/7229-92037.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Sorry to mix SA in, but this FF1 is on Ebay right now with what I assume is the same issue. 

I can understand people not liking resto, but I can't understand the intentional mutilation of a comic book to increase its value.  

The only way to stop this practice is for collectors to not pay more for books like this or for CGC to include them as restored since they are being intentionally altered to improve value. 

Screenshot_20200425-060218_eBay.jpg

On 4/22/2020 at 8:35 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

At the risk of starting an argument, I have a question.  Take the Detective 36 in this thread. It is currently sitting in a blue holder because color touch has been scraped off.  Why is it necessary for the seller to state color touch has been removed?  Of course I agree that restoration should be disclosed with raw books.  

Different collectors have different criteria. Some see no issue with pressing and others won't buy a pressed book.

My opinion is anything known about the book should be disclosed. Especially a more valuable book with a pickier market. 

People hate restoration because of being burned for nondisclosure. Once work has been done to a book, it's restored. Scraping it off doesn't change that the book was altered for more profits. It was just altered again to hide that it was a restored book.

I don't care about a label from a company that is complicit in this practice (they offer restoration removal and it's not on their label when it's done).

It reaks of dishonesty. 

On 4/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, batman_fan said:

I attached one of my copies of the same book.  It is definitely worn but I think it has better eye appeal that the 6.0 with the scrapped off restoration.

Full disclosure, I could be biased.

batman9f.jpg

You can be thankful that somebody scribbled 1942 on it, twice, rather than put a pinpoint of color touch on Batman's face.  That would destroy its value.  Of course, if someone had done that, you could scrape Batman' face away and the color touch would be gone and it would be worth much more.

9 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I can understand people not liking resto, but I can't understand the intentional mutilation of a comic book to increase its value.  

The only way to stop this practice is for collectors to not pay more for books like this or for CGC to include them as restored since they are being intentionally altered to improve value. 

Ummm...........it sounds as though you do not quite understand how this whole grading process works as this is part of CCG's entire business model and there is absolutely no way that they will want CGC to eliminate one of the revenue streams that adds to both their top and bottom lines. :gossip: