• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC vs Voldermort's Company
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I'm sure that there are numerous threads about this, but the "Search..." is not the most helpful.

If a book is graded by Voldermort's company and then regraded by CGC, what is the usual result? Based on your experience, which is the most likely result? CGC grade is higher than VC (Voldermort's company) grade, CGC grade is the same as VC grade, or CGC grade is lower than VC grade?

I know that this has to be looked at on a case-by-case basis, but I'm just looking for a general trend. Also, if you have VC book graded at 9.4, would it be worth the chance of sending to CGC, considering the grade could go down?

12 hours ago, Bax77 said:

I never could understand why some people call CBCS a shady company when they have Borock, West, Paulus and DiceX. Just ignorant people I guess.

I don't consider them shady. However, CGC books sell for higher, and CGC's customer service IMHO is waaaaay beyond Voldy.

And I've had tremendous results using CCS as well for restoration removal. Their advice has been spot on.

Personally, I would only use Voldy if I had a slabbable (is that a word? LOL) book that was signed but not witnessed.

It all depends on on who graded which books but more times then not and it seems the grades do usually stay the same.  I told myself i'd never get books graded by that company after being near their booth at a local con back in 2017 and hearing them try to convince this young kid to get his non-key walking dead books graded that he had poorly stored in his backpack.  The guy who was there in a suit came across to me as a shady used car salesman.  Not to mention their over priced shipping and processing fees they were charging even for in person drop off.

59 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I don't consider them shady. However, CGC books sell for higher, and CGC's customer service IMHO is waaaaay beyond Voldy.

And I've had tremendous results using CCS as well for restoration removal. Their advice has been spot on.

Personally, I would only use Voldy if I had a slabbable (is that a word? LOL) book that was signed but not witnessed.

I have had a mixed bag of experiences.  I have had great customer service when I had used "the other" company and some pretty bad and good ones from CGC.

As far as which books sell for higher, I would have agreed with this statement until about two years ago when I started seeing prices being about the same.  

Now, if you are concerned about the two companies, I just say forget them both and go with PGX - spot on grading every time!!! (jk)

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 7:40 PM, Bax77 said:

I never could understand why some people call CBCS a shady company when they have Borock, West, Paulus and DiceX. Just ignorant people I guess.

You're right about half of them.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:39 AM, oldrover said:

That's it. That's the only logical reason I can fathom that would be of more benefit than CGC. A submission alternative solely for a specific service that CGC does not offer.

I have found that they are very comparable. I've switched to using the competitor for cheaper books I might have otherwise not gotten graded by CGC due to costs (rates, shipping and custom fees), especially since their drop off location is near me in Canada so it is super easy (whereas the LCS I was using for CGC has been so problematic, combined with CGC's customer service on the matter, it really soured me on the idea of that process. I do have my own CGC account now, though prefer to limit submissions to big books that I send to Mike at Hero Restoration).

What I have noticed is that of the two I've found more books come back slightly higher from CGC than I expected (especially older Golden Age stuff), whereas the opposite is the case for Voldy's (not a big major grade difference, but what it has done is raise my confidence in buying those slabbed books on the secondary market). More competition is excellent for everyone, though Voldy needs to get their act together regarding their god-awful website forums and lack of census (biggest issues right there - but the good news is that is all software based and just requires time/money to address)

UPDATE: Speak of the devil and they shall appear - They just added census registry to their site. Looks like it still needs some work but I like how you can get the exact details for every issue graded (page quality, images, etc). Noice.

Edited by Sauce Dog
feature update