• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Comics from the mid-90's

21 posts in this topic

I received a long box of Valiant Comics from the '90s.

I have runs of each starting from 0,1 thru 10.

Are any of these titles worth reading? confused.gif

Archer & Armstrong

Armorines

Eternal Warrior

Geomancer

Harbinger

Hard Corps

X-O Manowar

Turok

Solar Man

Timewalker

Secret Weapons

Shadowman

Psi-Lords

RAI

Magnus Robot Fighter

Ninjak

I haven't read any, but I think Harbinger is real popular, Ninjak, Magnus and Solar might be good reads too. Perhaps Rai?

I guess it depends on your taste, read one or two and see what it's like.

I definitely reccomend any of the initial "core" titles. and any Issue up to "UNITY". So pull out Harbinger, X-O, Magnus, Solar, Rai and Eternal Warrior. If you have issues 0-10 on all titles I think you will have the entire Unity run. Put the books in order and read them that way. You won't be dissappointed.

Mike

p.s. how many misspelled words can you count in that post?

Archer & Armstrong -yes

Armorines - no

Eternal Warrior - yes

Geomancer no

Harbinger - yes

Hard Corps - yes

X-O Manowar - yes

Turok - yes

Solar Man - yes

Timewalker - no

Secret Weapons - no

Shadowman - yes

Psi-Lords - no

RAI -yes

Magnus Robot Fighter - yes

Ninjak - no

I'm a little confused about why you are asking which of these titles are a good read when you are selling them on ebay. Is this just your way of being subtle about your spam? Did you think someone would ask you if they were for sale and you would say indeed they are?

Sorry not trying to be negative just a little confused.

ericc123:

I bought a large collection from a guy locally that perfers spending his money on getting more horse power out of his 1986 Buick. I only wanted 2 long boxes, but he insisted that I take all 8 for the price I was willing to pay for the 2. I bought the collection primarily for the silver age DC's\Marvels.

I've never read Valiant before. I was curious if I should take a look at a few (I've got a over 100 now).

I like Flying Donuts quick breakdown:

Archer & Armstrong -yes

Armorines - no

Eternal Warrior - yes

Geomancer no

Harbinger - yes

Hard Corps - yes

X-O Manowar - yes

Turok - yes

Solar Man - yes

Timewalker - no

Secret Weapons - no

Shadowman - yes

Psi-Lords - no

RAI -yes

Magnus Robot Fighter - yes

Ninjak - no

I'm reading solar man now.

Btw, back in the day my circle of friends would go see Ron Jeremy at a local drive-in theatre. We gave him the nickname the 'Wand'.

This afternoon during the sox vs. yanks game I read:

Solar Man

Archer & Armstrong

Harbinger

X-O Manowar 0,1

I thought Solar Man was dated, early '90s super-power politics and nuclear power anxieties. With gas $2.60 per in 2005, they can build a nuclear power plant in my basement. Liked the Barry Winsor-Smith middle section.

Archer & Armstrong: First few pages was decent, by the end of the book I wasn't feeling much interest in either Archer or Armstrong. Maybe the book needed an Allen or Alexander to get me to want to read the next issue.

Harbinger: Interesting read. I like how the characters are lost kids trying to make serious decisions, but are really misguided in what they are doing. I may read more.

X-O Manowar: I liked issue 0. I also liked #1. I like the dark aged barbarian abducted by aliens turned refuge in the modern age. Left me wanting to know more. I'll keep reading.

ericc123:

I bought a large collection from a guy locally that perfers spending his money on getting more horse power out of his 1986 Buick'.

Off topic...

I can only assume the guy you bought the books from has a Grand National. I almost bought an '87 a few years ago, but decided to go with classic muscle instead...a 1969 GTO grin.gif. A wise choice IMO thumbsup2.gif.

K

Back to the show..... yay.gif

These guys have already done a good job of giving you the "worth reading" answers.

In general, Valiant is easy to break down using dates.

All 1991 through July 1992... great books, the foundation of the universe.

August & September 1992... the Unity storyline... told in each title from the main character's perspective.

Late-1992... Valiant's popularity, number of titles, and print runs began rapidly increasing.

1993-1994... Success of the early books pushed print runs into the hundreds of thousands (plus),

and simultaneously the quality of most titles began to decline... (coincidence?)

1995-1996... Valiant titles come to an end... most are miles from their story foundations.

Not surprisingly, the titles "worth reading" according to the guys above

are "Yes" if the title started in 1991 or 1992, and "No" if the title started later.

(P.S. Half of the #0 issues you have probably came at least a year after issue #1.)

Valiantman.....

boo-ya to you.

Thanks for the the knowledge.

In addition to reading the titles, I'm enjoying the Jim Shooter editorals.

His hair-cut makes me feel anxious.

Is he still in the business?

klozd24seven:

'87 Grand National it is.

This afternoon during the sox vs. yanks game I read:

Solar Man

Archer & Armstrong

Harbinger

X-O Manowar 0,1

I thought Solar Man was dated, early '90s super-power politics and nuclear power anxieties. With gas $2.60 per in 2005, they can build a nuclear power plant in my basement. Liked the Barry Winsor-Smith middle section.

Archer & Armstrong: First few pages was decent, by the end of the book I wasn't feeling much interest in either Archer or Armstrong. Maybe the book needed an Allen or Alexander to get me to want to read the next issue.

Harbinger: Interesting read. I like how the characters are lost kids trying to make serious decisions, but are really misguided in what they are doing. I may read more.

X-O Manowar: I liked issue 0. I also liked #1. I like the dark aged barbarian abducted by aliens turned refuge in the modern age. Left me wanting to know more. I'll keep reading.

I'm very much enjoying your comments. Please keep posting as you read 893applaud-thumb.gif

I kind of liked the first couple of issues of Ninjak... it never seemed like real Valiant fare, but I thought it was fairly entertaining... especially with the Quesada artwork. Actually, the artwork was the coolest thing about it. smile.gif

Colin King certainly had some potential... even if it wasn't ever totally realized... and, hey, he had a collapsable sword!