• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off Topic.....Question about Renters Insurance

7 posts in this topic

I thought I'd post this here since there are a few lawyers & maybe someone that can answer a few questions about renters insurance.....are the renters suppose to buy there insurance for personal items...I suppose the landlords insurance only covers damage to their property.

Here's what happened to me today...

Woke up at 8:30 must of sensed something as I could smell something electrical burning....it was...my surge protector had just burned up in the bedroom...replaced it & everything was fine.Just thought the surge protector was bad.Well then I noticed no cable or cable internet was working...huh I thought.Ok so after awhile the power in the house starts surging.....the Air Conditioner would bog down & the light in the bedroom would get bright....this goes on till about 3 oclock,so I decided to call the cable company & my landlord.I just figured the electric co. was working in the area.

Anyways the landlord came over & as I was explaining to him what was happening with the lights & ac....the ac shuts off. I figured it was my 2 yr old son he's always into things...so I run into the house & go into the bedroom & my tv was smoking... 893whatthe.gif So I unplugged the outlets in there. The landlord turned off power to the house & called the electric co....he was here in 15min...I'll save you the rest but suffice to say he found the problem right before he was about to remove the meter....it was a ground wire that lead to the meter he had barely touched it & it broke off....whew!!!! Fixed temporarily until the Landlord gets someone out here to replace it tommorrow.

Come to find out the cable co. had used the same ground....& all the lines in the box & up to the pole got fried....it was fixed today also...

So whats the problem you may ask.....well here's what the power surge destoyed...even things that were'nt turned on but plugged in:

2 TV'S

Sons X-Box that's 2 month's old...that has Madden 2006 in it that I just bought!

1-computer with monitor....the one that's mine of course... frown.gif

1-vcr...luckily the dvd player survived...surprisingly cause it was hooked up with the Tv.

That's all for now I guess...Any opinions would be kind.You think the X-box can be replaced since it's still under warranty...the only thing that was....& would they return my game confused-smiley-013.gif Thanks for listening Cassandra hi.gif

I had a similar thing happen when I was renting.

Renter's insurance took care of everything.

Because it was the ground for the house, my landlord took care of the deductible.

But...My landlord was a nice guy.

Good luck! crazy.gif

I thought I'd post this here since there are a few lawyers & maybe someone that can answer a few questions about renters insurance.....are the renters suppose to buy there insurance for personal items...I suppose the landlords insurance only covers damage to their property.

Here's what happened to me today...

Woke up at 8:30 must of sensed something as I could smell something electrical burning....it was...my surge protector had just burned up in the bedroom...replaced it & everything was fine.Just thought the surge protector was bad.Well then I noticed no cable or cable internet was working...huh I thought.Ok so after awhile the power in the house starts surging.....the Air Conditioner would bog down & the light in the bedroom would get bright....this goes on till about 3 oclock,so I decided to call the cable company & my landlord.I just figured the electric co. was working in the area.

Anyways the landlord came over & as I was explaining to him what was happening with the lights & ac....the ac shuts off. I figured it was my 2 yr old son he's always into things...so I run into the house & go into the bedroom & my tv was smoking... 893whatthe.gif So I unplugged the outlets in there. The landlord turned off power to the house & called the electric co....he was here in 15min...I'll save you the rest but suffice to say he found the problem right before he was about to remove the meter....it was a ground wire that lead to the meter he had barely touched it & it broke off....whew!!!! Fixed temporarily until the Landlord gets someone out here to replace it tommorrow.

Come to find out the cable co. had used the same ground....& all the lines in the box & up to the pole got fried....it was fixed today also...

So whats the problem you may ask.....well here's what the power surge destoyed...even things that were'nt turned on but plugged in:

2 TV'S

Sons X-Box that's 2 month's old...that has Madden 2006 in it that I just bought!

1-computer with monitor....the one that's mine of course... frown.gif

1-vcr...luckily the dvd player survived...surprisingly cause it was hooked up with the Tv.

That's all for now I guess...Any opinions would be kind.You think the X-box can be replaced since it's still under warranty...the only thing that was....& would they return my game confused-smiley-013.gif Thanks for listening Cassandra hi.gif

If the faulty electrical system was the fault of the landlord, then unless your lease says otherwise, he has to pay for the stuff that was destroyed. And even if the lease says otherwise, depending on the laws of your home state, you still might be able to weasel your way around that language.

Whether or not the landlord has his own insurance to cover your property is kind of irrelevant unless you are an additional named insured. If he has coverage for your property, that will just pay him back for sums he pays you for damage he caused by allowing the electrical system to fall into disrepair.

You should be able to pop the game out. Check for a little hole that will allow you to push say a paperclip through to push the tray out.

I would think homeowners would cover the rest.

Thanks for the info ...got it removed... acclaim.gif

If the faulty electrical system was the fault of the landlord, then unless your lease says otherwise, he has to pay for the stuff that was destroyed. And even if the lease says otherwise, depending on the laws of your home state, you still might be able to weasel your way around that language.

Whether or not the landlord has his own insurance to cover your property is kind of irrelevant unless you are an additional named insured. If he has coverage for your property, that will just pay him back for sums he pays you for damage he caused by allowing the electrical system to fall into disrepair.

Thanks FFB....I'll have to get another copy of my lease agreement,when the landlord was out yesterday he did'nt say anything or really seem to care...oh,well.The city electrician did say that line was his responsibility though.I read that it was the renters responsibilty to insure their items.

I also read the Missouri Landlord-tenant law.....but could'nt find anything conclusive for my situation...I'll provide the link tell me what you think.

Landlord-Tenant Law

Thanks FFB....I'll have to get another copy of my lease agreement,when the landlord was out yesterday he did'nt say anything or really seem to care...oh,well.The city electrician did say that line was his responsibility though.I read that it was the renters responsibilty to insure their items.

I also read the Missouri Landlord-tenant law.....but could'nt find anything conclusive for my situation...I'll provide the link tell me what you think.

Landlord-Tenant Law

Don't focus on whose responsibility it was to insure your items because that is irrelevant. What matters is, whose responsibility was it to keep the electrical system in good working order? Unless your lease says otherwise, it was probably the landlord's responsibility because it is his duty to make certain that the premises are habitable (which would include making sure that the apartment had a functional electrical system).

If, for the sake of argument, you had insurance on your items, all that would mean is that you could seek reimbursement from your insurance company. Your insurance company would then be entitled to sue your landlord to get reimbursed for damages he caused that the insurance company had to pay. If you did not have insurance, you still have the right to sue your landlord. Take him to small claims court if he won't pay for the damage.