• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer 4 CGC 9.8 white

109 posts in this topic

I guess your only throwing it away if your not willing to really pay that much for it but are rather buying because everyone else is....there are just some books that will always be cool and i am willing to pay (when i can) more than anyone else to have the pleasure of owning them for a while.

I just posted on another board after seeing a slabbed 9.6 book that the book is just unnattractive no matter what the grade on the lable says and this thread pretty much hits what I was refering to.

I think the SS is interesting for this topic because people who collect those old surfer books are, in my opinion and experience, weirder than your normal comic person. I like Marvel, and under that ASM first and then the surfer.

With only 18 books in the series, it generates some odd collecting habits. I have multiples of issues that now I can't remember which one I purchased trying to upgrade over which copy. I've bought nice books, rushed home, pulled out the collection and found that the one I already had was nicer - it was issue 10 that the new book would have upgraded, not issue 15! That sort of stuff. While I do play the upgrade game with other books (particularly the spider-guy), it never matched the same odd fanaticism that accompanied the surfer books. And lets not even talk about the spidey/surfer crossover issue!

The point is, no matter how rare that book is in that condition - and I spent some time looking for really nice copies of this book - I still suspect there is a better one out there. Its a surfer! Somewhere out there there is a guy with 5,000 comics comprised of only 18 different issues. He's going to die someday, his kids will take his books to a comic dealer, and the market will be flooded with 10.0 runs of surfer books.

BTW - from what I can tell from the scans (which is really jack), the 9.6 X-men is nicer than the 9.8. I wouldn't buy the 9.8 raw and, if I recieved it in the mail after buying it without a scan, would be disappointed.

And it is one of the coolest covers ever.

I just posted on another board after seeing a slabbed 9.6 book that the book is just unnattractive no matter what the grade on the lable says and this thread pretty much hits what I was refering to.

I think the SS is interesting for this topic because people who collect those old surfer books are, in my opinion and experience, weirder than your normal comic person. I like Marvel, and under that ASM first and then the surfer.

With only 18 books in the series, it generates some odd collecting habits. I have multiples of issues that now I can't remember which one I purchased trying to upgrade over which copy. I've bought nice books, rushed home, pulled out the collection and found that the one I already had was nicer - it was issue 10 that the new book would have upgraded, not issue 15! That sort of stuff. While I do play the upgrade game with other books (particularly the spider-guy), it never matched the same odd fanaticism that accompanied the surfer books. And lets not even talk about the spidey/surfer crossover issue!

The point is, no matter how rare that book is in that condition - and I spent some time looking for really nice copies of this book - I still suspect there is a better one out there. Its a surfer! Somewhere out there there is a guy with 5,000 comics comprised of only 18 different issues. He's going to die someday, his kids will take his books to a comic dealer, and the market will be flooded with 10.0 runs of surfer books.

BTW - from what I can tell from the scans (which is really jack), the 9.6 X-men is nicer than the 9.8. I wouldn't buy the 9.8 raw and, if I recieved it in the mail after buying it without a scan, would be disappointed.

Like from the diary of the Unibomber. confused.gif You make some good points but you lost me when you said "people who collect Surfer books are wierder than normal" What? screwy.gif

confused.gif This post makes me long for the more intelligent ramblings of Luxxcorp.