• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer 4 CGC 9.8 white

109 posts in this topic

Oh I am not putting into question October's grading ability.

Me either. flowerred.gif

In the last Nikos' grading contest, I was thoroughly impressed by his ability to be right on the mark or clearly only a single grade off. I thought I made it clear I know that Andy can grade.

I've not tried my hand at any of those and doubt I'd do as well from looking at scans.

I was merely reflecting that, to my knowledge, he hasn't had those years of experience, hence his doubt that others can reliably distinguish between a 9.6 and a 9.8.

My point was that I think it's less interesting to discern these grades on the BA books.

Could I pick out Claudia Schiffer (insert favorite super-model here) in Anytown, USA? Yes.

Could I pick her out in Beverly Hills? Yes.

But she wouldn't be quite as unique nor as visually compelling relative to the population given the other models and actresses running around.

I like that analogy. I like it a lot. could you set me up in a grading contest with Claudia Schiffer and 2 other hot models in a closed room? oh, and I dont need 2 other graders in there with me. thanx

hi.gif Me too.

However, even if Claudia receives a 9.8, I may still have to give her a PLOD. I'll perform a strict inspection of course just to make sure that there aren't pieces added or taken away. tongue.gif

Now THAT'S something I would like to see. thumbsup2.gif

I am sure many collectors think they can tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. Ok. What IS the difference between the two? Can anyone explain it to me in definite terms? What is allowed and what isn't? Please cite measurements and other specifics. If three accomplished graders can agree 80-90% of the time, surely some iron-clad rules can be hammered out of that. Unfortunately, people keep side-stepping that issue. How can the differences between a 9.6 and a 9.8 be so apparent to some people without them being able to quantify those differences? confused-smiley-013.gif I am looking for something a lot more concrete than OSGG loosey-goosey wording here.

I did actually see it....I was at CGC and dropped off some books in person. I happened to meet Doug Schmell for the first time (who was at CGC picking some stuff up) and i showed him my submissions. He and I were pretty much in agreement on the grades and page quality of the books. I submitted them and every book came back exactly as we had graded them...down to page quality even! That shows me that there is a frame of reference that most would agree on. I have also fairly consitantly called most grades (as most of you guys probably have), and the only time i am off is if I miss something, which the graders notes reveal.

That's not to say i am a pro grader, but i've spent a lot of time trying to refine my skills and with experience it does come together, eventually.

I like that analogy. I like it a lot. could you set me up in a grading contest with Claudia Schiffer and 2 other hot models in a closed room? oh, and I dont need 2 other graders in there with me. thanx

sign-funnypost.gif

It looks like we lightened up the mood on this thread as opposed to it turning into a pressing discussion with the inevitable death spiral.

sign-funnypost.gif

It looks like we lightened up the mood on this thread as opposed to it turning into a pressing discussion with the inevitable death spiral.

I think Claudia is one candidate where pressing would definately LOWER THE GRADE!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just checked the census and there are currently 610 SS #4's registered. Of these 5 are 9.8's and 19 are 9.6's. Unbelievably there is even one 0.5 book.

What was someone driving by CGC and happen to run over a copy of SS #4 and decide to drop it off for grading?

confused-smiley-013.gif

What?! Is there something you want to tell us about this book?! foreheadslap.gif

Does anyone besides me think that after grading comics day after day, week after week, month after month, for five years, the cgc graders can tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 ??? What if it were a 25 point, or 100 point scale?

As to why I buy a 9.6 or a 9.8 bronze book, I just think that in a few years, the bronze 9.4 and below will not hold their value....bell curve principle....

Does anyone besides me think that after grading comics day after day, week after week, month after month, for five years, the cgc graders can tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 ??? What if it were a 25 point, or 100 point scale?

As to why I buy a 9.6 or a 9.8 bronze book, I just think that in a few years, the bronze 9.4 and below will not hold their value....bell curve principle....

I don't think a lot of late BA 9.4's hold their value now.

thwy may in fact have developed some consistency in determining the differences between 9.6s and 9.8s... but STILL--- theres just not enough difference to entice me to buy them..

thwy may in fact have developed some consistency in determining the differences between 9.6s and 9.8s... but STILL--- theres just not enough difference to entice me to buy them..

Well then you if you want top grade 9.6 will suffice, as anything higher is merely fractional refinement on what is already the best condition possible. So save your money and sit with 9.6.

And with SS#4 in particular with it's black glosss cover where everything shows up. I've had them all between 9.0, and 9.6, and to be honest on this book you better have good eyesight to find what the grader and his magnifying galss saw to distinguish between those grades.

Structure is always going to be subjective, with CGC, and the comic collector at large. It's never going to be pinned down.

there is if your anal about perfection....i'm kinda like that...always had to have the best possible.

the best is always... Best. sure. but at what price? YOU maye be that anal about it, but if enough others dont agree or follow you end up throwing away $$$s for a degree of perfection no on else shares... or was illusory to begin with!