• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small pieces of CGC case inside slab.

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I received a book in the mail today. The top right corner is slightly chipped, and it has a few small pieces of plastic inside the slab. It did not happen during transit, as it was packed well. Looking back at the pix, I can see the chips in there (now that I know what I'm looking for). 

Would CGC reholder this book, or need a regrade? Any suggestions on what to do with the book, return, reholder, ask for partial refund etc?IMG_8852.thumb.JPG.066ec10d35a8e7a37435c2849ab47ec0.JPGIMG_8854.thumb.JPG.9288b68f2fbe3e34e8d467b132515d4e.JPGIMG_8853.thumb.JPG.bb089bc252cbdd1f119c730ac1e94b4d.JPGIMG_8850.thumb.JPG.00aa3079bc85d0ade7666e5304cc481c.JPGIMG_8851.thumb.JPG.3a9b1e46a73efc56ea770e8bf50463a2.JPG

Thanks.

If the seller didn't mention it, or show a close up picture then I would ask for a refund. If they refuse to refund even like 10 bucks I would ask to return. Unless the book is nice or you like the price you got it for which is hopefully the case. I never sent any reslabs but from what I heard they should just reslab it. I have gotten similar books from other sellers. Majority of books I get the case has some amount of scratches. 

My question is are all these different sellers damaging these cases or is it fairly common for cgc to send out slabs less then perfect condition?

He finally sent me a nonchalant msg last nite: 

"We are sorry about that. I guess you are going to send it in to be reholdered? We can send you some money to cover that charge if you want."

I asked about it being reholdered or would it need to be regraded due to the damage. I also asked why he didn't mention it in the description. Waiting for a response...

This is definitely on the seller, not CGC. 

9 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

My question is are all these different sellers damaging these cases or is it fairly common for cgc to send out slabs less then perfect condition?

It's fairly common for the holder to be damaged during shipping...

11 minutes ago, manofsteel said:

He finally sent me a nonchalant msg last nite: 

"We are sorry about that. I guess you are going to send it in to be reholdered? We can send you some money to cover that charge if you want."

I asked about it being reholdered or would it need to be regraded due to the damage. I also asked why he didn't mention it in the description. Waiting for a response...

This is definitely on the seller, not CGC. 

This is an easy one for CGC to fix. The outer shell will have to be replaced, but this shouldn't require a regrade. The last I knew, a reholder was $15. You can also add in the shipping costs and any other related fees. 

I would absolutely ask the seller to pay for this...

14 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

This is an easy one for CGC to fix. The outer shell will have to be replaced, but this shouldn't require a regrade. The last I knew, a reholder was $15. You can also add in the shipping costs and any other related fees. 

Ok thanks... I was afraid it would be regraded, and of course there's the possibility that it comes back lower. I asked CGC, but I haven't heard back yet. 

3 minutes ago, manofsteel said:

Ok thanks... I was afraid it would be regraded, and of course there's the possibility that it comes back lower. I asked CGC, but I haven't heard back yet. 

While the graders often work on weekends, it's usually a different story for the rest of the CGC staff...

10 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

While the graders often work on weekends, it's usually a different story for the rest of the CGC staff...

I just meant I haven't heard back yet. Now, I did email them Sunday about an invoice issue, and for that, I STLL havent heard back. Lol

The slabs are actually very fragile and even if packed well the box could have been dropped and that alone could have caused some damage.

It seems the seller is willing to work with you which is a good thing. It will likely just get a new case as it does not look like the pieces are causing any damage to the inner well.

33 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

The slabs are actually very fragile and even if packed well the box could have been dropped and that alone could have caused some damage.

It seems the seller is willing to work with you which is a good thing. It will likely just get a new case as it does not look like the pieces are causing any damage to the inner well.

When I went back and looked at the pix, knowing now what they are, I can see them. Still haven't heard back from him again. 

On 5/2/2020 at 8:43 AM, The Lions Den said:

(thumbsu

On 5/2/2020 at 9:31 PM, JollyComics said:

894174992_ScreenShot2020-05-02at8_26_34PM.png.335a22649f3a57cf80863caff37b8b23.png

I found your copy in eBay.  The seller didn't mention the pieces inside the case.  There are more pieces moving around inside the case when you received than the previous image in eBay.

I agreed with the seller to pay you for the new reholder.

There’s debris in the case.   CGC will reholder for free & cover shipping