• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What if CGC gave a PLOD 2 grades...

7 posts in this topic

Why restore a book if it is going to be graded as if the work wasn't done?

The Purple label already tells you all the work that they caught, now you want them to reverse engineer the book?

They're already reverse engineering the book. All they have to is add the estimated grade minus the resto they discovered. It would really boost the value of books with slight restoration, which is as it should be. 

1 hour ago, Bax77 said:

Which is as it should be?? hm I'm going to guess you own a bunch of books with slight restoration?

Well, "as it should be" is probably the case for C-1 restoration, which is pretty common. A lot of comics have that sort of (usually) well-meaning amateur "help". And for those books, it's pretty easy to imagine what the book's state would have been without the restoration. But it's utterly impossible to reverse engineer more involved and/or professional work.

And what would the "without restoration" grade even mean for a book with a married cover? A trimmed book? There's no way to even guess at the previous state.

It's not a bad idea, exactly, but it's not a very feasible one. CGC sees what the book looks like now, and that's all they can pass judgment on.

On 5/1/2020 at 6:20 PM, oldrover said:

A grade for its present appearance, and a grade for its appearance without the restoration done? 

Im sure I’ll be told why this is a bad idea. Maybe I’ll figure it out myself, after the second bourbon. :devil:

:sick: