• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staples replaced ?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Someone wants to sell me a nice copy of Avengers #48 but I'm not sure if the staples have been replaced.

Here are some pics. Do you think there has been restoration (staples replaced) ?

Any experts on restoration here ? Thanks for your help !

top2.jpg

bottom2.jpg

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

Edited by migmtl76

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

Hi guys,

Someone wants to sell me a nice copy of Avengers #48 but I'm not sure if the staples have been replaced.

Here are some pics. Do you think there has been restoration (staples replaced) ?

Any experts on restoration here ? Thanks for your help !

top2.jpg

bottom2.jpg

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

Looks OK. I don't see any overt signs of removal and replacement. The paper surrounding the staples does not appear to be disturbed or affected by opening and closing the staples.

Edited by James J Johnson

Always difficult to say without the book in hand, but I don't see anything that raises alarm bells here. One reason to remove staples would be because they are starting to rust - I can't see any migration to the book. And, as Tom Jones once said, it's not unusual for the staples to miss one or more interior wraps during production. The bottom staple looks like it has discolouration too, indicating authenticity. What makes you worry?

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Looks OK. I don't see any overt signs of removal and replacement. The paper surrounding the staples does not appear to be disturbed or affected by opening and closing the staples.

I was typing my response when the notification that someone else had just posted popped up. You never know whether to read that first or just carry on! I did the latter and, thankfully, it seems we're on the same page :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I was typing my response when the notification that someone else had just posted popped up. You never know whether to read that first or just carry on! I did the latter and, thankfully, it seems we're on the same page :bigsmile:

You really do never know! There's always somebody somewhere that's stirring the CGC forum cauldron. (worship)

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Always difficult to say without the book in hand, but I don't see anything that raises alarm bells here. One reason to remove staples would be because they are starting to rust - I can't see any migration to the book. And, as Tom Jones once said, it's not unusual for the staples to miss one or more interior wraps during production. The bottom staple looks like it has discolouration too, indicating authenticity. What makes you worry?

Thanks for your input. 

The bottom staple has me worried because it looks like the paper around the holes was widdened. Look at the top staple and compare. However on the outside of the book it looks good. 

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

Thanks for your input. 

The bottom staple has me worried because it looks like the paper around the holes was widdened. Look at the top staple and compare. However on the outside of the book it looks good. 

I see what you mean but it still looks normal to me - and things tend to look much look worse when you magnify them. I'm confident it's a legit copy that hasn't been tampered with. Enjoy it :)