• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Jonah Hex

22 posts in this topic

So, I just found out about the new Jonah Hex series from DC and have some questions some of you may have the answers to. The Quitely cover is okay, nothing that makes me say "wow" or anything.

4425_180x270.jpg

Is this an ongoing or a mini?

Can anyone tell me about the creative team? Looks kind of lackluster, though I'll admit I don't know much about the writers (I thought Palmiotti was an inker only?) and artist. I googled Luke Ross and found that's a pen name for Luciano Queiroz, a Brazilian who used to do Spider-man art. His style looks pretty cartoonish from the example I saw.

Also, I am pretty stoked about this. The only thing is, it says it is an all Jonah Hex thing, but it mentions reprinting All-Star Western 2-8 which are not Hex issues. What gives? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have loved everything that Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti have written.

21 Down, The New West, Twilight Experiment, Monolith, The Resistance. All under the radar kinda stuff, but all really solid, 21 Down especially. I keep hoping that comes back at some point.

You know, I did read the first issue of The New West and meant to pick up the second. I liked it enough to want more.

I found a larger version of the cover art and it does look pretty cool with more of the detail revealed.

JonahHexCv1.jpg

So, I just found out about the new Jonah Hex series from DC...

Also, I am pretty stoked about this. The only thing is, it says it is an all Jonah Hex thing, but it mentions reprinting All-Star Western 2-8 which are not Hex issues. What gives? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, link one seems to answer the question I've had since January--looks like it is going to be a straight western, not western/horror. I'm pleased about that though I did enjoy all the JH horror mniseries.

In terms of link two, I'm confused too. At first I thought they were just incorrect about issues 2-8 but otherwise I don't think it's going to add up to 528 pages. So perhaps it's other western material too.

I'm not sure why they don't include DC Special Series 16 with 40 pages of Russ Heath doing JH.

Marc

Well, link one seems to answer the question I've had since January--looks like it is going to be a straight western, not western/horror. I'm pleased about that though I did enjoy all the JH horror mniseries.

In terms of link two, I'm confused too. At first I thought they were just incorrect about issues 2-8 but otherwise I don't think it's going to add up to 528 pages. So perhaps it's other western material too.

I'm not sure why they don't include DC Special Series 16 with 40 pages of Russ Heath doing JH.

Marc

Is the Truman stuff any good? I have avoided those books since I have been back collecting for some reason. His covers don't really impress me and I was never a grimjack or Scout fan.

This new one interests me b/c it does look like a straight western and I found an interview where they said each issue will be a self-contained story. That is good to hear with current books.

My guess is that the info for the reprint is wrong and it will be all Hex stuff (maybe more Weird Westerns). It says Vol. 1, so maybe they will get to the DC SS 16 in a later volume. I have the runs of Jonah Hex in Weird Western and his own series, I just haven't gotten to read many of them, perhaps this will help me catch up. Love those Fleischer stories.

Is the Truman stuff any good? I have avoided those books since I have been back collecting for some reason. His covers don't really impress me and I was never a grimjack or Scout fan.

This new one interests me b/c it does look like a straight western and I found an interview where they said each issue will be a self-contained story. That is good to hear with current books.

My guess is that the info for the reprint is wrong and it will be all Hex stuff (maybe more Weird Westerns). It says Vol. 1, so maybe they will get to the DC SS 16 in a later volume. I have the runs of Jonah Hex in Weird Western and his own series, I just haven't gotten to read many of them, perhaps this will help me catch up. Love those Fleischer stories.

The reprint is in black and white so I assume if you already have the runs you'd rather read your comics. I think you're right--if they include the full-length Hex stories from WWT 34-38 then the page count makes more sense.

A volume two would probably have the full run of Jonah Hex 1-20 or so.

I always think of those miniseries as the Lansdale stuff, not the Truman stuff, but that's just me. I like them a good deal, though I prefer straight western. With Glanzman inks it's hard to go wrong, but for me the writer is almost always more important.

Marc

I always think of those miniseries as the Lansdale stuff, not the Truman stuff, but that's just me. I like them a good deal, though I prefer straight western. With Glanzman inks it's hard to go wrong, but for me the writer is almost always more important.

I always thought Truman's gritty style was perfect for those mini series! thumbsup2.gif

I always thought Truman's gritty style was perfect for those mini series! thumbsup2.gif

I might have to check them out. They're more like supernatural or something, right? I would loved to have seen Steve Dillon do this current Jonah Hex. I love his Saint of All Killers.

I might have to check them out. They're more like supernatural or something, right? I would loved to have seen Steve Dillon do this current Jonah Hex. I love his Saint of All Killers.

Yeah, they all had supernatural elements in them.

JONAH HEX: TWO GUN MOJO thumbsup2.gif

JONAH HEX: RIDERS OF THE WORM & SUCH thumbsup2.gif

JONAH HEX: SHADOWS WEST (story about a bear-headed baby crazy.gif)

The only JH treatment I didn't like was when DC decided to do this...

910069-Hex.gif

What were they thinking? foreheadslap.gif

Desperadoes was also a good read as it delves into that "weird western" genre.

910069-Hex.gif.26e8f9571dd4a2e549f2743ad63fadca.gif

well ok....that preview looks better than the image you'd posted.

i'd been kinda looking forward to the series, but that head shot is not to my liking and it was getting me worried.

those preview pages, however, look very nice. might still give it a try.

well ok....that preview looks better than the image you'd posted.

i'd been kinda looking forward to the series, but that head shot is not to my liking and it was getting me worried.

those preview pages, however, look very nice. might still give it a try.

The Quitely cover has grown on me. sorry.gif

His eyeball looks extra cool in the large version. thumbsup2.gif

I'll buy it and reserve judgment on the interior until I can read the whole thing. I think the art is better than I was envisioning it to be.

Im looking forward to a new HEX series. I bought and reda every issues when they came out. It was one of oonly a handful I stuck with throughout the late 70s.

no mystery about whats in the Reprint . heres what the link on this thread says:

Witness the earliest adventures of DC's legendary gunslinger from ALL-STAR WESTERN #2-8 and #10-11, WEIRD WESTERN TALES #12-14 and #16-33! Jonah Hex had no friends, but he did have two companions: death, and the acrid smell of gunsmoke!

It starts with issue 2-8, but also includes 10, 11 and all the rest except #15 (was that a reprint? cant recall.

as for the Quitely cover. I can see ehy you were initially unenthused. But, to me, its a great drawing ( I love his linework) but lacks power due only to the coloring. Its all in cream colors, not black and red etc . If it were colored much more dramatically and at night, say, with Kirby lighting (you know where the center of the face is black due to harsh lights on either side?) THEN hed look like the scary tough guy HEX we all remember.

hey - -at least theres no mention that he's gay this time!! Not that theres anything wrong with that. Marvel made a lot of noise that way!

no mystery about whats in the Reprint ...It starts with issue 2-8, but also includes 10, 11 and all the rest except #15 (was that a reprint? cant recall.

But that is the mystery--there's no Hex in issues #2-8. #15 is the Neal Adams El Diablo cover/story with no Hex. Why include 2-8 but not 15? And why skip 34-38 when it would be better received than non-Hex material?

Anyway, to me the mystery remains. I agree with all your other comments about sticking with Hex and DC Special Series 16 1000%.

Best,

Marc

seems like its an All Star Western Archive, not Jonah Hex exclusively. As I recall, #1 was Toth 50s reprints. Maybe 9 was also, which makes sense since th etitkle went in a new direction with 10. Id have to look but 15 was Hex reprint too.

DC seems to be just following their usual reprint Archive policies here.