• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone bid in the Weiss Auction today

15 posts in this topic

They had a pretty big group of comics, most from an attic find.  I didn't look at prices super close but prices seemed soft, potentially because they were in Voldemort holders?  I won one book for what I thought was a decent price.  Graded as an 8.0 with OW pages.  I will see about getting it regraded by CGC after I can examine it.

spiderman8trimmed.png

Edited by batman_fan

Did not bid, but was following the Charles Schulz original art pages.

Three unpublished pages from the late 1950s went between $4,500 - $7,250. I know they are unpublished works, but seemed like bargains compared to published pieces.

This published piece went for $30,000 (celebrating its 50th birthday soon - Sunday page from May 17th, 1970)

image.thumb.png.1f46cf6272cf86002bd5a9f197b6c5a7.png

2 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Did not bid, but was following the Charles Schulz original art pages.

Three unpublished pages from the late 1950s went between $4,500 - $7,250. I know they are unpublished works, but seemed like bargains compared to published pieces.

This published piece went for $30,000 (celebrating its 50th birthday soon - Sunday page from May 17th, 1970)

I was watching the peanuts one too.  It went a little lower than I thought.  I wasn't a big fan of the content.

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Nice book, one of my favorites. Was there any GA being offered?

There was some GA, mostly lower grade.  Prices seemed low in general but a few groups were pretty strong.  If the books get pressed and graded I suspect someone will make some money off them.  The ungraded Journey into Mystery went pretty strong too.

There were some "dealer lots" of Golden Age.

On individual Gold books, not much noteworthy.

Coverless Wonder Woman #1 went for $1,400

Coverless Sensation #1 went for $1,850 (missing 4 pages of Gay Ghost story and an ad page)

50 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

I was watching the peanuts one too.  It went a little lower than I thought.  I wasn't a big fan of the content

I just hope that last panel of Charlie sitting in the stands alone wasn't a Schulz premonition for real Major League Baseball in 2020/2021! :(

20% Buyer's Premium or 18% with Cash or Check.

I won two items back in 2016.  Most of them are overgraded so I don't bid them aggressively on their inconsistent grading.  Those bidders are pretty aggressive against my bids so I haven't won anything ever since.

I remembered raw copy of Detective Comics #31 in 2018. The cover was completely split and the centerfold was detached. The back cover was torn in half. One small ad was cut out. I would see tiny pieces falling out of the brittle pages in that picture.  It was sold for $19,700 before the buyer's premium.

Also my understanding is that Phil Weiss has a good relationship with Joe Kubert's family.  He sold multiple original arts of their late father.

18 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

20% Buyer's Premium or 18% with Cash or Check.

I won two items back in 2016.  Most of them are overgraded so I don't bid them aggressively on their inconsistent grading.  Those bidders are pretty aggressive against my bids so I haven't won anything ever since.

I remembered raw copy of Detective Comics #31 in 2018. The cover was completely split and the centerfold was detached. The back cover was torn in half. One small ad was cut out. I would see tiny pieces falling out of the brittle pages in that picture.  It was sold for $19,700 before the buyer's premium.

Also my understanding is that Phil Weiss has a good relationship with Joe Kubert's family.  He sold multiple original arts of their late father.

Glad I stuck with buying a graded book.  I wanted the Spiderman 2, 3, and 4 but the stain on the back cover of the Spiderman 2 kept me away.  The 3 and 4 I still kick myself over.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Glad I stuck with buying a graded book.  I wanted the Spiderman 2, 3, and 4 but the stain on the back cover of the Spiderman 2 kept me away.  The 3 and 4 I still kick myself over.

Last four years, I watched and bid them but I never saw a single CGC graded book.  Just wondered why.

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

Last four years, I watched and bid them but I never saw a single CGC graded book.  Just wondered why.

This one had a lot of moldy slabs and a lot more ungraded.  

When you deal with ANY auction house or ANY dealer that has key, raw material along with graded/certified stuff, you have to hm when seeing a key issue not graded.

Unless you are able to examine in-person at a convention or onsite or there is a strong return policy in place, I would say pass because you are most likely going to be disappointed in the any raw grading, especially when it comes to keys.

As far as Phil, money is probably left on the table if not CGC graded, but he is one of the most honest and straight shooters there is in the business!