• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Was Martin A. Bursten? Who Created Timely’s Mercury?

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I was doing some reading today about the character Mercury who 1st appeared in Red Raven #1 (later re-branded as The Hurricane in Cap #1).

Red Raven #1 credits Martin A. Bursten as the writer or artist. Apparently for many years, people wrongly assumed that was a pen-name for Jack Kirby.

Here are links to the info I was reading:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

This brought to mind a few questions:

1. What was Jack Kirby’s involvement in the creation of Mercury?

2. Does the appearance of “Prussland” leader “Rudolph Hendler” in any way count as Hitler’s 1st Timely comics appearance?

[To my knowledge, he 1st appeared on the cover of Cap #1, though not in-story, with his 1st story appearance coming in Cap #2.]

17 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Hi guys,

I was doing some reading today about the character Mercury who 1st appeared in Red Raven #1 (later re-branded as The Hurricane in Cap #1).

Red Raven #1 credits Martin A. Bursten as the writer or artist. Apparently for many years, people wrongly assumed that was a pen-name for Jack Kirby.

Here are links to the info I was reading:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

This brought to mind a few questions:

1. What was Jack Kirby’s involvement in the creation of Mercury?

2. Does the appearance of “Prussland” leader “Rudolph Hendler” in any way count as Hitler’s 1st Timely comics appearance?

[To my knowledge, he 1st appeared on the cover of Cap #1, though not in-story, with his 1st story appearance coming in Cap #2.]

Martin A. Burstein was a screenwriter from Syracuse. He wrote that Mercury story, as well as stories in Cap 1-10.

There's some info here: http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/red_raven_comics_1_mercury.shtml

When Kirby was asked in an interview who is first created character was, he said Mercury. I’m sure Joe Simon helped to steer the young lad since this would be their first Timely together (Red Raven 1, August 1940).