• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesome, Amazing All Star Comics Complete Run-They deserve their own thread!
5 5

225 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #50-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bob Oskner (inks) and the story “The Prophecy of Peril” by John Broome. 

Midwestern University confers honorary degrees on the JSA for contributions to crime detection. Alumnus Jay Garrick (Flash) keeps a date made ten years ago to read prophecies he and seven other graduating students wrote about what they’d be doing a decade later. One of the seven students, Paul Turnbull had predicted he would become “Mr. Alpha” and commit fives crimes based on the sciences he studied. The JSAers rush to cities where they believe Mr. Alpha will strike. When the teams of JSAers are felled, a shadowy figure rescues them. Green Lantern snags their shadowy benefactor-Paul Turnbull!! The JSA then captures Mr. Alpha who it turns out is one of the seven classmates, Ted Kincaid, who lost all of his money in the stock market. 

In a rarity of comics-time and real time correlation, All Star Comics #50 is dated exactly ten years after Flash Comics #1 (January 1940), in which college student Jay Garrick gained speed powers and became The Flash. Beginning in this issue, Wonder Woman trades he flared, high-top boots for high-strapped sandals. There is also a 3 page back-up story in this issue by Frank Frazetta.

My stunning copy of All Star Comics #50 came from Steve Zuvich of New York in 2019. I paid $1,600 for it.

A712525F-A384-4E20-AA8E-96BAE840D98E.jpeg

Stunner indeed! Wow!

Only 7 more to go  ....

On 6/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #29-Cover by Martin Naydel and the story “The Man Who Knows Too Much” by Gardner Fox. The source of this issue’s title is obviously Alfred Hitchcock’s 1934 film-The Man Who Knew Too Much!

The members in this issue are Hawkman, Atom, Flash, Green Lantern, Dr. Mid-Nite, and Johnny Thunder. Even though Wonder Woman was an honorary member who was the secretary, this was one of the few issues where she neither appeared on the cover or in the story at all. 

In this story, Johnny Thunder takes pity on a hungry derelict, who turns out to be Landor, a 25th century “throwback” who craved adventure in an era when everything was peaceful. Having seen the JSA in films, Landor journeyed back to 1946. Landor challenges the JSA to match “wits and fists” against his future science. Landor can turn common 20th century implements into deadly weapons. Eventually, Johnny Thunderbolt brings him to the JSA headquarters where the heroes overwhelm him. With a lot of effort, Green Lantern uses his ring to send him back to 2446. Upon his return, Landor is a changed man. He even hires a guy to press the button that brings him dinner!!!

As I wrote about in my coverage of All Star Comics #28, I won issues #13, #28, and #29 in one swoop in a Comic Link auction in 2018. Once I received them, I was very disappointed in the #29 due to that piece of the cover missing on the lower bottom right. I didn’t notice it at the time I bid on it and was tempted to send it back but I didn’t think Comic Link would take it back. I don’t want to start anything or throw out any wild conspiracies or accusations, but it was at this point in my comic collecting that I began to wonder if somehow some of the big auction houses get preferential treatment and books that should be graded lower actually received higher grades. I’ve always been told that the graders received books blindly and have no idea where they came from or who owned them. But after I got this book, I began to wonder if it was true.

6320EA9C-DFBC-49A6-8BBB-33A9A9FE0AA6.jpeg

@sagii I have now replaced my All Star Comics #29 6.0 with an 8.0 with white pages!:banana:

CA2F8D08-2B0F-4AE0-834F-1CD024459B97.jpeg

All Star Comics #51- Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) with the story “Invaders from the World Below!” by John Broome. 

The Army expected upheavals when its Operation Volcano sank a 50-mile pipeline to tap energy under Earth’s crust, but nothing as violent as what occurred. Yet Charles Crillon predicted everything accurately and claims a subterranean race caused the disasters. After Crillon is kidnapped at a lecture, the JSA finds his notebook, which predicts where a race made of diamond will strike. The heroes barely survive the encounters. Crillon finds the JSA but he has been turned onto a Diamond Man by their leader, Exnam. Learning that the Diamond Men are sensitive to sound, the JSA use huge bells to shatter them. A treatment soon restores Crillon back to normal. 

A footnote to a new volcano which sprang up in Mexico two years earlier in 1947, suggests it might be the inspiration for this story. 

My All Star Comics #51 ,a white paged beauty, was acquired through the Heritage make offer to the owner program. I think I paid $1,450 including tax for it in 2019.

7D9FD5DF-953E-4257-B8B8-6C3E6155FDE6.jpeg

All Star Comics #52-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) with the story “The Secret Conquest of the Earth” by John Broome. 

Professor Matthews summons the JSA to Africa, where he and the JSA find in suspended animation, the Four Kings of a super-race that lived 100,000 years ago. The evil Kings are revived and use their powers to put the JSA and Matthews to sleep. Upon awakening, the JSA and Matthews learn that they’ve been asleep for a year during which time four leaders of pro-war parties on four continents have brought the Earth to the brink of World War III. The Four Kings are defeated by four teams of JSAers: Hawkman and Wonder Woman vs. Senor Prince, Flash and Black Canary vs. Mr. Monarch, Dr. Mid-Nite and Atom vs. The Masked One, and Green Lantern vs. Mr. Crown. The defeated Kings teleport themselves to a secluded African valley and aim atomic missiles at several nations, to goad them into going to war with each other. Green Lantern mesmerizes the other JSAers to protect them from the Kings’ mind-blasts, and the heroes triumph. The Kings set off an atomic blast, which kills only themselves. 

By this time in 1950, six of the JSAers don’t appear in any titles besides All Star (Hawkman, Flash, Black Canary, Dr. Mid-Nite, Atom and Green Lantern) so it’s a bit more believable for them to missing for a full year. But of course, there is no attempt to reconcile this with events in Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics.  

My copy of All Star Comics #52 is a gorgeous 8.5 and is the only Pedigree book in my collection of All Star Comics being a Davis Crippen (“D” Copy). It was purchased from Steve Zuvichof Bayside, New York in early 2019 for $1,600. I sent it in twice for a new holder. First to put it into a current generation holder and then when the Pedigree labels came out, I sent it back a second time.

D0F8F438-AD1D-4503-9768-B71472A7EFF7.jpeg

6 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #52-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) with the story “The Secret Conquest of the Earth” by John Broome. 

Professor Matthews summons the JSA to Africa, where he and the JSA find in suspended animation, the Four Kings of a super-race that lived 100,000 years ago. The evil Kings are revived and use their powers to put the JSA and Matthews to sleep. Upon awakening, the JSA and Matthews learn that they’ve been asleep for a year during which time four leaders of pro-war parties on four continents have brought the Earth to the brink of World War III. The Four Kings are defeated by four teams of JSAers: Hawkman and Wonder Woman vs. Senor Prince, Flash and Black Canary vs. Mr. Monarch, Dr. Mid-Nite and Atom vs. The Masked One, and Green Lantern vs. Mr. Crown. The defeated Kings teleport themselves to a secluded African valley and aim atomic missiles at several nations, to goad them into going to war with each other. Green Lantern mesmerizes the other JSAers to protect them from the Kings’ mind-blasts, and the heroes triumph. The Kings set off an atomic blast, which kills only themselves. 

By this time in 1950, six of the JSAers don’t appear in any titles besides All Star (Hawkman, Flash, Black Canary, Dr. Mid-Nite, Atom and Green Lantern) so it’s a bit more believable for them to missing for a full year. But of course, there is no attempt to reconcile this with events in Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics.  

My copy of All Star Comics #52 is a gorgeous 8.5 and is the only Pedigree book in my collection of All Star Comics being a Davis Crippen (“D” Copy). It was purchased from Steve Zuvichof Bayside, New York in early 2019 for $1,600. I sent it in twice for a new holder. First to put it into a current generation holder and then when the Pedigree labels came out, I sent it back a second time.

D0F8F438-AD1D-4503-9768-B71472A7EFF7.jpeg

Can't overstate the appreciation for your knowledge on the status' of each character throughout the DC publishing lineup during this titles run :headbang:

Nice Church copy! The new labels really make pedigree copies pop! 

All Star Comics #53-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) with the story “The Gun That Dropped Through Time” by John Broome. 

When Alvin Swanley is shot dead at an inventors’ show, Ted Weldon is convicted of his murder. Weldon testifies he saw Swanley talking to a man holding an ivory-handled pistol, but a search turns up no gun. The JSA learn of Swanley’s theory of time ledges (see photo). Realizing his mysterious invention is a “time chute”, JSA teams pursue the murder weapon as it pauses briefly on time ledges in 1372 A.D. (the era of Tamurlane-Flash and Black Canary), 451 A.D. (Attila-Dr. Mid-Nite and Wonder Woman), 71 B.C. (Spartacus’ rebellion against Rome-Hawkmanand Atom), and 9638 B.C. (a super-scientific Atlantis-Green Lantern). Green Lantern stops the gun from slipping off the final time ledge into eternity. The JSA gain Ted’s freedom and learn that Swanley’s “friend” Eric Pomar shot Swanley the inventor and tossed the pistol into the time chute. 

This is by two pages-the shortest JSA story in any Golden Age issue of All Star Comics. The villain’s first name is spelled both “Erik” and “Eric” over the course of the story. This issue contains the first reference to the JSAers as “the All-Stars”. 

I can’t remember when or where I purchased my copy of All Star Comics #53. It’s a really nice looking 5.0 and it has white pages.

60014379-62D9-4C6F-90C0-75DB38EDEC2F.jpeg

EF81C5DE-6CCB-4E37-BB5D-14DD3FC58005.jpeg

On 7/25/2020 at 9:05 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

@sagii I have now replaced my All Star Comics #29 6.0 with an 8.0 with white pages!:banana:

CA2F8D08-2B0F-4AE0-834F-1CD024459B97.jpeg

1576585677_as6.0.thumb.jpeg.1a6ced271f281691ec278efca4565f15.jpeg

OK I only own two All Stars and this is one of them and it happens to be CGC'd. Bought from Gator off the boards a few years back when he listed a great run of these. Prices were soft at the time and it was about $600-700 as I recall. I thought it was an unusual issue but now here are three in one place!!

797276606_AllStar29.thumb.jpg.8af111844d28e26ef4b0bef749d54717.jpg

2 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

1576585677_as6.0.thumb.jpeg.1a6ced271f281691ec278efca4565f15.jpeg

OK I only own two All Stars and this is one of them and it happens to be CGC'd. Bought from Gator off the boards a few years back when he listed a great run of these. Prices were soft at the time and it was about $600-700 as I recall. I thought it was an unusual issue but now here are three in one place!!

797276606_AllStar29.thumb.jpg.8af111844d28e26ef4b0bef749d54717.jpg

My opinion only but you must get it put into a new holder!!! It will present so much better!! I can’t stand the first generation holders!!!

1 hour ago, Ghastly542454 said:

My opinion only but you must get it put into a new holder!!! It will present so much better!! I can’t stand the first generation holders!!!

Yours certainly look nicer. I'll pull out a new label book and compare. Don't think I've done that actually as I don't have many new labelled books.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

All Star Comics #54-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) and the story “Circus of a Thousand Thrills” by John Broome.

The JSA discover the path of a recent crime wave matches the travel schedule of The Circus of 1,000 Thrills but all of the crimes were committed at 9:00 PM while the performers were doing their acts. From Mr. Mechanico, who has a compulsion to answer a question, the heroes learn what crimes will be committed in Civic City that night. Teams of JSA members foil the robberies and capture the Circus’ tightwire artist, lion tamer, motorcyclist, giant, and Mr. Mechanico only to later see each of them performing in the Circus’ three rings!!! The JSAers then learn that the Circus is composed of twins, one of whom has served as the perfect alibi for the other until now. 

This issue marks the first JSA work by Frank Giacoia who pencils and inks the first chapter and in later years will work primarily as an inker. 

I can’t seem to recall when, where, or how much I paid for my All Star Comics #54. But I am certain it is a gorgeous book and I’m quite fond of the cover which brings back the fun of my childhood.

F63F0E11-999C-4F06-8AE6-873310A47619.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #54-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) and the story “Circus of a Thousand Thrills” by John Broome.

The JSA discover the path of a recent crime wave matches the travel schedule of The Circus of 1,000 Thrills but all of the crimes were committed at 9:00 PM while the performers were doing their acts. From Mr. Mechanico, who has a compulsion to answer a question, the heroes learn what crimes will be committed in Civic City that night. Teams of JSA members foil the robberies and capture the Circus’ tightwire artist, lion tamer, motorcyclist, giant, and Mr. Mechanico only to later see each of them performing in the Circus’ three rings!!! The JSAers then learn that the Circus is composed of twins, one of whom has served as the perfect alibi for the other until now. 

This issue marks the first JSA work by Frank Giacoia who pencils and inks the first chapter and in later years will work primarily as an inker. 

I can’t seem to recall when, where, or how much I paid for my All Star Comics #54. But I am certain it is a gorgeous book and I’m quite fond of the cover which brings back the fun of my childhood.

F63F0E11-999C-4F06-8AE6-873310A47619.jpeg

Wonderful cover on this book!

All Star Comics #55-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) and the story “The Man Who Conquered the Solar System by John Broome. 

A message from Professor Elwood Napier tells the JSA that he used equations sent to him from space to design a motor which uses a planet’s gravity to pull an object to it. But a mysterious “they” have kidnapped Napier to their world. The heroes build a gravity motor, which takes them to Jupiter which has been conquered by Bakeelu’s “people of the Green Star” (insectoids with green heads). The Green Heads plan to enslave the solar system with the aid of a helmeted human, The Conqueror. On Mars, Bakeelu is building a ray weapon to split the Earth in half. When the JSAers put on Conqueror style helmets, they become mesmerized but Green Lantern is able to free them. When Bakeelu fires his ray weapon, he destroys his own home world due to re-targeting he weapon by Miko, a Jupiterian. The JSA end up learning that The Conqueror is Napier under the spell of his own alien helmet. 

My copy of All Star Comics #55 was won in the same Comic Connect auction that I won All Star Comics #44 in 2018. Both books originally came from the collection of @BarristerBaker.

8B091617-92B9-4168-ADD7-727393EACFC0.jpeg

All Star Comics #56-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) and the story “The Day The World Ended” by John Broome.

The 31st century is plagued by crime-addicted green alien imps called Chameleons, who can impersonate any human for 24 hours. Professor Ellery via “time bus” to 1950 to enlist the JSA’s help. The JSAers wind up in the future-not realizing Ellery has been replaced by Knelo, the chief Chameleon!! In teams they battle the imps impersonating three prominent men, but Chameleons make off with the new triple Z Bomb and Skyblaster rocket. Knelo gives the JSA an ultimatum-Surrender, or the Bomb will destroy Earth while the Chameleons escape in the rocket. The heroes infiltrate the imp’s stronghold, neutralize the Bomb, and send the aliens off into deep space. 

When the JSA first arrive in the future and seconds before they encounter the Chameleons, they stand amid future work-robots, in a Peddy and Sachs riff on the oft-reproduced scene by renowned sf-pulp artist Charles Scheeman from the December 1942 issue of Astounding Science Fiction (photo attached). The same imagery was used in the Fleischer Superman cartoon “Mechanical Monsters”. 

My copy of All Star Comics #56 is another issue that I just can’t seem to remember where or when I purchased it  and how much I paid for it.

02322595-3A32-4890-B0DE-E644279E6151.jpeg

6C8FCD60-E542-4604-B259-4218EB363684.jpeg

All Star Comics #57-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) and the story “The Mystery of The Vanishing Detectives!” by John Broome. 

In this final issue of All Star Comics from the Golden Age, four famous detectives from different nations demonstrate their techniques at an event hosted by the JSA. During a crime dramatization, all four vanish and a silver key is left in their place. Cablegrams arrive urging each detective to rush to his homeland to solve a fantastic crime at whose scene a silver key was found. Four JSAer’s fill in for them successfully abroad-Dr. Mid-Nite (London), Flash (Paris), Wonder Woman (Istanbul), Green Lantern (luxury cruise liner), and Hawkman, Atom, and Black Canary (remain at their headquarters). Later in a mansion near Civic City, the JSA find the kidnapped detectives, hypnotized. Dr. Mid-Nite says there has to be someone else in this house! Suddenly on one wall an incredible image appears. Wonder Woman thinks it’s Inspector Dawes but he removes his mask and reveals himself to be The Key a man of pure evil. The Key then flees and leaps to his doom rather than surrender. Later, the four grateful detectives send the JSA an autographed silver key. 

For the first time since #38, the middle chapters of a JSA story are solo adventures rather than teams. But even when they are solo, the heroes have to be transported by Green Lantern except for Wonder Woman who enjoys using her invisible plane for the first time since 1942. 

Whether this story was titled as it was by coincidence, or whether the creative team were aware that the JSA “detectives” would be “vanishing” after All Star #57 is unknown- a mystery. 

My All Star Comics #57 was purchased raw in early 2019 from a local collector for $500. I submitted it to CGC and it came back a 5.5. All Star Comics would return 25 years later when the title was revived under Roy Thomas and the numbering would start where it left off with #58.

Well this is it for All Star Comics of the Golden Age. I had really hoped I would have gotten a much larger audience but apparently collectors are now more interested in PCH, GGA, and other titles. At least I’m grateful to two of you who have consistently followed me- @sagiiand @50YrsCollctngCmcs. Thank you and I hope you enjoyed it. 

49FB6F5C-CB88-480B-B68E-7ACFFA204DCA.jpeg

Edited by Ghastly542454

3 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #56-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) and the story “The Day The World Ended” by John Broome.

The 31st century is plagued by crime-addicted green alien imps called Chameleons, who can impersonate any human for 24 hours. Professor Ellery via “time bus” to 1950 to enlist the JSA’s help. The JSAers wind up in the future-not realizing Ellery has been replaced by Knelo, the chief Chameleon!! In teams they battle the imps impersonating three prominent men, but Chameleons make off with the new triple Z Bomb and Skyblaster rocket. Knelo gives the JSA an ultimatum-Surrender, or the Bomb will destroy Earth while the Chameleons escape in the rocket. The heroes infiltrate the imp’s stronghold, neutralize the Bomb, and send the aliens off into deep space. 

When the JSA first arrive in the future and seconds before they encounter the Chameleons, they stand amid future work-robots, in a Peddy and Sachs riff on the oft-reproduced scene by renowned sf-pulp artist Charles Scheeman from the December 1942 issue of Astounding Science Fiction (photo attached). The same imagery was used in the Fleischer Superman cartoon “Mechanical Monsters”. 

My copy of All Star Comics #56 is another issue that I just can’t seem to remember where or when I purchased it  and how much I paid for it.

6C8FCD60-E542-4604-B259-4218EB363684.jpeg

This interior page really shows how the DC house style had progressed so much in the years since Superman debuted. Very clean artwork and lettering; this could almost be a silver age book!!

23 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #57-Cover by Arthur Peddy (pencils) and Bernard Sachs (inks) and the story “The Mystery of The Vanishing Detectives!” by John Broome. 

In this final issue of All Star Comics from the Golden Age, four famous detectives from different nations demonstrate their techniques at an event hosted by the JSA. During a crime dramatization, all four vanish and a silver key is left in their place. Cablegrams arrive urging each detective to rush to his homeland to solve a fantastic crime at whose scene a silver key was found. Four JSAer’s fill in for them successfully abroad-Dr. Mid-Nite (London), Flash (Paris), Wonder Woman (Istanbul), Green Lantern (luxury cruise liner), and Hawkman, Atom, and Black Canary (remain at their headquarters). Later in a mansion near Civic City, the JSA find the kidnapped detectives, hypnotized. Dr. Mid-Nite says there has to be someone else in this house! Suddenly on one wall an incredible image appears. Wonder Woman thinks it’s Inspector Dawes but he removes his mask and reveals himself to be The Key a man of pure evil. The Key then flees and leaps to his doom rather than surrender. Later, the four grateful detectives send the JSA an autographed silver key. 

For the first time since #38, the middle chapters of a JSA story are solo adventures rather than teams. But even when they are solo, the heroes have to be transported by Green Lantern except for Wonder Woman who enjoys using her invisible plane for the first time since 1942. 

Whether this story was titled as it was by coincidence, or whether the creative team were aware that the JSA “detectives” would be “vanishing” after All Star #57 is unknown- a mystery. 

My All Star Comics #57 was purchased raw in early 2019 from a local collector for $500. I submitted it to CGC and it came back a 5.5. All Star Comics would return 25 years later when the title was revived under Roy Thomas and the numbering would start where it left off with #58.

Well this is it for All Star Comics of the Golden Age. I had really hoped I would have gotten a much larger audience but apparently collectors are now more interested in PCH, GGA, and other titles. At least I’m grateful to two of you who have consistently followed me- @sagiiand @50YrsCollctngCmcs. Thank you and I hope you enjoyed it. 

Thanks for the shout out and the effort put into putting this together! I always found it fun to check in each day at lunch as I work from home for a quick update on all things All Star! It was only about ten years later when the Flash would be back in the revived Flash comics and then the JSA in JLA shortly after that. Then as you point out they revived the title itself in the middle seventies! That was a thrill for me and I bought multiple copies off the stand.

Congratulations on pushing through to the end!!

30 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

This issue has always been a stand out to me as the final issue of the run, and the ironic cover blurb of the 'Vanishing Detectives'.

This was an amazing thrill ride, made all the more relatable as a collector as each post not only got a story synopsis,  and insider creator and editorial info, but the thrill of the hunt on certain books as you detailed how you acquired it. 

A labor of love to put together for you I'm sure, and a testimony to the staying power of DC Comics super heroes. 

Enjoyed each and every post, and thank you for doing it: This kind of dedication, and sharing of your experience is what a place like the CGC Boards should be about!  A  'resource thread's for sure.

Hats off to you Sir! :golfclap: :golfclap:

38 minutes ago, sagii said:

This issue has always been a stand out to me as the final issue of the run, and the ironic cover blurb of the 'Vanishing Detectives'.

This was an amazing thrill ride, made all the more relatable as a collector as each post not only got a story synopsis,  and insider creator and editorial info, but the thrill of the hunt on certain books as you detailed how you acquired it. 

A labor of love to put together for you I'm sure, and a testimony to the staying power of DC Comics super heroes. 

Enjoyed each and every post, and thank you for doing it: This kind of dedication, and sharing of your experience is what a place like the CGC Boards should be about!  A  'resource thread's for sure.

Hats off to you Sir! :golfclap: :golfclap:

Thank you my friend!! I really appreciate your kind words!!!(worship)(thumbsu

I had also planned to do Leading Comics #1-#14 The Seven Soldiers of Victory but I don’t think collectors would appreciate it. But CGC themselves did!!

967A30CC-691E-41FD-9199-FB287EFEEA6D.jpeg

Edited by Ghastly542454