• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesome, Amazing All Star Comics Complete Run-They deserve their own thread!
5 5

225 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #32-Cover by Martin Naydel and the story “The Return of the Psycho Pirate” by Gardner Fox. 

E340E638-2B8C-41F5-9DEE-3AD1B85484D4.jpeg

Great copy! One of the stand out covers!

Always loved the stories that featured the Psycho Pirate in Bronze and copper ages growing up.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #33-Beginning with  All Star Comics #33 and the iconic cover by Irwin Hasen and perhaps Gardner Fox’s best story in the title “The Revenge of Solomon Grundy”, it would herald a renaissance in the fortunes of the Justice Society that would lead to arguably the best year and a half in the group’s ten-year Golden Age history. 

Issue #33 and #34 would be Gardner Fox’s last two stories and two of his best and also usher in other important changes. With issue #33. Irwin Hasen fresh out of the armed services, would become the artist for all of the covers until the end of the run with issue #57. In issue #39, he will be the artist for the entire issue. Issue #33 will feature Johnny Thunder’s last solo spot in the title with a move that will herald a more serious, less whimsical attitude toward the stories. With issue #34, Lee Elias will begin drawing the Flash and few issues later, Shelly Mayer will bring in newcomers Alex Toth and Carmine Infantino further improving the artistic situation. 

With Issue #35, between John Broome and Robert Kanigher they will --script seven imaginative stories along with Fox’s inspired two-issue swan song will rank with the very best that ever appeared in All Star Comics before or after. Even Superman and Batman will guest star in issue #36 although strangely for only one issue and soon Black Canary will join the group. 

All Star Comics #33-#41 are considered the all-time high point of the magazine. 

Lightning frees Solomon Grundy from an energy sphere where Green Lantern had placed him, and he stalks off to find Green Lantern and kill him. Soon, believing that Green Lantern is dead, Hawkman, Dr. Mid-Nite, Johnny Thunder, Flash, and Atom begin searching various towns where the monster has been seen. Each hero encounters him except Johnny Thunder who takes on a fake Grundy. The monster eventually finds Green Lantern and is strangling him when the other JSAers arrive and gang up on him. Green Lantern then uses his ring to exile Grundy to another world. 

For the first time, Wonder Woman is not listed as “Secretary” and although she plays no part in the final battle, but joins the other JSAers some time later. Dr. Mid-Nite is devastated when he believes Green Lantern to be dead. This is the first All Star Comics since #7 in which Green Lantern’s cab-driving pal Doiby Dickles appears. 

My All Star Comics #33 was one of the first All Stars I bought back in 2008 when I seriously decided to collect All Star Comics. I bought it from Comic Link for $700. I wouldn’t mind upgrading my copy someday. However, when I have seen it listed for sale, it is either at or below my 4.5 or an 8.0-8.5 which are quite expensive.  

I have always been very fond of Solomon Grundy and last year when an opportunity presented itself, I purchased a beautiful copy of All-American Comics #61 that is a 5.0. I had to take some money out of my 401K at the time but I don’t regret it for a minute!!!

AACAC420-2CD9-4A56-9539-FB251488529C.jpeg

FAE01445-8D84-49D3-9A58-D50624BDD379.jpeg

Wow now that's a pair!! Good to hear that Gardner Fox finally found some inspiration at the end of his run on the title. I wonder how long it took him to pump out a story and how much he was paid?

On 5/13/2020 at 10:34 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #9-In this issue the FBI Chief asks the Justice Society to go to Latin America to fight German spies since the US can’t act there officially. The members end up smashing Axis plots in 8 Latin American countries. As a result, there is a dance in the JSA’s honor at the Panama Canal and the JSA’er’s girlfriends are flown in for the celebration.

This was the first issue but certainly not the last, of All Star Comics that I had some difficulty finding. There was a #9 on eBay in 2017 that was a 7.0 but it was Conserved. In fact, three years later it’s still on eBay!!! I ended up winning a 4.5 Universal in a Comic Link auction. Once I received it, it was worse looking than I expected and I didn’t want to keep it. A few months later, I found a raw #9 at Collectors Comics in San Diego that I paid $500 for. It certainly looked better than the 4.5 I had and so I sent it in to CGC to be graded hoping it would come back a higher grade. It ended up getting a 5.0 (the grader’s notes said the cover was detached at the top staple). It’s the book I currently have. I ended up selling the 4.5 at a loss.

992121E4-8564-4F97-B029-7284FD91465E.jpeg

One of the best covers of the run and so American:luhv:

16 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow thanks! I didn't know that existing. I love reading biographies of these guys. I will be picking that up for sure. Thanks for passing on!

He had quite a mind to come up with so many stories he was a treasure to the comic fan

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow thanks! I didn't know that existing. I love reading biographies of these guys. I will be picking that up for sure. Thanks for passing on!

When I looked up the book on Amazon I also noticed that they have just published a Famous First Edition reprint of New Comics #1. That looks fascinating too.

All Star Comics #34-Cover by Irwin Hasen and the story titled “The Wiles of The Wizard” would be the last story in the title by JSA co-creator Gardner Fox. 

While discussing a new criminal called The Wizard, the JSA plan to turn down a $1,000,000 award from “philanthropist” W.I. Zard for their good work. Confronting them, The Wizard says he believes they’re only pretending to be honest and he wants in on whatever big crime they are planning!!! When they deny his charges, he challenges them to thwart five crimes. They accept his challenge even though he intervenes in all of the solo chapters. When the JSA reassembles, they defeat his “magic”. The Wizard then seems to leap to his own doom. This is the first time that Johnny Thunder does not have a solo chapter and he is really pissed about it!! The Wizard will reappear in issues #37 and #41 leading two different Injustice Societies. 

I purchased my copy of All Star Comics #34 from Steve Zuvich(Midnite21) from eBay in 2018 for I believe $600 or $650.

0F474043-6BC6-4EDA-AB55-BF72AC3EC2D1.jpeg

12 minutes ago, dm3 said:

@Ghastly542454

I’m sure you saw this at comic connect.

All Star #8 9.4 up for auction 

this should be a good one.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/884783?tzf=1

D21ED907-191E-4E66-BCC0-32B8BC233A73.jpeg

@dm3I actually saw this book in person a couple of years ago at Wondercon in Anaheim. The sellers from New Mexico were asking $1.2 million for it.

3 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

@dm3I actually saw this book in person a couple of years ago at Wondercon in Anaheim. The sellers from New Mexico were asking $1.2 million for it.

Yes, my friend @BustedFlush and I stopped and looked at that book too. Not that we could afford it but what a book!!

All Star Comics #35-Cover by Irwin Hasen and the story “The Day That Dropped Out of Time” by John Broome a young comics and science-fiction writer whom story editor Julius Schwartz had encouraged at DC after he came out of the army.

The JSA find a shield inscribed to them in ancient Macedonian but can’t recall how they got it. Wonder Woman’s Magic Sphere tells them: When modern inventions vanish all over the world, Prof. Zee ( the call him their “friend” but he has never appeared before this issue) reveals that his lab assistant Per Degaton stole his time machine so he can conquer the world by altering the past. The change is finally undone when the JSAers travel back in time with the help of Green Lantern’s ring and help the Greeks defeat the Persians as well as Per Degaton’s modern army whose troops wear uniforms reminiscent of Nazi SS. Alexander the Great carves his thanks of a shield which the JSA forget until enlightened by the Magic Sphere. With his memory of conquests faded, Per Degaton resumes his life as Prof. Zee’s assistant. 

This is the first time since issue #8 that the time scanning Magic Sphere which is the property of Wonder Woman’s mother Hippolyte is seen in All Star Comics and is its first but not last use in a JSA story. From issue #39, John Broome will write the remainder of the All Star stories until the end with issue #57.

My copy of All Star Comics #35 was won off of eBay in 2018 from the seller Blissard (Alex Anderson the some of the famous dentist) and was raw when I bought it. It was listed as very fine and when I sent it in for grading, it indeed came back with a very fine grade of 8.0. I paid $855 for it.

ABC17500-64C4-46EE-AB9D-1B6CD5FF53C9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #35-Cover by Irwin Hasen and the story “The Day That Dropped Out of Time” by John Broome a young comics and science-fiction writer whom story editor Julius Schwartz had encouraged at DC after he came out of the army.

The JSA find a shield inscribed to them in ancient Macedonian but can’t recall how they got it. Wonder Woman’s Magic Sphere tells them: When modern inventions vanish all over the world, Prof. Zee ( the call him their “friend” but he has never appeared before this issue) reveals that his lab assistant Per Degaton stole his time machine so he can conquer the world by altering the past. The change is finally undone when the JSAers travel back in time with the help of Green Lantern’s ring and help the Greeks defeat the Persians as well as Per Degaton’s modern army whose troops wear uniforms reminiscent of Nazi SS. Alexander the Great carves his thanks of a shield which the JSA forget until enlightened by the Magic Sphere. With his memory of conquests faded, Per Degaton resumes his life as Prof. Zee’s assistant. 

This is the first time since issue #8 that the time scanning Magic Sphere which is the property of Wonder Woman’s mother Hippolyte is seen in All Star Comics and is its first but not last use in a JSA story. From issue #39, John Broome will write the remainder of the All Star stories until the end with issue #57.

My copy of All Star Comics #35 was won off of eBay in 2018 from the seller Blissard (Alex Anderson the some of the famous dentist) and was raw when I bought it. It was listed as very fine and when I sent it in for grading, it indeed came back with a very fine grade of 8.0. I paid $855 for it.

ABC17500-64C4-46EE-AB9D-1B6CD5FF53C9.jpeg

That is one of two All Star issues that I own and is a great story; now I know why as I didn't realize it was John Broome who wrote it! My copy was picked up at a San Diego Comic Con for about $200 but is probably about a 5.0-6.0 but it is not slabbed. It's a good candidate for a re-read!

On 6/9/2020 at 2:19 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #33-Beginning with  All Star Comics #33 and the iconic cover by Irwin Hasen and perhaps Gardner Fox’s best story in the title “The Revenge of Solomon Grundy”, it would herald a renaissance in the fortunes of the Justice Society that would lead to arguably the best year and a half in the group’s ten-year Golden Age history. 

Issue #33 and #34 would be Gardner Fox’s last two stories and two of his best and also usher in other important changes. With issue #33. Irwin Hasen fresh out of the armed services, would become the artist for all of the covers until the end of the run with issue #57. In issue #39, he will be the artist for the entire issue. Issue #33 will feature Johnny Thunder’s last solo spot in the title with a move that will herald a more serious, less whimsical attitude toward the stories. With issue #34, Lee Elias will begin drawing the Flash and few issues later, Shelly Mayer will bring in newcomers Alex Toth and Carmine Infantino further improving the artistic situation. 

With Issue #35, between John Broome and Robert Kanigher they will ---script seven imaginative stories along with Fox’s inspired two-issue swan song will rank with the very best that ever appeared in All Star Comics before or after. Even Superman and Batman will guest star in issue #36 although strangely for only one issue and soon Black Canary will join the group. 

All Star Comics #33-#41 are considered the all-time high point of the magazine. 

Lightning frees Solomon Grundy from an energy sphere where Green Lantern had placed him, and he stalks off to find Green Lantern and kill him. Soon, believing that Green Lantern is dead, Hawkman, Dr. Mid-Nite, Johnny Thunder, Flash, and Atom begin searching various towns where the monster has been seen. Each hero encounters him except Johnny Thunder who takes on a fake Grundy. The monster eventually finds Green Lantern and is strangling him when the other JSAers arrive and gang up on him. Green Lantern then uses his ring to exile Grundy to another world. 

For the first time, Wonder Woman is not listed as “Secretary” and although she plays no part in the final battle, but joins the other JSAers some time later. Dr. Mid-Nite is devastated when he believes Green Lantern to be dead. This is the first All Star Comics since #7 in which Green Lantern’s cab-driving pal Doiby Dickles appears. This would be the first issue in which a villain from a JSAer’s solo series takes on the whole JSA. Green Lantern and Grundy had previously clashed in All-American Comics #61 (October 1944) and Comic Cavalcade #13 (Winter 1945).

My All Star Comics #33 was one of the first All Stars I bought back in 2008 when I seriously decided to collect All Star Comics. I bought it from Comic Link for $700. I wouldn’t mind upgrading my copy someday. However, when I have seen it listed for sale, it is either at or below my 4.5 or an 8.0-8.5 which are quite expensive.  

I have always been very fond of Solomon Grundy and last year when an opportunity presented itself, I purchased a beautiful copy of All-American Comics #61 that is a 5.0. I had to take some money out of my 401K at the time but I don’t regret it for a minute!!!

AACAC420-2CD9-4A56-9539-FB251488529C.jpeg

FAE01445-8D84-49D3-9A58-D50624BDD379.jpeg

These two Grundy covers are two of my favorite GA covers, period. I look forward to owning them both, but I don't look forward to eventually paying for them...

All Star Comics #36-Cover is credited to Winslow Mortimer by CGC although Irwin Hasen is sometimes also credited with it and a story titled “5 Drowned Men”. CGC lists the story was written by Gardner Fox and Robert Kanigher but others suggest it is undetermined. 

Calvin Stymes tells five friends that Koehaha, the Stream of Ruthlessness, runs once every 100 years: anyone drowned in it comes back to life totally ruthless. That night, Koehaha drowns all but Stymes. Later, at a JSA meeting, Superman takes the place of Johnny Thunder who has a cold and Batman replaces Atom who is ironically injured in a basketball game! The JSA learn that five respectable men have drowned, then come back to life -as criminals. The JSA find them and capture them. Green Lantern learns that they were frat brothers of Stymes who vowed revenge for a college prank. The “drowned men” are drawn back to Koehaha by an urge to drink the water again. The JSA rescue them and Stymes dies trying to dynamite them. 

Though the regular JSAer all know each other’s civilian identities, Superman and Batman will keep theirs secret even from each other until Superman #76 (May-June 1952). This would be the second and final time that Superman and Batman would appear in a 1940’s JSA story. Beginning with this issue, no roll call will refer to Wonder Woman as “secretary” or Hawkman as “chairman”. This would be the first time that DC’s Big Three all appear together on a cover. 

All Star Comics #36 is a favorite of mine in the series because of the cover. It actually took me several years to find one. And then one that I liked. My first copy was purchased from eBay in 2016 from Gary Dolghoff for $850. It was a CGC 4.5 and I was never really happy with it. A couple of years later, @nearmint listed a beautiful 6.0 on the Board. I stupidly thought about it for a few minutes and it was purchased by another Boardie. He who snoozes, loses!!!  It was later that year that @Qua-Brot listed a nice 5.5 that I now own on the Board and this time I didn’t make the mistake of thinking about it!!!

I’m also showing Superman #76 from my collection where Superman and Batman learn each other’s secret identities for the first time.

5AFCEFD4-05DB-46A7-886D-2D74136960EA.jpeg

D934C24A-3C70-45AC-ACFF-2CBFC5722D2E.jpeg

Edited by Ghastly542454