• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questioning a CGC Grade: Am I dwelling over nothing?

11 posts in this topic

I got a CGC slab from eBay, graded 9.8. Looked excellent in the photos. Looks excellent in person. After close inspection though in person, I noted a small stray ink blob on the edge of the cover. It’s appears to be a manufacturing “defect” from what I can tell. 

So the question: Does a random ink blob(?) disqualify it from a 9.8?

I think the answer is that the some aspects of grading are subjective and one could argue around and around all day. For those that say “are you happy with it?”, the answer is yes, assuming this isn’t some egregious over sight by CGC.

I’m still learning the whole “how to grade for yourself” concept so I’m looking for some advice. 

I like that little ink blob.  Think of it as a beauty mark.

It's a printing defect.  Negligible manufacturing defects are allowed for 9.8.

In fact, according to CGC, even a 9.9 can have "a very minor manufacturing defect."

You are all awesome. lol

Really appreciate all of your help. You all have been really great, helping me with newb questions.  

Is there a site you all recommend going to to help learn and grade comics myself? Ie. This is the criteria for a 9.8, this is the criteria for a 9.6, etc. 

18 minutes ago, Chapter2099 said:

You are all awesome. lol

Really appreciate all of your help. You all have been really great, helping me with newb questions.  

Is there a site you all recommend going to to help learn and grade comics myself? Ie. This is the criteria for a 9.8, this is the criteria for a 9.6, etc. 

go on Ebay and find a used copy of the Overstreet Grading guide (or just buy a shiny new one)

CGC doesn't publish their grading standards as to diffs between each individual grade but the O/S guide is a very good resource to educate yourself about grading

1 hour ago, Chapter2099 said:

You are all awesome. lol

Get the latest Overstreet grading guide that has CGC graded books on the front cover. Link to Overstreet Grading Guide 2016., I think? While I do not think CGC has officially said they go by that guide it is at least blessed by them since they allow Overstreet to use their graded comics as examples.

Edited by Badger