• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting comics in appropriate tiers
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I am submitting a bunch of older comics to CGC.
Thus far I have only submitted Modern.
So I have a few questions

What if I submit a comic under Value when it turns out to be Economy ?
Will CGC ship the tiers back to me separately (so basically this doubles the shipping costs) ?
If so, I assume I will get one before the other ?

Also I wanted to submit Giant Size X-men 1 (1974) and X-men 94 (1975).
I have no clue of the value so not sure if it's Economy or Standard.
Should I just send them Economy ?

I read on the forum that the value you declare is only for Insurance purposes.
Do some people declare less to pay less for slabbing thus accept to take a risk if anything happens to their comics ?

Thanks for your help !

What if I submit a comic under Value when it turns out to be Economy ?

CGC *could* charge you the additional amount. From what I've read on the boards that isn't a common occurrence though I have read posts of it happening.  IMO, I wouldn't worry about that and I would say to pick a FMV you're comfortable with if something happens to the book.  

Will CGC ship the tiers back to me separately (so basically this doubles the shipping costs) ?

Yes, if you submit books in multiple tiers, they'll become separate orders .

What I don't personally know is if you submit in 1 tier, and CGC end ups charging you for a higher tier for some of them.  I would imagine CGC wouldn't be doing that until after they are graded, otherwise how would they know what the value is (unless they do some type of internal pre-screen for that sort of thing). Best to call them if that's something you're worried about.  (or email at submissions@cgccomics.com )

Also I wanted to submit Giant Size X-men 1 (1974) and X-men 94 (1975).

Depending upon the ultimate grade, they could be quite valuable   I'd say to put some pics/scans in the 'Spare a Grade' forum and then you'll hopefully have a better idea what they are worth.   FMV determines tier level, CGC insurance reimbursement and postal insurance back to you.

Myself, I have both declared appropriately fair value and have 'taken chances'.  It's all up to your personal level of risk

Edited by csaag
add info