• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bizarro Speak - what do you think

9 posts in this topic

So I'm reading the latest Superman Batman (21? return of Loeb/McGuiness team) and I find myself rereading and inserting the correct words to make sense when Batzarro and Bizzaro talk? Personally I find it annoying? Anyone here that good at it that it makes sense the first time around, glossing over the dialogue? Or are you like me where I have to reread it a bit before I get the message? And where do these villains rank in the hierachy of supervillains? Are they just comic relief or do they have the potential to be hardcore first string baddies like Luthor, Joker, Darkseid?

So far, I'm not really getting into the Bizarro thing...they worked on the superfrineds TV show, but in comics...? confused-smiley-013.gif

So I'm reading the latest Superman Batman (21? return of Loeb/McGuiness team) and I find myself rereading and inserting the correct words to make sense when Batzarro and Bizzaro talk? Personally I find it annoying? Anyone here that good at it that it makes sense the first time around, glossing over the dialogue? Or are you like me where I have to reread it a bit before I get the message? And where do these villains rank in the hierachy of supervillains? Are they just comic relief or do they have the potential to be hardcore first string baddies like Luthor, Joker, Darkseid?

So far, I'm not really getting into the Bizarro thing...they worked on the superfrineds TV show, but in comics...? confused-smiley-013.gif

I had the same problem with the re-introduction of Supergirl. Having her speak in untranslated Kryptonese gave the story mystery only because we didn't know what she was saying. A better writer could have provided translation and still kept us guessing...

I get books monthly and the Superman Batman is one of the last books I read every month with this new storyline. sleeping.gif

Have to wonder what Jeph Loeb is thinking here. Up until this arc, S/B has been a series of big, loud arcs. Even if they didn't always pay off 100%, they were always must-reads. But this arc is his final, announced even before he became a Marvel exclusive.

So, all this time, he's been building up to... Bat-zarro? screwy.gif

So, all this time, he's been building up to... Bat-zarro? screwy.gif

Yeah, I was sort of alluding to this a bit in my OP above. You have the original creative team that sparked this title off with a successful debut. Then you had Turner's covers steal the glory a bit but there was always that holding out for Loeb and McGuinness' next collaboration on the title and you get sort of a let-down with Bat-zarro and poking fun at Marvel's Ultimates...dull city so far - reads more like a poor attempt to copy Bendis' style of humor.