• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What if Neal Adams did House of Secrets #92?

4 posts in this topic

Interesting enuf.....

I looked at the history of House of Secrets that began with #81. Neal Adams did nearly all issues until #91 then Bernie started with #92 (key issue) and did most of them until the last issue at #107 while Mike Kaluta did few of them between Bernie and others.

There is no question about Bernie's brilliant works of horrors. Nothing will change that.

However, it would be very interesting if Neal Adams did House of Secrets #92 instead of Bernie.  What are your thoughts?  I am sure Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson are the greatest artists.

Edited by JollyComics

Interesting topic.

If Neal had done 92, it would have been a more dynamic cover and art. Bolder, with more energy. Wrightson's granular horror art, especially on 92, was more like a Hitchcock film, the suspense was the horror, not just the beast itself. Neal could also draw that slow-simmering suspense too, but it was usually loaded with more vivid tension in the imagery as well. 

I love the work of both. 

Both superb artists.

For the subject matter, Wrightson was absolutely perfect; dark, gothic, Ingels / EC horror influenced, much edgier, less smooth and polished linework.  For me, Adams' art would've been too clean-looking.  Possibly also why John Totleben and Steve Bissette worked so well on Alan Moore's later run.

Here's some classic Graham Ingels art to compare with Wrightson...

760437.jpg

758619.jpg

694673.jpg

17 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Interesting enuf.....

I looked at the history of House of Secrets that began with #81. Neal Adams did nearly all issues until #91 then Bernie started with #92 (key issue) and did most of them until the last issue at #107 while Mike Kaluta did few of them between Bernie and others.

There is no question about Bernie's brilliant works of horrors. Nothing will change that.

However, it would be very interesting if Neal Adams did House of Secrets #92 instead of Bernie.  What are your thoughts?  I am sure Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson are the greatest artists.

If Neal had illustrated the cover, then Weezie wouldn’t be on it.

the entire value of HOS 92 rests squarely upon Weezie’s prominence on the cover :idea:

kidding, of course