• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sega's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 starring Idris Elba, Ben Schwartz (4/8/2022)
1 1

43 posts in this topic

‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Sequel in the Works (EXCLUSIVE)

“Sonic the Hedgehog” is getting a sequel.

Paramount Pictures and Sega Sammy confirmed on Thursday that they have commenced development on a sequel to the live-action family comedy. The sequel would reteam the filmmakers, with Jeff Fowler directing, and Pat Casey and Josh Miller writing the ----script.

The movie is still in the development stage so decisions have not been made yet regarding casting or a production start date.

Neal H. Moritz, Toby Ascher and Toru Nakahara are producing the pic, while Hajime Satomi, Haruki Satomi and Tim Miller are executive producing.

Based on the popular video game franchise from Sega, the first film, released in February of this year, tells the story of the world’s speediest hedgehog as he embraces his new home on Earth. Sonic (voiced by Ben Schwartz) and his new best friend Tom (played by James Marsden) team up to defend the planet from the evil genius Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) as he plots world domination. The family-friendly pic also stars Tika Sumpter.

Edited by Bosco685

Sonic the Hedgehog fans have been longing for a sequel since they were delighted by the Paramount film in early 2020. The good news is that a sequel is definitely coming and the first details regarding the film's production seem to have surfaced in late November of 2020. According to those production plans, the film should be getting underway as soon as next month but that does not mean Sonic the Hedgehod himself Ben Schwartz will be reporting for duty right away. Schwartz, who has Flora & Ulysses hitting Disney+ this month, talked about his sequel knowledge in an interview with ComicBook.com.

"I know that the sequel's happening, and they're gonna start filming soon," Schwartz said. "But because I'm the voice behind a speaker, I don't know any exact dates or anything like that. But I'm excited, I read the -script and it's awesome."

Schwartz does not seem to have a concrete date for when he will start lending his voice to Sonic again, though he might simply be keeping it to himself for now. Either way, it must be coming soon as the process for bringing the character to life calls for a collaboration throughout the entire cast. "Sometimes I read, like for the first one we did a big table read beforehand," Schwartz explained. "And, so we do a bit of that and then I record a bunch of my lines beforehand so they can play with it. But I'm the one that sees it on screen and I get to play with that they've filmed. So I get to really play with that."

I thought for a kids movie, the first one was really good and my sons liked it quite a bit.  I'm looking forward to this.  

Hopefully Jim Carrey comes back as Robotnik.  :wishluck:

41 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I thought for a kids movie, the first one was really good and my sons liked it quite a bit.  I'm looking forward to this.  

Hopefully Jim Carrey comes back as Robotnik.  :wishluck:

It definitely was a fun film.

I just like that they are poking fun at themselves to keep the fun going with the 'Sonic 2' title.

The Suicide Squad star Idris Elba has joined the cast of Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog 2. According to Elba’s own Instagram account, he’ll be voicing Sonic’s friend and rival Knuckles the Echidna.

Elba joins James Marsden, Tika Sumpter, Natasha Rothwell, Shemar Moore, Jim Carrey, and Ben Schwartz for the upcoming sequel, which races into theaters on April 8, 2022. Jeff Fowler will once again direct the Blue Blur in his new film. Pat Casey and Josh Miller will pen the -script.