• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The movie Phantasm should have become a comic

60 posts in this topic

The Phantasm films don't really play it for laughs at all. Of course, I didn't think Re-Animator was funny either, unless you consider it whimsically arch, particularly with its infamous Barbara Crampton/severed head scene.

Huh!? Re-animator, not funny? Come on now, are you seriously writing a zombie book? poke2.gif

Oh hey, October, I would also recommend the films of Larry Cohen. He is without question the forgotten hero of the horror/comedy face-off. Top choices would be It's Alive, The Stuff, and God Told Me To. I'm not sure that the last one is a comedy, but it's totally weird and worth checking out. Where else will you get alien abduction, a hermaphroditic Christ, and serial murderers in one flick?

Oh hey, October, I would also recommend the films of Larry Cohen. He is without question the forgotten hero of the horror/comedy face-off. Top choices would be It's Alive, The Stuff, and God Told Me To. I'm not sure that the last one is a comedy, but it's totally weird and worth checking out. Where else will you get alien abduction, a hermaphroditic Christ, and serial murderers in one flick?

27_laughing.gif I knew I could count on you for good recommendations. thumbsup2.gif I should just PM you directly next time I am interested in a specific genre.

sign-offtopic.gif

Since I mentioned that Phantasm was one of my favorite horror movies. I tried to think of other movies I liked as a kid.

Anyone seen Laserblast (at least that they'll admit to seeing.)

laserblast2.jpg

How about Saturn 3 (Ahhhh...Farrah Fawcett cloud9.gif)

80_saturn3.jpg

I remember the trailer... "Something is wrong ...on Saturn 3." grin.gif

that's what you remember about the flick? 893whatthe.gif

i remember praying to God Farrah's spectacular bits would come flopping out of that jumpsuit and then being somewhat not happy when they failed to do so

80_saturn3.jpg

i remember praying to God Farrah's spectacular bits would come flopping out of that jumpsuit and then being somewhat not happy when they failed to do so

I was too young to appreciate such things at the time. laugh.gif

80_saturn3.jpg

I was too young to appreciate such things at the time. laugh.gif

She did have a bit of "exposure" in the movie.

Is it funny? I might have to rent it. I didn't much like the first Phantasm, but I do like movies that mix horror and comedy like Re-Animator, Evil Dead, John Carpenter films, ect. Anyone else have any recommendations in the same vein?

One of my favorites and highly recomended: Return of the Living Dead

Just the first movie not the sequals 2 or 3!

2c%2520The.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>%2520The.jpg'>

Lots of great lines in this one along with a great soundtrack featuring music by the Cramps and others! thumbsup2.gif

589a8f1fd1d31_914043-Return20Of20The20Living20Dead20The.jpg.67bef9b5cc37e8df03886cf3af8e8ab2.jpg

While it was not even in the same league as the first film, I still found ROTLD 2 to be fun. Some genuinely laughable moments, it wallowed in it's own campness. I still have yet to view ROTLD 3 all the way through, though. frown.gif

While it was not even in the same league as the first film, I still found ROTLD 2 to be fun. Some genuinely laughable moments, it wallowed in it's own campness. I still have yet to view ROTLD 3 all the way through, though. frown.gif

Yeah, it was a steady slide downward in quality in movies 2 and 3. Movie 2 did have its moments; when asked who was the president (to check if he was a zombie or not) the zombie answers Truman! Or was it Roosevelt, I forget but it was a funny scene. tongue.gif

Movie 3 actually got interesting just at the very end (last 5 minutes?) as we learn the military is trying to make war machines out of the zombies and fails! makepoint.gif