• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's Sopranos MANY SAINTS OF NEWARK starring Michael Gandolfini (2021)

51 posts in this topic

Just finished watching this earlier today and had a really good time.

You get to see some of the later characters that surround Tony later in his life, influencing his decisions and actions. And you even get to see a few of the family stories Tony learns about with his mother and father play out in the movie.

I can see why David Chase felt he could go another round with a sequel. The credits scene clearly indicates the troubles ahead.

And now we know who really killed Dickie Moltisanti. And over the pettiest of slights. >:(

Yep good movie.  Not spectacular, but well worth the watch for Sopranos fans.  I didn't know anything about it other than what's in the trailer plus the fact that Tony was being portrayed by James Gandolfini's son going in, and I was surprised the movie centered on Dickie Moltisanti.  He really carried the film though, great performance.  And yea Junior killing him just for laughing when he fell in the rain was a really great match for how petty they showed him being throughout the series.

I thought every actor did a great job of acting like their parallel older actor.  The only one I thought was a bit off was the guy playing Steve Van Zandt's character.  He did a decent job of mimicking Van Zandt's unique voice and behavior affects, but they were a bit more exaggerated than even Van Zandt did them.  He got about 60% to 70% there but he just felt off the whole time.  At first I assumed that he was supposed to be a different guy because of the exaggerated way he was doing it, but eventually I realized nope, that's supposed to be Silvio.  VERY minor quibble though, I still enjoyed the Silvio actor's performance anyway and the film as a whole.

Edited by fantastic_four

While on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Chase discussed his relationship with Gandolfini on the show, saying that by the time they got to season 6, the two were barely talking. Gandolfini had a reputation for being difficult or combative on set and there are a multitude of stories from his The Sopranos era that continue to come to light. Now, Chase has added to that, saying that he got to a point at which he "hated" the actor. Here's his full quote:

“We were barely talking. I remember at the last party or screening or Emmy's, it was the last time we’d all be together, and we’re sitting at a table, [Gandolfini] went by with his food and my wife said ‘Jim, come sit over here,’ and he just ignored her and sat someplace else. He started that kind of stuff, for my wife I was infuriated. I suddenly said to myself, ‘I really hate that motherf***er, I hate that guy.’ That’s what it had come to.'"

The Many Saints of Newark debuted in theaters and on HBO Max just days ago, but while the Sopranos prequel hasn’t exactly impressed at the box office, it has been viewed by an impressive number at home. According to Samba TV, The Many Saints of Newark has been viewed by 1 million U.S. households on HBO Max over the weekend.

At 1 million households, The Many Saints of Newark has risen above the weekend viewership totals of similar movies, including Reminiscence, Malignant, Cry Macho, In the Heights, and Judas and the Black Messiah. Mortal Kombat still stands as the most-watched theatrical day-and-date movie in its first weekend, with 3.8 million U.S. households tuning in. At the moment, The Sopranos prequel has grossed just $5 million domestically, with a total of $7.3 million worldwide.

I thought it was trash. First 30 minutes felt disconnected and pointless. The advertising of this movie as a young Tony Soprano story was a complete bait and switch. 

Spoiler

The only character with an arc was Harold

Everyone else felt like they were doing a mediocre impression of the actual characters. 

Edited by Red84

On 10/5/2021 at 11:28 AM, PsylockeSmythe said:

I've only made it through the first 30 minutes of the movie.  Not sure if I'll finish it or not, it just didn't grip me as the TV series did.

Psy

I can see how the initial scenes felt disconnected from the show. But once Dickie starts taking more of a leadership role, that's when it heated up. And Tony was plugged in throughout.

If they truly do the sequel, you're probably going to get a feel for how the loss of Dickie inspired Tony even more to get into 'the life'. Which I never realized before now the level of influence that was.

My skinny on the movie, which I watched on HBO Max is as follows: :flamed:

After 1 hour I turned it off. It was boring.  IF I knew nothing of the Sopranos and just watched this as a stand-alone movie, I would have turned it off after an hour or less too.

This movie, despite trying hard to, added nothing to the great lore of the SOPRANOs and felt more of a let's pull on the heart-strings of those who loved the series by explaining if not reminding the viewer of particular character traits of certain characters than of a plot driven, character study - which it was def. not.  It felt pandering, pointless and unemotional. After an hour I felt nothing for any of the characters, who I had loved in the series. It lacked heart and had zero nuances other than a reminder of what was and what could have been. What a shame because you had all the elements for a classic movie but in the end the splendid ingredients did not add up to anything other than pie on your face - I would personally rate a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. my 2 cents :preach:

p.s. maybe I should have watched to the end but after an hour I had seen enough :flamed:

Edited by Roger66

On 10/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, Roger66 said:

p.s. maybe I should have watched to the end but after an hour I had seen enough :flamed:

thisrightthere.gif.8749655187c5cd7bcb045c1e0706c5a0.gif

Unless you were totally turned off, you missed out on the reveal in the end. But that doesn't mean you would like it. If anything, you may come back and demand your two hours back.

(shrug)

On 10/5/2021 at 1:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

thisrightthere.gif.8749655187c5cd7bcb045c1e0706c5a0.gif

Unless you were totally turned off, you missed out on the reveal in the end. But that doesn't mean you would like it. If anything, you may come back and demand your two hours back.

(shrug)

IF I have to be utterly bored for an hour at least to get to the 'reveal' at the end - the reveal ain't worth it in my book :preach:

On 10/5/2021 at 1:30 PM, Roger66 said:

IF I have to be utterly bored for an hour at least to get to the 'reveal' at the end - the reveal ain't worth it in my book :preach:

What part of 'unless you were totally turned off' did you miss? And by the way, I can't get this bold type to go away now!"

:baiting:

On 10/5/2021 at 1:49 PM, Bosco685 said:

Nope. Not gonna tell ya. Go watch it.

:baiting:

I watched it. Now it’s been a while since I watched the sopranos, but nothing in the movie struck me as a reveal. The movie felt like a prequel to the movie they actually advertised. 

On 10/5/2021 at 3:55 PM, Red84 said:

I watched it. Now it’s been a while since I watched the sopranos, but nothing in the movie struck me as a reveal. The movie felt like a prequel to the movie they actually advertised. 

In the TV series...

Spoiler

The story was a dirty police officer murdered Dickie Moltisanti.

Now it turns out Tony either lied to Christopher or the story was twisted over the years to hide who it was.