• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manufacturing Error, DC Cover with Marvel Interior
3 3

89 posts in this topic

Hello and thank you for having me here.

I've been collecting comic books on and off since 1979. My first job was at a comic book store (1987 to 1990) and now I sell comic books on eBay.

While going through a set of comics to put up in my eBay store, I came across Night Force #2 by DC.

As I always do before listing, I double check the issue number and date inside. I flip open the cover to reveal Fantastic Four #246 by Marvel Comics inside (Sept. 1982).

My questions is, should a manufacturing error like his be recorded with the CGC? Does it matter? Is there a market for this type of thing?

I'm fully aware there's a seller on eBay TRYING to get $1.2m for his DC Teen Titans #6 cover with Marvel Two-In-One #74 interior.

I've looked all around and have not found any recorded history on this manufacturing error. A little help and/or constructive advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

13 hours ago, jasoncg1971 said:

I've been collecting comic books on and off since 1979. My first job was at a comic book store (1987 to 1990) and now I sell comic books on eBay.

While going through a set of comics to put up in my eBay store, I came across Night Force #2 by DC.

As I always do before listing, I double check the issue number and date inside. I flip open the cover to reveal Fantastic Four #246 by Marvel Comics inside (Sept. 1982).

My questions is, should a manufacturing error like his be recorded with the CGC? Does it matter? Is there a market for this type of thing?

I'm fully aware there's a seller on eBay TRYING to get $1.2m for his DC Teen Titans #6 cover with Marvel Two-In-One #74 interior.

I've looked all around and have not found any recorded history on this manufacturing error. A little help and/or constructive advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I would definitly check with CGC directly (via email) as to how/if they would note that error.

There is defnitely a market for books with manufacturing errors, but like you said it may not be a million $ market.
You could throw it up on ebay with a high reserve and potentially guage how much market intrest there is. 

Im of two minds grading books like this.
On one hand a high grade would boost resale value and get the error officially noted. On the other, you lose out on the uniquness since you cant open the books and see the inner cover.

Can you add some pictures to the post? Be neat to see odd stuff like this.

15 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Just thinking out loud. Could the interior have been switched AFTER printing?

Of course it could have, but the staple placement on this book suggests that it would be difficult to do well. Not that I'm declaring it to be a guaranteed legitimate manufacturing error.

1 hour ago, jasoncg1971 said:

1349206330_NightForce2(INSIDEBACKCOVER).thumb.jpg.6d767bf3684d1dbd4f23ad6535dad5ea.jpg

Best picture! lol

On 6/1/2020 at 8:41 PM, jasoncg1971 said:

Thank you in advance.

Yeah I've seen that Million dollar dreamer price tag.. Everyone knows it's not worth a million but it just needs one buyer and someone along the way, years from now will think hey I'll give this guy $2,000 .. I would put it up for auction.. see what you will get... I think it will surprise you

8 hours ago, littledoom said:

Yeah I've seen that Million dollar dreamer price tag.. Everyone knows it's not worth a million but it just needs one buyer and someone along the way, years from now will think hey I'll give this guy $2,000 .. I would put it up for auction.. see what you will get... I think it will surprise you

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. :smile:

Question, do you think I should get it professionally graded and "slabbed" by CGC or try to auction it off as is, in it's raw format? Is one considered better than the other or is it just a matter of perception?

3 hours ago, jasoncg1971 said:

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. :smile:

Question, do you think I should get it professionally graded and "slabbed" by CGC or try to auction it off as is, in it's raw format? Is one considered better than the other or is it just a matter of perception?

If you had it certified by CGC, it will remove any uncertainty from buyers entering strong max bids .. since they will know it's authentic

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

If you had it certified by CGC, it will remove any uncertainty from buyers entering strong max bids .. since they will know it's authentic

Yeah but at the same time, it might decrease the demand since you can't see the error anymore.

4 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Cool.  Without a blue label I would just assume that the cover was married and avoid the purchase.  Not that I collect such oddities but a blue label would certainly make it more valuable than raw.    

Wouldn't it be a green label?  

How would this manufacturing error be considered "married"? Yes, the cover comes from a different source, but it's NOT a restoration.

I'm suspecting your comment points to the possibility of a forgery? A reliable and recorded CGC grade and label would dispel any such thoughts to potential buyers/collectors, correct?

4 minutes ago, jasoncg1971 said:

Wouldn't it be a green label?  

How would this manufacturing error be considered "married"? Yes, the cover comes from a different source, but it's NOT a restoration.

I'm suspecting your comment points to the possibility of a forgery? A reliable and recorded CGC grade and label would dispel any such thoughts to potential buyers/collectors, correct?

Definitely a strong possibility of forgery. It seems unlikely to me that this was even a possibility. 

8 minutes ago, jasoncg1971 said:

Thank you for the clarification. :smile:

I'm hoping someone with a better knowledge than me of the printing history of comics could educate us.  I suppose if both publishers used the same printer.  I'm assuming both issues were published the same month, although any forger would obviously also do that.  What might help is a better understanding of your ownership of the book and where you got it from.  If it's from an original owner collection then likely its authentic or from a guy off of craigslist ...

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I'm hoping someone with a better knowledge than me of the printing history of comics could educate us.  I suppose if both publishers used the same printer.  I'm assuming both issues were published the same month, although any forger would obviously also do that.  What might help is a better understanding of your ownership of the book and where you got it from.  If it's from an original owner collection then likely its authentic or from a guy off of craigslist ...

It's from a one-time owner, so it's authantic. It came from someone thinning out their collection.

I've decided to send it in to CGC for grading. It will be going out in tomorrows mail. I used the "fast track" option, so I'll hhopefully find out in about 15 days or so. 

Thanks for all your input. Once I receive the grade, I'll post an update here. :smile: