• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN.......PGM - Captain America 1

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m confused how a married centerfold lands this in a conserved label.  

My best guess is that it's because a book can't be Restored and Qualified at the same time, so it (luckily) prevails under the Conserved label guidelines.

So even though it would normally be a green Qualified label (for the married centerfold) and still be a 5.0 or end up a lower grade restored copy (for the reinforcement and the married centerfold) the Conserved label essentially saves it. And the married centerfold notation is still printed in capital letters on the label, which, along with the conservation notes, tells the buyer exactly what they're getting. 

Does that make sense?   (shrug)

14 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

it would normally be a green Qualified label (for the married centerfold) and still be a 5.0 or end up a lower grade restored copy (for the reinforcement and the married centerfold). 

Yes, and I agree 100%. But only as long as: "it would normally be a green Qualified label (for the married centerfold) and still be a 5.0 or end up a lower grade restored copy (for the reinforcement and the married centerfold)" were the actual label notes.   :gossip:  

Either way, blue, green, or purple, it's a sweet book to take a lot of pride in owning! 

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes, and I agree 100%. But only as long as: "it would normally be a green Qualified label (for the married centerfold) and still be a 5.0 or end up a lower grade restored copy (for the reinforcement and the married centerfold)" were the actual label notes.   :gossip:

I do see your point, JJJ, and it's a good one. Maybe I should have stayed...    hm

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

I do see your point, JJJ, and it's a good one. Maybe I should have stayed...    hm

My way of thinking is that the "borrowed" centerfold from another book altogether should qualify this for a qualified label, in name and logic. As soon as the word "married" enters the equation, the sum total of whatever other elements are inclusive in that equation just can't equate to a blue label classification. My opinion is that qualified is exactly what it is. 

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

My way of thinking is that the "borrowed" centerfold from another book altogether should qualify this for a qualified label, in name and logic. As soon as the word "married" enters the equation, the sum total of whatever other elements are inclusive in that equation just can't equate to a blue label classification. My opinion is that qualified is exactly what it is. 

So now the work around is to run a few pieces of archival tape on a married book to get a conserved instead of qualified label? I guess it makes as much sense as chopping up a book to remove color touch and get that blue label.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

My best guess is that it's because a book can't be Restored and Qualified at the same time, so it (luckily) prevails under the Conserved label guidelines.

So even though it would normally be a green Qualified label (for the married centerfold) and still be a 5.0 or end up a lower grade restored copy (for the reinforcement and the married centerfold) the Conserved label essentially saves it. And the married centerfold notation is still printed in capital letters on the label, which, along with the conservation notes, tells the buyer exactly what they're getting. 

In the absence of a qualified label, shouldn’t there be a deduction in grade or something for the married centerfold?  It has nothing to do with conservation.

To be accurate, shouldn’t CGC have a qualified/conserved label for situations like this?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

10 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

In the absence of a qualified label, shouldn’t there be a deduction in grade or something for the married centerfold?  It has nothing to do with conservation.

To be accurate, shouldn’t CGC have a qualified/conserved label for situations like this?

First the Special Marvel labels and now this...  :tonofbricks: