• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do you Decide What To Keep?

42 posts in this topic

How do fellow board members decide what to hold on to or get rid off?

Lets say I have about 700+ slabbed books,(9.0 or better)

1)Do you get rid of books below 9.4(Pedigree Books excluded)

2)Do you get rid of books under a certain dollar amount based on Raw OPG (lets say anything below a $100)regardless if its a 9.4 or better.

Some trying to get some input from others in what they would do.

Any opinions/advice will be helpful.

get rid of any book you won't be upset over losing later. and the ones that command high high dollars that you would be happy with lower grade copies of.

oh, and any BA books in 9.6 and up, since that market's going to bottom once this 1,000,000 BA book collection NeatStuff just bought filters out into the market

I draw a circle on the ground and throw them all in the air, whatever falls in the circle I keep and whatever falls out of the circle I sell. A friend also draws a circle, but keeps what falls out of the circle, and sells what falls in the circle. A second friend doesn't draw a circle at all, he just throws them in the air and sells whatever doesn't fall to the ground.

As I'm in the middle of a long, drawn-out process of thinning out and re-aligning my collection (fewer, but better books), I'll let you know how I'm doing it. Here's how it works:

First, don't sell your Hulks! sumo.gif

Now that the basics are covered, it's pretty easy for me - I won't hesitate to sell a book that I could easily replace later, but I'm keeping most of the rare/scarce books that I might not even find for sale later if I decide I want one of them back. A straightforward grade/cost analysis doesn't work for me since, for example,a NM Adams Tomahawk issue might only guide for $20 but it would be impossible to replace, as would a much more expensive (but very low-grade) GA book.

Keep what you love, sell what you don't.

Thats a pretty strong word to use considering we are talking about comics (I hope).

Although I do like almost all of them.

Dont worry DRBanner, I like my Hulks sumo.gif

I keep books that I enjoy and don't care what the price is.

I sell books that I can easily get again

and

I sell books that I look at what they are selling for and say ( I wouldn't pay that or it's crazy money) insane.gif

On occasion I sell something to help out a collector fill a hole. angel.gif

As far as graded books, they usually fall into the category of (I wouldn't pay that)

or it's 9.4 or higher where a 9.2 or below is just as good for a fraction of the price.

I picked up a Penn pedigreed Army Navy #5 in 8.0 (And it is beautiful....undergraded confused-smiley-013.gif.

There are many books out there that are wonderful in the 7.0 - 9.0 range that are great deals. thumbsup2.gif

Very good question.

1.) Mid grade CGC graded SA books - I can always obtain these books at a later time. Either that or I've aleady upgraded to a better copy.

2.) Books that don't fit my collection - For instance, I purchased a 9.4 copy of Primer #2. Since I have no interest in the character, the book has got to go.

3.) Multiple copies - I own 3 mid grade copies of Action Comics #252. I'll probably wait for the movie to come out and sell 2 of them. I've already sold many of my multiple copies. Plus, I always try to keep the book with better QP. For instance, I had 2 copies of Avengers #100. I sold the 8.5 copy with C-OW pages, but kept the better looking 8.0 copy with OW-W pages.

The books I'm keeping are most of my slabbed GA collection, semi-HG key Marvels, and my raw modern collection that I purchased from my LCS.

Nikos do you own that FF#214 CGC 9.8 or am I thinking about the Beyonder? Anyways if you do want to sell it or trade I am very interested.

Nope not mine, I usually dont slab anything that has more than a 35c book price, excluding variants and Modern keys.

What's your motivation for selling? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Always keep what you love! sumo.gif

If you're realigning your collection, sell the books that no longer fit.

If you're selling to raise money for something else, sell the books that you'll have the easiest time replacing, especially post 1968 Marvels. For example, I sold my Hulk 181 and GS X-Men 1, because they were in the 8.0 and 8.5 range. Eventually, I'll want those books again, and probably will pick them up in the 9.0 or 9.2 range. So, I didn't mind selling them now and having a hole in my collection.