• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is the fool selling......

32 posts in this topic

Quite possibly, the answer is much simpler than all those hypothesized here in this thread. Maybe he is getting OUT while the getting is GOOD as I'm sure that he would be advised adequately by those that feel the change in the wind directions of luck! Did anyone here happen to notice the magnitude and number of items being offered by Heritage in the MAIN auction catalog? This catalog, most probably 90% the sole property of ONE Ultra-collector (all of it!..the comics, pulps, artwork, posters, etc.) DWARFS the Cage collection in magnitude and dollar value. LOOK at what's being offered in that main catalog. The lesser collection by far of Cage aside, why do you suppose that Mr.$$$$$$$$$$.P_theHobby$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is selling HIS collection/holdings at this particular time, and not waiting for a better time in the future when they will be even MORE valuable? What a coincidence that he AND Nic Cage both want to "simplify their lives" (cash in the chips) at the exact same time. Do you really think that EITHER one of them NEED the money from the proceeds? When God needs a fast, huge, low-interest loan, if Gates is pre-occupied and the shakes are too busy haggling over the price of a bag of figs, he goes right to Mr.Hobby.

CI, Who knows if this is ALL of the pieces from the $$$$$$ Man's Vault. Remember, JP brought MULTI, MULTI MILLIONS to the table, and like ALL successful men, was NOT afraid to spend it, once he had a vision and a plan. I'm sure that this isn't all of it. Many don't realize the magnitude of this auction. When you combine Cage's books and JP's items in one multi-faceted sales event, it's as if you had a Car auction that had the best known of all the Ferraris for the past 40 years, a Daytona Vette, the original prototype for Louie Ruff's twin turbo "Yellow-Bird" 911, Hitler's Mercedes, Lennon's RollsRoyce, both Batmobiles, an 1896 Duryea, Babe Ruth's V-12 Cadillac Phaeton, a 1936 Auburn boat-tailed Roadster, in essence, MOST of the world's most coveted and famous autos up for grabs at once. I'm SURE that Mr.Hobby has WAY more and this is just the first spin of the merry-go-round, the first swing of the pendulum. I just happen to think that the rides may now be unplugged and the momentum gained with each successive swing and spin will diminish back to stasis, in the near future, as it was in the darkness of the pre-JP days.

Just wanted to point out that most of the post 70 ASM issues listed on their Signature auction don't have internet bids anywhere near the previous Signature auction..half of these books haven't even past the 100 dollar bid mark yet with a week left til auction.

Brian

The next auction isn't nearly as good, at least Heritage's November Internet auction doesn't have the books that this one does.

I've bid on a couple things in the November auction, but I don't expect to take them. I managed to get some GA Supermans for about 75% of Guide in this last (October) auction though.

I doubt they have another Signature auction for a while if this one doesn't do really well..but I think this one will do really well..BUT I think the next one (if within the next 3-4 months) won't do remotely as well as the previous ones..I'd also guess they'll realize this and wait for some time.

Brian

Economics...Supply and Demand limited by the consumers ability to spend.

The supply is far more limited than the last few posters have suggested. The reality is that this "flood" of books is a mere trickle. Yes, it is a flood by collecting standards because it is in most respects a desert when it comes to collecting Golden Age Comics. Any rain is a flood...but let's get real now...there is one Phantom Lady 17, there is one Terrific 5, there is one Exciting 28, there is one Suspense 3....wow let's get crazy there are two Marvel 1's. The reality is not how many books, but even in this GIANT auction...how few, so let's look at the none...there is no Fantastice 3, there is no Batman 11, there is no Startling 49, there is no Wonder Comics 1...no stop better yet there are vast numbers of titles with no issues represented at all...there is are no Black Terrors for example.

The Demand is greater than ever...look at the registered user increase on the Heritage Site, a few collectors leaving isn't bad for the hobby it's good, since the supply is so limited it frees up some books and stirs up the hobby.

The only question is the ability of the consumer to spend...at any given moment. The consumer will spend the hobby can and will absorb all these books and more...but can it do it in a span of four days and if so will there be a hangover and how long?

The answers are...Yes it can and will absorb these books...Yes there will be a short hangover...as in a few months...

Will the market get soft and will that make current purchases over priced. Not really the supply is tight the demand is growing.

And soft in the comic market never means cheap...I'd love to buy a run of high grade Phantom Lady's for $500 a piece...I'd love Action 1 for five grand...but these books cost more every time around... I keep waiting for the market crash that lets me buy more books, but it doesn't come ...soft in the comic market means locked into collections and no books available...until they can sell for more. Yes, there are deals to be had...but that is not the norm...specifically on Golden Age Books.

One last thought in an auction while books can be bid to high...the demand is real demand because it takes at least two to tango...every winning bidder will think he bid to much until he remembers there is an under bidder just below him that will think he should have bid just a little bit more. That is to say there is a real market not perceived, but real...and the winning bidder has some assurance that even if they did bid to high it is not by more than 10 % which compared to the stock market is a very small downside isn't it? While the upside is $$$$$$ for the investor and owning the book for the collector.

Hot in comics and cold has not traditionally referred to price of comics, but how long for them to turn over. The more they cost the slower they turn over, but they still don't get cheaper. I think the market will get cooler in that it will take longer for books to turn over...but it will not get cooler in price. The collector/investor who buys in this auction...will only be sad if it is there goal to flip books, but keep your books for a couple of price guides and even the over priced books will be cheap. The Rockford Books were selling for 1.5 to 2.5 times about 4 years ago...the guide is higher and now they are going 5 to 10 times.

Why Nick Cage dumped his books is interesting, but the truth is the people that will be buying them are glad he did and will be even gladder in five years grin.gif