• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is the fool selling......

32 posts in this topic

I spent some time looking at the Heritage site yesterday. Specifically at the

what's his name Mr Movie Star collection. Why in the world is he auctioning

off his collection? I know it must be for a worthy cause. Some charity that

will fend off disease from small children, some mighty crusade to end poverty

in the third world, some monumental debate as to Ginger VS. Mary Ann....

My wife sez she read something about Mr Cage selling his collection, can't

for the world remember why though.

Surely it cannot be because he is a newlywed. MS Pressley surely wouldn't

demand that he shed all the childish trappings of a comic collection. [ Hey

silly girl, take a look at the prices these puppies are currently fetching with

a week to go on the online side of the auction only].

Surely it cannot be because he is having financial difficulties. Allegedlly the

wedding to the afore mentioned MS Pressley ran in excess of 5 LARGE.

If Mr Cage is having a cash flow problem, duh, just do another movie. Six

weeks of work, $ 20 million, pay off the Blockbuster Bill and move on.

Surely it cannot be because he has lost interest in the medium of collecting

comics. But then again, I also heard he was turned down for the role of

Superman in the latest pitch by the movie execs. I would hope he didn't get

p****d enough to just dump his collection. And he really should have just

dropped them by the house here, I would have seen that they all get a good

home..[snicker, snicker....]

I will confess that his taste in comics is enviable. Nice collection to say the

least. I always wondered where all those Mile High Pedigrees ended up.

Here are the current theories, in order of their likelihood:

1) He got repeatedly scammed on resto books and is getting out.

2) His new girlie thinks comics are for geeks.

3) A cult got ahold of him and is making Nic sell off all his collectibles.

4) Even he can't keep up with the insane CGC prices and is cashing out.

Good question... I was pondering this myself. I guess you have to put yourself in his shoes...Bear with me as I delve into some psychology.

Why would someone with his income want to sell anything? He certainly doesn't need the money!...Trust me- as much as the auction is going to net him, it is paultry next to the salary of just one blockbuster!

If you put yourself in his shoes, you might come up with a compelling hypothesis. For instance....Who hasn't imagined this scenario?...

What if you could amass a truly one-of-a-kind collection like this one? What if you "completed" the imposible task of buying all these books through the years? What if you were a "completist" and you actually "completed" the collection? I bet many of you would want to sit back and show the world your acheivement... Yeah- I know it sounds conceited, but think about it.

I bet this is a common fantasy for die-hard comic book collectors...To have such an impressive collection that it is actually named after you. To finish the best of the best collection, and then....just sell it all. Who hasn't had this thought? What die-hard collector hasn't imagined HIS name on the cute little CGC slab? For people to be talking and wondering about YOUR collection?

It's only human to want fame....(Even amongst the comic book collecting realm.) Especially around the collecting realm!... Doesn't the collecting hobby slighty draw upon a human twinge of competition? What better way to "best" your fellow competitors than to watch as they fight over your spoils???

As much as I love my collection, I would love to complete it. As a die-hard collector, I would love to complete the task, and then show everyone my accomplishment by selling it off. What do you think?

"As much as I love my collection, I would love to complete it. As a die-hard collector, I would love to complete the task, and then show everyone my accomplishment by selling it off. What do you think? "

.........the thing is though, once you have the collector mentality it usually takes something out of the ordinary to make you stop..............just completing a run won't stop the collector, he will move on to another run, then another...........................

.......outside forces are at work here.................... shocked.gif

I don't think there's such a thing as a collector completing a collection of something like comic books...unless you own every single book out there of course..you're always gonna pick up a book, and see something that catches your eye..like myself, I have no interest in Nick Fury but I love Steranko's artwork so I bought his run on Fury..

Brian

He was on the Tonight Show and explained that he was selling his comics (he told Jay this was really difficult, as there was a lot of love and childhood memories tied up in them) and his cars because he wanted to 'simplify' his life. He had too many material things, too many collections. Jay asked if was his new wife's idea and he emphatically denied it.

This is just what he said. Whether this is the truth or not, I have no idea. Jay was, understandably, a lot more incredulous that he'd sell the cars, than the comics.

-- Joanna

That's very possible, since didn't he get divorced recently? From friends in the same predicament, I've heard that you never know all the that you own, until it comes time to divvy it up.

And Nic's liist must have been quite substantial, and maybe it opened his eyes to how much he had accumulated over the years?

.....i don't think its as simple as that................its not like he had a huge comic book collection (about 500 or so???)....................i think the whole scientology thing is a lot closer to the truth................. shocked.gif

Yes, I think Scientology was mentioned in the conversation with Jay Leno, as being one of the roots. I don't know anything about it, but I think it has a simplification principle in it. Truthfully, I do understand this need to clear out the past, the possessions, the overwhelming bulk of collectibles, etc. It can be rather freeing, and open you up to new things.

It might just be that simple, after all.

-- Joanna

Is Scientology the "religion" where people think we're waiting for some space ship to beam us up and take us home? Don't they also not believe in medicine so if they get sick they suffer through? I recall Jenna Elfman is a Scientologist and had some pretty...interesting...views..

Brian

When Mr. Cage was on Howard Stern recently, he said that "you don't own your posessions, they own you" (paraphrased). So it seems like it's just a change in philosophy if you take him at his word.

I certainly can't figure it out. Course I collect obscure cheap non CGC

fantasy titles to read and enjoy.

I DO infact think it was MS Pressley that forced him into the sale.

Female persuassions can certainly do that. Cash is always easier to

divvie up than solid assets. How much was the check that Jackson

ponied up? Did Graceland need a new roof? And what did happen to

that other shiney glove??????

If Scientology is at the root of all his 'enlightenment', I fully expect him

to sell off the mansion on the hill, offer all his cars on Ebay Auto,

and see him and MS P living in a VW Bus along the 5 outside

LA in the near future. Doesn't make sense does it........ Maybe I'm

just an un-enlightened with little to look forward to. I am married

with children.

For you murph0-

Prior to looking over the early Nick Fury issues and some Hulk covers - I had no clue about Steranko. I thought Jim Lee, Michael Turner, and J. Scott Campbell were the only names when discussing the comic female form. But after seeing this cover by Steranko,

HOLY SHNIKES!

I'm pretty impressed! grin.gif Something about that leopard skin leotard and the manacles and chains on her wrists tell you she's a SUPAFREEK!