• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reynold Jay Supports CGG!!

9 posts in this topic

Just got his newsletter, and CGG is listed as a supported service.

I don't know how well CGG will do, but any company that hits the Modern market with sub-$10 fees is gonna take a huge chunk away from CGC.

I wrote Reynold Jay about the CGG thing yesterday. It seems he just wanted to let his customers know about the service, not that he was indorsing them. This is what I wrote to him -

Wanted to ask about this new CGG service. Have you had

any books graded by them yet? How's the turn around time?

and his reply this morning -

I think they just opened up this week. Turn around time is probably

very prompt as they probably don't have any business yet. They mentioned

this at site and have posted the info. I didn't look that info over. I hope to

send a few books soon to see how I like the service.

If anyone actually gets one of these, please put up a fat scan of the holder and let us know your impressions. The one description (I think MK provided it) I've seen is "...like a CGC inner well wrapped in Saran wrap". Unless the well is rigid, or has a hard/rigid insert, I fear that 9.4/9.6's could quickly be bent into 6/7/8's. The CGC inner well, on it's own, is not very stable, and I imagine books have been damaged just from being removed from the wobbly well.

Unless the well is rigid, or has a hard/rigid insert, I fear that 9.4/9.6's could quickly be bent into 6/7/8's. The CGC inner well, on it's own, is not very stable, and I imagine books have been damaged just from being removed from the wobbly well.

Well, (harharhar) these things were rigid... so maybe the "inner well" description isn't doing it justice? Hell's wells, I don't know. I need to go mourn a basketball team. wink.gif

About a year ago a collector showed me a "mylar-like" backing board - rigid enough to prevent bending and/or damage to the corners, and crystal clear! I thought they'd be a big hit, but haven't seen any since then. Not even sure where he got them from?

I recall those boards in the early to mid-1990s. A dealer/collector around here had some but I dunno where he got them. He also had some 7 mil mylars which he put his comics in without any other backing! smile.gif

About a year ago a collector showed me a "mylar-like" backing board - rigid enough to prevent bending and/or damage to the corners, and crystal clear! I thought they'd be a big hit, but haven't seen any since then. Not even sure where he got them from?
I would LOVE to see these.

I handed a similar idea to Bill Cole via email a few years ago but never got a response. The idea was to produce a bag that is 2 to 4 mil on the front and the flaps, but which has a back that is much thicker--10 to 15 mil I was thinking. The idea is that the bag doesn't need a board--it's both a bag and a back-support in one. I suggested that if it was too expensive to produce them all as one unit, then a separate slab--or even a cheap non-mylar slab--could be sealed into the back of a "pocket" designed into the back of the bag.

I got this idea from Ultra-Pro--they've got a bag/board combo where a standard board is sealed inside the back of a bag so that they're one functional piece to the collector. I like that idea, but I like the idea of that board being clear MUCH, much better.